Nvidia and AMD Cross Multi GPU Tested In DirectX 12

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 26, 2015.

1. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    If nothing else, in a few years, this will be pretty cool for those skeleton builds from old PC parts.

Video cards, especially high end ones, become obsolete very quickly. They require a lot of power and once they age past a certain point, it's hard to find a buyer/home for them since most who'd be interested, with a rig capable of running a high end video card are already using same/newer tech.

Having the ability to use two video cards from varying manufacturers could breathe some new life into these old, obsolete cards.

That said, I always use a single video card myself.

2. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    I'd like to know why does it require a DirectX 12 game for this to work it should have been built into windows 10 and available for all game regardless the engine running the game maybe directX 10 and up would have been a better thought

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    But nVidia is still able to detect presence of AMD drivers/HW ID...

4. Lowice

Lowice Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 980ti OC
    Sad a monster card like 980ti and fury get so low fps... Still sticking to 1080p then since I do not like to play with under 60fps.

5. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire V64 LC
    The main thing is that thanks to this feature, we can simultaneously use dGPU and iGPU of APU. Incoming ZEN APU can be the best gaming processor.

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Nice to see this being attempted, and as each vendor has strengths that the other lacks you can see how it could be used well.

Don't see it taking off though, multi GPU gaming is annoying enough as it is without mixing drivers from two GPU's.

Maybe I missed it, but couldn't see anything mentioning how the vram situation works with this, 4GB if mixing a 980ti with a Fury X, what about HBM?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  7. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    The point is you could add a spare relatively cheap dx12 card to your rig to get a boost.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    SFR/Tile Based rendering is one thing I need before I'll consider multi GPU, even if that is at cost of part of performance due to post-processing taking place afterwards. Reducing fps a bit or at cost of having deeper flip queue than 1 or 2.

But having 2 frame lag at 180fps is not bad at all in comparison to having 1 frame lag on 60 fps.

9. ETAxDOA

ETAxDOA Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    2x7990

So two 7990's would....
    , act as four 7970's with 3gb per card (12gb total) :-D
    , or act as two 7990's with 3gb per card (6gb total) :)
    , or act as one card with 3gb :-(
    ???

10. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Actually, you're wrong. Microsoft demonstrated it themselves:

[​IMG]

11. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
    Its not that it can't be done (its supposedly a theoretical possibility with DirectCompute), just that no one is doing it and its been an option since DX10. It's either ridiculously hard to code for, or devs aren't finding any incentive to do AI this way.

12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    QFT.

Also, if you happen to have a Fury X and a 980Ti, and different games need different 'first' cards, it takes the practical use out of it. Not everybody can and wants to switch cards in his rig just because he's switching back and forth through games.

Same as I stated with the first Ashes 'benchmarks', too early to take this results as true and fixed and 'never going to change'.

13. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Two thumbs up! :)

14. Yecnot

Yecnot Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 270 2GB
    Why not?

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Sli has support for many many games.

16. Merlena

Merlena Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070 8G
    The way I feel it... You never know what nVidia can cook together, even if its good or bad. But it wouldn't surprise me if nVidia just came with some hidden code with a long-worked on driver that will reveal features we don't even know about.. :S or really I got no idea. But the GPU market and competition these days are more unpredictable than.. god damn anything.

17. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    would be nice if in the options you could set your primary GPU that would make things much easier

18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    That's true, to me personally the tech would only be halfly as useful if you can't do this by a software switch under your OS environment (not even rebooting into BIOS would be a practical way to solve this imo).