NVIDIA Ampere cards well under way for a release in September? Flagship 50% faster?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Caesar, mohiuddin and Maddness like this.
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I'm afraid to even imagine the price of that thing.

3. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    They state the world is currently in, they would be silly to price there cards at the current Turing prices, let alone increase them. Especially with some rumors saying that second gen RDNA could be competitive.

Caesar likes this.
  4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I got super excited when i saw the partial title: "NVIDIA Ampere cards well under..." :(

The1, kegastaMmer and Maddness like this.

5. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I doubt AMD will beat them, however, that being said - I think AMD will provide a card that will be around the same mark of 2080Ti (maybe a tad bit faster) + it will feature ray tracing features.

In turn, this means that Nvidia won't be able to push the price premium for the mid-range cards anymore. So my hope is that Nvidia will have an extortionate price only for 3080 Super and 3080Ti, meanwhile, 3080 will be more or less a decent all-rounder card for 1440p.

Caesar, fantaskarsef and Maddness like this.
  6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I'd be extremely surprised if Nvidia lowered prices. If 3090/3080 Ti really does boast 24GB of GDDR6X, there might be some pressure for Nvidia to make it a bit more expensive, though, unless they want to cut their profits. Many potential buyers might have skipped Turing because of the prices, but at the end of the day, if they want to keep gaming, they can't postpone an upgrade forever, so Nvidia might count on them using their savings now. AMD is in an underdog position, so in order to threaten Nvidia, AMD would need to offer much better, not just comparable, for a competitive price. I don't believe Nvidia is overly concerned about it. By the looks of it, Nvidia will also beat AMD by a couple of months.

Other than that, I feel like Nvidia tried to set a new pricing standard with Turing. It might have hurt the sales somewhat, but it's not like they would have made a deficit. After a while, people will get used to the new prices and accept them as the norm. If possible, AMD will embrace that scheme since they also want to make as much money as possible.

Xuanzang likes this.
  7. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I really hope that won't be the case with prices. Yes - tech and inflation always increase prices, but if we will have generation-over-generation price jumps as we had with Turing..... then by 2025 we will have RTX 5090 at 2200$ for reference model? That's a bloody joke.

DeskStar and Maddness like this.
  8. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    RTX 3070 RTX 3070 Ti have really low amount of vram if AMD puts more im sold

9. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Just looking at the number of cores I think the 3080 is the only sensible one worth having. (So far these leaks have been disappointing in terms of potential performance gains, I was expecting closer to double the performance of previous gen given die shrink & new architecture - say 70% minimum).

10. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    I'd expect RDNA2 cards to be pretty decent, based off console reveals. TFLOPS was around 2080 Ti with cut down versions of RDNA2, 80CU would be like crossfire 5700XT performance levels without crossfire overheads and profile problems. TFLOPS is poor way of measuring gaming performance though, hopefully it's least 25%-30% faster than 2080ti.

Fediuld and mohiuddin like this.

11. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    Pretty sure the pricing will be a huge turn-off for me ($1000+ for the Ti). The 3080Ti will still be sold out for months after release though, so not like Nvidia cares. If you don't get one in the first 30 seconds after release, you basically won't be getting one for another 6 months probably.
    Also, people will be buying them by the dozens and selling them on Ebay. That's for sure.

12. SniperX

SniperX Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080S Trio
    As it states, the 3090 (which is the Titan) will have 24GB RAM, same as the Titan RTX.

What is not listed here is the 3080Ti, my guess is it will have 14-16GB RAM

Maddness likes this.
  13. sbacchetta

sbacchetta Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    if those rumors are true, I predict Big Navi perf being between the 3080 and the 3090 (titan), probably closer to the 3080. 3080 price at launch around 1k USD, with AMD big Navi coming for the same price around the end of the year, Nvidia making the 3080 100 USD cheaper in response and releasing a 12GB 3080ti, perf close to the titan, before spring next year for 1200 USD...

14. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @cryohellinc
    lol. talking about a 3080S, when a non S hasnt even been released.
    lol that a 3080 is a 1440p card, when my 2080S is doin 1440/2160p@60 just fine, and most games even cranked up IQ.

15. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Thats where amd need to step in to give nvidia some competition so they can lower there prices for the high-end market.

16. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Point 1 - they will release the S version eventually.
    Points 2 - I don't care how you play games.

stryfe2010 likes this.
  17. Martin5000

Martin5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    The 2080ti is only 25% faster than the 1080ti why would anyone believe this being 50% faster.
    Let the hype continue.

GSDragoon, Fediuld and mohiuddin like this.
  18. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3090
    Fwiw I'm the guy who, because gaming is an important part of my life, I buy the top gpu every Gen, going back to a Radeon ddr even before voodoo even before the ti4600 and 9800pro. Anyway, currently running a 2800ti, this Gen might be the first I skip in over 20years. Issue is that there are no new pc action rpg I give a crap about. If ghost of tsushimi was on pc and dipping under 60fps at ultra I probably would buy but right now rdr2 is the most demanding and newest game I am running. And the 2080ti plays it wonderfully.

There are no big advanced tech games around the corner I have any interest in playing.

Tldr: Nvidia can have my 2k$ when a new advanced tech game I care about actually cones out.

Don't think I am alone, if not nvidia might have crossed the tipping point.

19. TalentX

TalentX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX4090 AIO
    I don't think that they can push the price to 1k for let's say RTX 3080Ti or whatever.
    Many people, worldwide, had lots of financial trouble due to the Corona Parody (Yes, parody, not pandemic)
    So customer budgets to spend 1k for a new GPU is going to become less likely.

I believe Nvidia and AMD are aware of that.

20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yet prices are increasing even so, even the actual game prices are talked about as possibly being 70 - 80 next gen instead of 60 - 70 for the base editions regardless of things like subscription models or micro transactions.
    New console hardware too although Microsoft and Sony can eat some of the cost themselves for aggressive launch pricing here and then hardware like fancy TV's and audio setups although the HDR 4k OLED segment is going to remain a smaller part of the enthusiast market for a while yet.

This year even with the Corona there's been a number of increases to expenses even food is getting more expensive and there was another hike in ISP costs but that always happens anyway so no big surprise there.
    Flagship cards being the new Titan equivalent so the 3080Ti can the priced at almost whatever with the 3080 and then 3070 and variants and lower-tier models more cost efficient in price/performance scale but I would expect the base cost to be a bit higher overall even outside of the enthusiast segment of hardware that some small part of the consumer market just can buy regardless because it's faster and the price isn't a problem at all.

Which I would expect NVIDIA to be aware of, likely AMD too however their Navi GPU flagship competes against NVIDIA's when the hardware is actually available and can be tested.
    (AMD can price the card to match but if NVIDIA is faster that's what will be bought plus market mind-share and what not and their existing lead though that applies not just to the enthusiast segment.)

EDIT: Pretty sure AMD actually stated the mid-range was what they were selling and focusing on primarily though by this point the 5700 as a bit of a mid-range product that happened to perform really well sorta skewed things a bit although it used to be priced accordingly at least to begin with. :D
    (OEM's and such probably as another very profitable source although partially in the mid-range already in terms of what GPU's go in these when it's a dedicated graphics card.)

Oh well, we'll see and we should also hear something in terms of sales expectations or actual sales figure after a month or so and initial reports and all that after these are on the market.

Both the pricing level and how well it sold together with whatever the launch lineup looks like with I assume the mid-range oriented GPU hardware for early 2021 then.
    Unless that was just AMD or possibly just NVIDIA although both could be aiming for enthusiast and high-end for now and then follow up in a few months too with the mid and then low-end parts and the pricing for what these will be starting from.
    (Plus the usual about early availability and potential price markups and what not.)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020