NVIDIA Allegedly Moving Ampere to 7 nm TSMC in 2021

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 ti @ 2100 mhz
    Actually a very comparable situation with the 280, which was very power hungry and hot (by that times standards), but less so after the die shrink as the 285.

Guessing the same could very well happen with the 3080 and 3090.

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Maybe 3070 S and 3080 S renewed on this node with additional benefits which NVIDIA could leverage for higher clock speeds and extra performance keeping a similar power draw which could put them in a more definitive lead against AMD's RDNA2 when that launches alternatively widen the gap and performance lead a little bit extra whichever it ends up being.

Could keep the existing production for the regular edition possibly also the other rumored / mostly confirmed double memory models getting these out faster though I don't recall any dates for these 7nm TSMC models being mentioned. First half 2021 I would assume.

Wondering but somewhat expecting "Hopper" on I think the info here is 5nm is going to be in 2022 but there could still be more for 2021 from both AMD and NVIDIA and then there's also what Intel's GPU products will be like whenever these are launched.

EDIT: Should also be a 3060 and likely a 3050 possibly S versions too for more mid-range products at some point likely early next year.
    Currently there's high-end 3070 coming later this month, flagship model 3080 and enthusiast 3090 after all, 3070's priced more aggressively for a fairly nice performance level if it's going to be the new 2080 (or Ti?) but there's still room for a few GPU's under the 500$ price range.

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    People, and my self included, said the same thing about AMD and their CPU's back in 2016 and over 10 years prior to that as well and look where we are now....

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    They were a different uarch?

5. brogadget

brogadget Member

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    What is going on here? I simply wanted to inform myself about new GPU cards to kick out my old AMD setup. Thought, okay, new 3080/90 are pretty good, I will switch to nvidia this time. What the hell?!?!, no cards available, all those rumors, caps issues, CTD, no OC headroom anymore...maybe I should stay away another few months from this insane GPU chaos. I get the feeling, updating my GPU is a very bad idea right now.

edit: and then the prices!?!? Are they crazy? I heard companies even "scalping" their cards. Totaly insane everything right now. Now I heard AMD will bring up a new card as well end of this month. Maybe I should stick to AMD, where you dont´t have to pay +$$ for a kind of an "image"....

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Nope, GT200

Dragam1337 likes this.
  7. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 ti @ 2100 mhz
    Ye, both tesla 2.0

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Yes, of course you are right. The difference is that AMD has a history of "blowing the competition out of the water" and "being as fast as their competition's lineup", you name the phrase. I prefer to simply wait and see real benchmarks before claiming any marvellous changes in the market...
    And same goes for any streamer / youtuber / "tech journalist" who claims to have "sources very deep within / very high up"... there's a lot of rumors out there, and a lot of opinions (which is not the same as facts, a thing often forgotten), and only after the release of w/e product it is about, we shall see. And sometimes people should be more mindful with giving their opinions to not fire unfounded hype.
    And that's the core of what I tried to state with the post you quoted that single sentence out of.

Maddness and CPC_RedDawn like this.
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    A history that does not and has never applied to the RTG.

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Probably true. But to be more precise, I was actually referring to people's expectations, AMD seldomly ups their own hype with nothing to base it on, it's biased rumor mongering that breaks their neck, if it happens.
    The rest of the discussion could be tame and unemotional. Unless they hire their PR department to diss Nvidia again for no apparent reason but to little avail (iirc Vega vs Nvidia marketing).

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Maybe they'll drag someone into a limo again and show off a card in a briefcase.

12. suty455

suty455 Member Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    I see a all red future in my PC case