NVIDIA Allegedly Moving Ampere to 7 nm TSMC in 2021

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 13, 2020.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    3000 series are good cards but damn this launch is a complete and utter disaster.

First they lied about the performance,
    they then paper launched the cards,
    the cards become sold out and turn into gold dust thanks to scalpers and just overall low inventory,
    then we had the POSCAP fiasco for third party cards,
    drivers to fix crashing and limit boost clocks had to be released,
    AIB's begin to scalp their own cards in order to rip off their own customers (nvidia should of cut ties with them instantly!),
    Nvidia gives up and changes release of 3070
    Nvidia gives up again and cuts sales of all cards and only sells through best buy!!
    Nvidia gives up again and is now looking to move fab to a different company and node!

Did I miss anything?

AMD if you screw this up now there is something seriously wrong with you!

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Did I miss something, or are you talking about the usual marketing BS that needs a lot of foot notes to make sense? Since those "XX% faster than card YY" is usual marketing BS, I wouldn't give too much about it at all.
    And to be fair, if "Moore's Law is Dead" guy is right, Nvidia wanted to go to 7nm TSMC in the first place, but messed it up so they had to go Samsung 8nm, so actually they're not giving up but gave up and now try to catch up :D

Dragam1337 likes this.
  3. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti SC2
    As funny as this statement is, Samsung 8nm is based on their 10nm process. And is essentially Samsung 10nm++. While TSMC 7nm is a generational leap. So yes, that 1nm makes a huge difference.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    Yea I'm talking about the "2x 2080 Super" comments made in the Nvidia 3000 series reveal video. Sure, I know they generally over hype the products but look we just had AMD on stage the other day showing a slide that had -3% performance. Sure other numbers could of been (and probably are) best case scenario/cherry picked but their presentation just seemed that little bit more genuine with them also saying "we know you are going to wait for benchmarks", which I found quite refreshing.

Also Moores Law Is Dead has been pretty spot on with his leaks, same goes for redgamingtech. Both have said that Nvidia tried to make TSMC and Samsung fight for the Ampere contract, all whilst they did AMD was quietly already contracting TSMC and filling up their fabs. TSMC never budged on the cost, and their workflow got backlogged so Nvidia were forced to go with Samsung even though Nvidia always wanted TSMC.

Dragam1337 likes this.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    In before having low clock and high clock Ampere.

6. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I think the 3080 performance for price is quite impressive, but it's the 3090 that is a rip off in my opinion. Double the price for an average of 10% performance increase. I understand some people need the extra vram for other applications, but for gaming its a horrible deal.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Rofl.. He absolutely has not been spot on with his leaks. He was wrong about almost everything he said, to the point where I think he should be shunned from everywhere.

He wrote:

Most of the gaming line up on Samsung 8nm, tippy top on TSMC. Was wrong.

DLSS 3.0 works inherently with any game that uses TAA. DLSS 3.0 isn't a thing.

NVCache coming, Nvidia's answer to HBCC - leverages both DDR and SSD. NVcache isn't a thing, RTX IO is, doesn't use DDR and GPUDirect has been known for a while anyway.

Double the Tensor Cores per SM. Actually has half the tensor cores per SM.

RT is 4x better per tier. Is only 1.9x times better per tier.

RTX on shouldn't lower performance much. Still massively lowers performance.

Greater Memory compression (Tensor Accelerated Lossless VRAM compression) Doesn't exist.

He said cards would boost to 2.2Ghz. They don't.

Power Consumption Lower Per Tier LOL

_

I can't think of a way to be more wrong than him and after it became clear he was going to be massively he wrong, he just started throwing crap at the wall, saying every rumor he could think of.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    Turanis, yasamoka, ZXRaziel and 7 others like this.
  8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    LOL yeah he did exactly that.
    Remember his claims about having a friendly Nvidia insider? It's how his whole thing got started.
    If the cleaning lady was his Nvidia connection, his leaks would be in a far better place. No disrespect to cleaning lady.

I mean the guy is a beast!
    Dead wrong about everything, itself an accomplishment - but does that interfere in with his "leaking" schedule. NO SIR :D

9. mrsenseX

mrsenseX New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    Samsung has already moved away from the old 8nm. Their main node is 7nm and they started to move to 5nm. This means it's not Samsung's fault that they can't produce enough chips with 8nm at this point. Samsung 7nm is very mature, yet nVidia chose 8nm to save pennies.

10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o

I absolutely agree with you. Although that doesn't have to do much with the "lying" part I was referring to (which turns out, we were talking about the usual marketing BS talk with releases, not actual lies just... conditional truths).

And yes, I should sell the term of "conditional truths" to some people, since "alternative facts" can't be by definition.

As for "Moore's Law is Dead", still waiting to see how his AMD leaks turn out.

jbscotchman likes this.

11. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    I haven't seen the laptop market mentionned anywhere in the thread?
    The gaming laptop market is steadily growing for years, Nvidia could use TSMC 7nm to even the odds against AMD in compact forms.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  12. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Well to be honest Mr. Bean I don't think there are many laptop gamers around.

13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Yes, the biggest insult to consumers intelligence that was ever uttered by JHH in his career: "Demand is overwhelming. Not a supply issue, but a demand issue".

A statement purely designed to over-hype the appeal of Ampere to make consumers think they are looking at the most special product in GPU history.

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Call plumber for him in advance, or everything will smell nasty. I mean, dude self advertised on every occasion in 3rd person.
    There can be psychology study made around his videos. And that's likely only value anyone should be looking for while watching them.

15. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Some have forgotten few facts

a) Samsung 8nm is no different than a direct shrink of the failed Samsung 10nm, with EUV added to remove defects.

b) Nvidia is NOT using the full 8nm Samsung but a new process that is 8nm in name without EUV. Because the dies are too big for the EUV lenses. Hence Samsung advertises the process as "8nm Nvidia"

c) With an already high failure process (Samsung 10nm/8nm) without EUV which corrects the defects, is logical that there are issues manufacturing these dies. Same issue will occur at TSMC 7nm as the dies are too big.

So doubt Nvidia moves Ampere to TSMC 7nm, more likely their new GPUs coming in 2021 which are MCM. Hell it will be more difficult to make the 3080/3090 on 7nm with even more defects while it will be more expensive.

Same issues AMD is having, as they are limitations.

Those who believe Nvidia will come with 5nm Hopper with monolithic dies and no MCM, should start reading about 5nm limitations.

16. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060 Super
    There's no way Nvidia will launch new uarch next year. Those Ampere buyers would feel ripped-off. I think they'll just stick with the 2-year cadence + monolithic die for consumer cards.

The A100 successor I can imagine will be on 5nm and MCM, 'cause price won't matter so much there.

17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    ...... You're not very familiar with how nVidia rolls, are you? I'd be shocked if they don't do that, then gaslight the 8nm Samdung 3K series buyers.

HandR likes this.
  18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    I don't recall a time they've done this in the timeframe we're discussing. And with things like the Super series, or Ti, if people are truely upset that their card is loosing a tiny amount of value 6+ months after they bought it, then they have other issues.

I personally plan on buying a 3080 or 6900 in the next month or so. If it's replaced next year by a better card on a better process then I'll either consider buying that card or I'll be happy with what I bought because I knew what I was getting.

I'd much rather Nvidia be innovative and push new architectures every year, compete with AMD to the slight detriment of previous customers, than stagnate in order to avoid offending people.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Noisiv, yasamoka, Maddness and 5 others like this.
  19. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Well I watched his videos the first time when the leaks and rumors about Ampere and the next cards of AMD began ramping up. He was right about that thing with Nvidia not using TSMC 7nm, but besides that, he hardly had any more intel than other youtubers.
    What I can say is from the first moment I had the impression he was pretty biased towards AMD for different reasons. But I thought I'd give him the benefit of doubt, let's see how the stuff he says works with actual releases 6 months later. When AMD releases their products, I will have my opinion about him and his videos.
    Right now I just watch them when somebody posts them here, but I have a feeling he will fall to victim of his own expectations down the road, especially when he thinks AMD will blow Nvidia out of the water in 2020 / 2021 when it comes to GPUs. I seriously doubt that happening.

Maddness likes this.
  20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    GTX 260/280 > 265/275/285?

Besides, the 7nm products will just be supplemental to the production of GA in general, it won't supplant and replace the 8nm.

Dragam1337 likes this.