NVIDIA Adds Telemetry to Latest Drivers; Here's How to Disable It

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by (.)(.), Nov 6, 2016.

1. chronek

chronek Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980 GTX 4GB gddr5
    They say it may be good that there is telemetry and we are paranoid... But if there was drivers without telemetry and drivers with telemetry and running in background process what you would choose? Most would choose without, because they do not need it, do not want it, it slows their computer and is risk to privacy .... But we have no choice.... Is Nvidia second Microsoft forcing new business system without user opinion? Is we should look for another alternative hardware, as we look constantly for alternative to Windows?
    Good that i not bought 10x0 card, will buy AMD next time...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  2. BarryB

BarryB Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Maybe GFE really means Gathering F*cking Everything ;)

3. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Don't throw the work BS at me. lmao. There's more to working from home than this ****. You have more compliancies to meet depending on the work. Not this. Hard troll, soft landing.

4. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SLI
    You don't need to use the "custom" option to remove the files. Just extract the driver to a folder and delete all the files and folders relating to GFE.

5. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    My phone likes to autocorrect me when it shouldn't.

Still a useless thread unless you're paranoid.

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    Strange you would post in a thread you have no interest in, stating you have no interest in it.
    I gave reasons its not paranoia http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5355504&postcount=17
    Can you explain why they are of no relevance?

7. Khronikos

Khronikos Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC2 1080ti
    The problem is these ****ers never want to make anything optional. Ever. And that there is the problem.

If anyone needs telemetry it is definitely Nvidia. So I hope all you ****ing insane SLI plus users leave this on for the sanity of all.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    You obviously don't remember the faulty mobile GPUs that NVidia knew about, and tried to avoid paying on until a class-action suit was filed against them.... Can't get much shadier than selling faulty products and refusing to replace them....

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    The GTX970 memory debacle wasnt too pretty either.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    No, but the G84m and G86m debacle was far worse. NVidia knew from the start that they had thermal issues and were prone to failure, but sold the chips anyway. When the chips started failing, NVidia refused to replace them and instead blamed laptop makers. During the class-action suit against NVidia over the matter, it was found that NVidia knew the chips were going to fail pre-maturely, yet decided to sell them anyway. Based on evidence discovered during the class-action suit, the FTC should have pursued NVidia, but never did.

For me, the GTX970 memory debacle made no difference. The card performed as I expected it to.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016

11. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra
    http://www.gamers nexus.net/industry/2672-geforce-experience-data-transfer-analysis

Informative article about it, just remove the space.

12. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    You never understood it? Then you probably didn't even read, or if you did, actually understand 1984

I have nothing to hide, but it's complete fallacy to say I shouldn't worry about my privacy just because I do not participate in criminal or other questionable activities.

Saying we shouldn't worry about privacy if we have nothing to hide is like saying free speech isn't important because you have nothing to say

It's sad there's a few of you here that seem to have rather low IQ and attack and call out others because they choose to believe they have the right to not have processes running on their PC that they don't want running. I don't need it, then I don't want it running. End of story.

Next time try something other than your very flimsy strawman argument. If I apply your (lack of ) logic, then we might as well stop doing everything, lay down and die, because we're going to die one day anyway. You're really not very bright are you?

Ahhh another witless fool.

Your very weak attempt at an analogy has absolute no credibility nor relevance to this thread. Go back to your cave, troll.

The useless thing here is your comment, nothing else.

13. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti
    Build secondary computer, leave telemetry enabled and run only old games there, that's gona teech them, lol.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Install drivers with telemetry > remove NVIDIA card > install AMD card > laugh like evil genius

15. BlueRay

BlueRay Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Then AMD installs telemetry few months later :grin:

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    :D No doubt

17. mcfart

mcfart Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 5970
    This. Here's why I don't like:
    1. I don't want resources being dedicated to my OS, my GPU drivers, Steam, Origin, etc all harvesting info on my processes/games/whatever. I don't care if it's minimal, it still provides no benefit to me. Telemetry is used for harvesting info under the guise of gathering diagnostic data. If it purely was for diagnostics, it would be possible to disable. But since MS/Nvidia wanna make money, they make it require workarounds to disable telemetry...

2. I buy Windows, and I buy Nvidia cards...so why should these companies get to double-dip on me by harvesting info they can sell to ad companies? If we ignore privacy issues, then companies will push for more info-gathering.

18. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    Sorry but to me this seems to be paranoia.
    - If someone wants to spy on you they can do it via your ISP or other things;
    - a good hacker can enter your PC every time;
    - over 90% of the apps (but you don't know) for PC (and other devices) send info back home (or try);
    - a data package can be send via your PC every time and you don't even know, even if you filter the packages, you are not secure.
    - the resources used are so low that ... ne need to speak about it (if no bugs)
    - you can be watch every day and every second....
    - for PC even the bios can gather info if needed....
    No need to go further.....
    The only way to be secure is to unplug your internet cable and use the PC in a buncker, but even then you will not be 100% safe.
    Why do you think that many secure location are in special design rooms with special security measures...
    As for Nvidia, i think they did this in the past, but now they don't care if you know or not...
    PS
    If you make your own OS, SW, GAMES and hardware, maybe then for a short time (until someone hacks you) you will be ok :p

19. angelgraves13

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    You're probably the same type of fool who has Facebook and posts everywhere he goes and everything he does, yet posts here about privacy.

Yeah...I'm the troll. Sure, whatever helps you sleep at night.

See...I can be rude too, and I don't even know you.

20. angelgraves13

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    I don't store credit card info on my computer like some people I know. There's literally nothing Nvidia can learn about me besides the names of some files and folders.