1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nvidia acknowledges issues with GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    STRIX GTX 1080
    Shhhh your $1400 purchase is a mistake and we will make sure you keep on making those choices wink wink.:mad:

cryohellinc and waltc3 like this.
  3. waltc3

waltc3 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 590 8GB XFire
    Shades of nV30...:oops: Don't know how many of you recall that particular nVidia fiasco--coming as it did on the heels of nVidia's infamous 3DMark cheating fiasco and other things--but for the six months before before nVidia cancelled the NV30 altogether and went back to the drawing board to design something that might actually challenge ATi's R300 GPU release, nVidia did little except to blame its FABs for the failure of the nV30--even switched FABs at least once--or, at least they said they did. Then, at last, they admitted the design problems and pulled the plug.

I don't think these problems are similar, but it doesn't say much for nVidia's QA, does it?--especially when you consider the enormous expense a few people have paid for these products. I still believe RTX is 100% marketing fluff, but that is all I'm saying at present. Time will tell whether these are design flaws or temporary snafus.

Solfaur likes this.
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX
    Only FE? I watched Gamers Nexus test like twenty 2080ti and if i recall there was a nonrefernce evga/gigabyte models thats also crap itself.

Silva likes this.

5. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    I don't see anything wrong here. Nvidia is doing what any responsible company would do and offering replacements to people with faulty cards. Don't get the constant negativity.

Aura89 and schmidtbag like this.
  6. Celcius

Celcius Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon R9 380X
    I've seen a post elsewhere which spoke of one of these beauties briefly catching fire. While I think that is an outlier, even given the apparent confirmation by Nvidia that there are problems, it still serves as a wonderful example of why it's always prudent to build a system within a metal enclosure. Those clear, all-acrylic cases from a few years back always seemed a bit risky to me.

The RTX launch hopefully won't end-up like the Titanic launch, but, it's still early, and it's showing signs of heading in that direction.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  7. warezme

warezme Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga 970GTX Classified
    My 2 cents it has to do with the design. Thermalgraphs show the hottest part of the card is in the center where the DDR sit. THe two fans are at the ends of the card with only one pushing air from the end of the card to outside the case before getting added cooling by the second. This means cooler (relatively) hits the end of the card and may not be cool enough or with enough flow to cool the DDR chips over time. The aftermarket cards most have a three fan design with one fan directly in the center where the DDR sits actively cooling that hot spot.

8. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    STRIX GTX 1080
    Well Nvidia isn't exactly being transparent on the problem. They won't say what the percentage is on the failing cards. Thus the pervasive disgruntled, negative consumer. I know I would want to be an informed consumer when making a $1300 purchase on the quality of the item. Simply saying if it breaks we will fix it doesn't exactly give you a warm and fuzzy feeling. How about saying there is only a 2.25 percent chance your card will fail which is the average failure rate on all gpu's? Is that so much to ask for? I think not. And it would go a long way in helping to squash all the rumor mongering and I am sure sales.

carnivore likes this.
  9. Yawara

Yawara Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 G1
    I loved the "leafblower" so much I purchased a Radeon card for the first and only time in my life. I don't know if the RTX cards will perform better after multiple driver revisions and gains in game developer experience, but I will keep using my GTX1080 and wait for the next refresh to sort these problems out. I still respect nvidia for the innovation but I hate the "cash grab" pricing.

10. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1 Gaming
    The negativity is because IT should of never happened in the first place. Their QA teams must be awful to let such a big issue slip through their fingers like that.

Sure Nvidia will replace them but what about compensation to those that will be without their Ti and have the hassle of RMA.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
  12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
  13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I get the negativity, in the sense that Nvidia had plenty of time to do proper testing and QA. However, I do feel they're handling this situation properly.

What exactly would Nvidia gain by telling us more information? Not that I'm against better transparency, but nobody will gain anything of importance in this context. Since this doesn't seem to be a problem of newer-batch parts, knowing the actual statistic isn't useful for anyone who may be thinking of buying one of these. The fact they're not telling us the actual stats means it's probably a higher percentage than they'd like to admit. They're fixing the problem (as they should) and it appears to only be an issue to early adopters, so in the end it's not a long-term problem and it [probably] isn't a problem that anyone who doesn't own the product needs to worry about.

Fox2232 likes this.
  14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    They are definitely handling it properly from business perspective. That means downplaying any issue to keep sales as high as possible.

carnivore likes this.
  15. aivadarker

aivadarker New Member

GPU:
    rtx2080ti strix
    well my rtx 2080ti asus rog strix is curently on its way to rma because of artifact issues that closely matches the fe issues, so i doubt it is exclusive to early founders edition cards but can't say for sure

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix Gaming
    I read that someone with an evga 2080ti xc just caught on fire while browsing the internet....

17. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX560 4GB
    This is disappointing and uncalled for......... With the money this company has and no pressure on competition on high end cards Nvidia should of tested these better.

18. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X GAMING
    NVidia has no quality control. All and everything there is stamped by the famous "Hand of Huang and the overwhelming jacket's prestige". You can't expect any negativity ever, it is a random unexpected bunch of events due to universe's conscience.

carnivore, Dimitrios1983 and Fox2232 like this.
  19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I heard that someone with the FE edition got murdered and the body was never seen again!

Sorry I just had to :D

yasamoka likes this.
  20. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX560 4GB
    LOL. Quality control was used on more important issues like testing the perfect sized leather jackets and tight polo shirts that try and make Nvidias CEO more buff looking.

warlord likes this.