Nvidia AA guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by GanjaStar, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    It might work, it can't hurt to try it. As I understood it though DX10 AA flags are rare, dunno why, most likely it's because unlike DX9, MS/CSAA can be used with deferred rendering under DX10 and DX11 so those games should support AA in-game. I'm just guessing though.

Speaking of DX11 and AA support, why does Deux Ex: Human Revolution only have support for edge-based AA and FXAA under DX11 (the DX9-based Duke Nukem Forever also includes those AA options too)? Why doesn't it support full MSAA?

I'm hoping it's because the game is in beta and not finished because surely DX11 should support MSAA and CSAA without forcing them through the driver?

2. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    Yeah, I've noticed too that those flags are very rare, unfortunately... Now I've got to find the right one, if there's one that works obviously. :D
    Even if FXAA gives a good result it's still not 100% efficient, distant objects are plenty of jaggies.

If I remember rightly in an interview they said that the game supports MSAA... :3eyes: But it's missing...

3. tranceman33

tranceman33 Member

GPU:
    evga 580gtx sli
    I think u will find when game developers make a game they take into consideration various factors that such as gpu and cpu load eg stress on components when running a game now i know gpus for example can run at quite high temperatures i think around 70 degrees celcius is a safe bet these days with technology the way it is. i think they work at making a game to run at all levels thats why we have different graphic options to suit everyone since all computers run at a different speed dependiing on the components involved the more u spend the faster the computer will go and handle high end settings now i think they put a limit on the high end options to suit the current technology when u apply settings to games that are driver based and not ingame u will be putting more stress on the components involved thats why some games have full suppport for aa and some dont it goes without saying use at ur own risk so dont complain if u blow ur graphics card up trying to set external settings also take into consideration how well the game is coded how well it is optimized some games need more resources than others some do tricks to make better image quality some dont im not a programmer but i can see why game developers do what they do when they make a game theres gota be a limit u hit when u play the game otherwise we would have sgssa for example available in game in every game

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  4. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    I've got a gift for you: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

:D

Anyway your consideration is nonsense, imo.

5. Psycho101

Psycho101 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 460 SLI @ 850/4100
    nVidia not including AA options because of GPU stress worries is indeed completely false.

If a game contains an AA option, be it MSAA, FXAA or even an engine based edge blur, then unless there is a compatibility flag required for that in game MSAA to work, they will not provide an AA override.

6. bee*

bee* New Member

anyone have an AA compatibility setting for settlers 7? the in game blur AA is terrible :(

7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Possibly the wrong place to ask but does anyone know if there's a way to remove the green square that shows in the top-left corner when you enable the experimental FXAA in OpenGL games using NVIDIA Inspector? I'm presuming that it is used as an indicator that FXAA is active but it would be nice to remove it as FXAA works beautifully in Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath and Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena (with SSAO enabled).

8. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    nvm.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  9. bloodindark

bloodindark Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 TI
    fear 3 aa flag?....tried forcing it even enhance it and nothing..

10. dsi1

dsi1 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 580 1536MB
    It seems Crysis 2's AA bits don't work after the latest patch.

11. Psycho101

Psycho101 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 460 SLI @ 850/4100
    If you're running in DX11 then they won't.

The vast majority of AA compatibility flags are DX9 only.

With SGSSAA, DX11 and the high res texture pack, there probably won't be enough VRAM on most people's cards to achieve playable frame rates. It's a case of having to choose between them.

12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Just about done downloading the HR texture pack. I've already done the 1.9 and the DX11 patches. Be interesting to see if I can run it without needing to use SLI AA to get rid of the texture glitches/flickering.

13. Psycho101

Psycho101 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 460 SLI @ 850/4100
    I hope it works for you.

I was still suffering Nanovision flickering last time I played on my config (some time ago).

14. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Default settings NVCP using the latest BETA driver 275.50. All in game settings to Ultra with the high res textures 1920x1080 and vsync. Runs perfect if I disable my 470 PhysX card in device manager :3eyes:. No flickering at all. Restarted a new campaign. Played up through the subway level. Not once did it drop below 60 FPS. Max memory usage peaked at 1507MB. Rather unusual coincidence that at max in game settings, it would be just shy of filling the frame buffer on the Nvidia flagship reference card. :nerd:

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Regarding AA flags for DX10 and 11: since those games apparently have no problems with using MSAA/CSAA/SSAA/SGAA with deferred rendering engines like DX9 does, shouldn't it possible to force those through the driver? Why doesn't it work? Is it because NVIDIA haven't implemented it properly in their drivers yet or are compatibility flags still needed?

16. dennymoofoo

dennymoofoo Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 570 @ stock
    I can't beleive that after all this time anti-aliasing seems like such a taboo subject still. It was invented by 3dfx many moons ago yet its still treated like its the most complicated thing to get working properly. I thought one of the main selling points of dx10 and 11 was that every game would feature minimum 4x anti aliasing as a requirement by microsoft. Yet here we are in 2011 and having anti aliasing in a game these days is like winning the lottery it just doesn't happen very often. And where the hell is nvidia's new aa technique? Amd have had mlaa for almost a year now and still nothing from nv. :bang:

17. bloodindark

bloodindark Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 TI
    isnt the new aa from nvidia FXAA?or it supposed to be another?

18. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Is it better to use the in game AA for Assassins Creed Brotherhood? Or the flag for inspector?

19. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    More interesting, more choice i think

20. stitch

stitch Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970
    yes, fxaa. but right now it's still not really implemented properly into the drivers and only works in opengl games. so it's pretty much useless.
    i wish i could finally play gta4 with some AA... that ENB thing never works :puke2: