Nvidia AA guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by GanjaStar, Jan 16, 2011.

1. tranceman33

tranceman33 Member

GPU:
    evga 580gtx sli
    Found this worth a try not sure if it works but
    RIFT SGSSAA Although there is a hook, but at least something.

You have the game start with low-quality renderer and that in window mode = 2 (full screen and window), otherwise you have no floor in the game.
    AA-Bits " 0x00001033 ".

2. tranceman33

tranceman33 Member

GPU:
    evga 580gtx sli
    Tiger Woods 2008 works with all aa settings 0x00000000

3. Psycho101

Psycho101 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 460 SLI @ 850/4100
    Your post simply said "Here are the settings for DS2." If the poster was unsure of where to put the AA flag, then they could also assume that the profile you posted was exactly how it should be set up, when in fact, that profile is actually a little messed up. The other profiles you posted for Brink were als the same, stating Super Sampling functionality, and yet the first wasn't using SS (apart from Tr-SS) and the second showed a D3D only mode.

Contributing to this thread is great, however posting incomplete profile pictures or incorrect ones compared to the functionality stated is confusing. What if someone was searching this thread and didn't completely read previous posts? They would see the profile picture, set it up and it wouldn't work.

Dead Space 2 profile using MSAA bit that works with High+ shadows (set AA level as desired, 4x shown):
    [​IMG]

Dead Space 2 profile with SLI fix (if required, try without first):
    [​IMG]

Dead Space 2 profile for SGSSAA (set desired AA level by using matching MSAA and SGSSAA levels):
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

4. bloodindark

bloodindark Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 TI
    0x000012C1 only sgsaa witcher 2 aa flag...you need ultra high end pc for this:(

5. tranceman33

tranceman33 Member

GPU:
    evga 580gtx sli
    sorry should of been more specific tho i got confused in the ganjas post about the type of supersampling used in opengl programs im sure tho the guy who asked about it had enough brains to work it out for himself so get off ur high horse mate and quit bitchen about it its what forums are for to help not to belittle

6. Psycho101

Psycho101 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 460 SLI @ 850/4100
    I'm not belittling anyone. Sorry you took it like that. Hopefully that says more about you than it does me.

Nobody was assuming that people asking questions don't have the brains to figure it out. At one time or another I bet everyone who's posted here didn't have much knowledge of profiles, nHancer/Inspector and compatibility flags.

I've found this thread an excellent resource and am extremely grateful to GanjaStar and everyone else who has contributed. They've taken the time to test and verify AA flags before posting, provide detailed, correct profiles and where apropriate, comparison screenshots. That's what's made this thread so useful to me, clear concise and precise information.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  7. Guzz

Guzz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    New drivers 275.27 have support FXAA. So far FXAA works only in OpenGL games.
    Perhaps FXAA will work also for DirectX games in future drivers.

[​IMG]

Amnesia: The Dark Descent
    noAA:
    [​IMG]

FXAA:
    [​IMG]

Oddworld - Strangers Wrath
    noAA:
    [​IMG]

FXAA:
    [​IMG]

8. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Thanks for the info gents!

Here's the thing. I'm looking to enable 16x/32x aa for DS2. Also, what are you saying about mixing regular aa with traa or sgaa. I was under the impression that sgaa offers better quality than traa? Is this correct? And it sounds like not all settings are compatible? Example: if I enable 16 x AA with sgaa will it work correctly? Or is aa compatible with sgaa or traa? I'm not to knowledgable with sgaa? So what's the needed setting in inspector forwhat I'm trying to achieve in DS2?

I'm also playing amnesia, what's FXAA? And what flag am I supposed to use for amensia?

9. Psycho101

Psycho101 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 460 SLI @ 850/4100
    FXAA = Fast approXimate Anti Aliasing. It's a shader based technique, not the same as Sub Pixel Reconstruction AA, but apparantly designed to be more precise than MLAA in how it handles sample data.

From Timmothy Lottes' blog.

Not to be confused with FXAA II which is designed more for consoles and lowering the cost of the AA process (in ms). FXAA 1 apparantly provides the better quality result.

It's been used in Crysis 2 and should be active on the Extreme setting with nVidia based cards. Seems that now they've added it at the driver level, as well as devs being able to encorporate it into their engine directly.

Anything more than 4xAA for me does become a little choppy, and VRAM usage increases sharply. Are you using SLI 470's or just one? You might be able to get away with 16x or even 16xQ, but IMO, 8xQ with 2x/4x Tr-SSAA
    won't look any different and should definitely perform well. I run 4x and4x Tr-SSAA (when not using SGSSAA) and it looks perfect even on my 1680x1050 Dell IPS.

If you just want to enable plain MSAA, use the first profile I posted and set your desired MSAA level. It's at 4x in the pic, but set it to what you prefer. If you want Transparency SSAA with that, change "Transparancy Super Sampling" from Off/Multisampling to 2x/4x Supersampling (not Sparse Grid SS).
    Using more Tr-AA than MSAA is fruitless, as you can only use as much Tr-SSAA as there are Multisamples. In other words, ideally they should match, so 2xAA with 2xTrSS, 4xAA with 4xTrSS etc.

For Sparse Grid Super Sampling, use the third profile I posted. Even with SLI 470's you might not get a decent frame rate with 8x Sparse Grid SSAA. I can use 4x with no issues. Again, like with TrSSAA, use matching values for MSAA and SGSSAA. It's my understanding that when you set the MSAA level and then use SGSSAA, the SGSSAA component simply "hyjacks" the sample positions that would normally be used for MSAA, so using additional MSAA ove rthe amount of SGSSAA (e.g. 4xMSAA & 8xSGSSAA) wouldn't help.

10. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Thank you for sharing, I appreciate it! Ok, so when using AA with sgaa they need to match? Example: 8xaa & 8xsgaa? Because in battlefield/PR I use inspector with 32xaa & 8xsgaa. So this actually decreses picture quality?

As for fxaa with amnesia, how do I enable amnesia with inspector? Because I'm not seeing any flags for it? Would global flag work? Lastly, do you know how to enable sli with amnesia? Because I can only get 1 card to work with amnesia. Thank you for your help and support!

11. Psycho101

Psycho101 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 460 SLI @ 850/4100
    Quality might not decrease, but that level of MSAA won't improve IQ either. Both 16xQ and 32x AA still only use 8x true MSAA, they just use coverage samples as well, ie 16xQ = 8xMSAA and 8 coverage samples. Using more AA than the SGSSAA amount would be a waste, as coverage samples can't and won't be used with SGSSAA, and using less SGSSAA with a higher MSAA amount (up to 8xQ at least) could potentially degrade IQ, as the SGSSAA function in the driver won't know which multi sample positions to use, and could potentially choose the wrong ones.

As far as I know, there isn't a profile in the drivers for Amnesia (at least not in 275.27, never checked in any previous versions). I also haven't used the new FXAA option exposed by Inspector in the latest beta driver, so I couldn't say. You'd have to create a profile from scratch, add Amnesia's .exe and then turn on FXAA. You can also try the Penumbra flag for SLI (0x02400001) but even though it uses the same engine, people have reported visual anomolies in Amnesia when using it.

12. The Sleeper

The Sleeper Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 FE
    So anyone tried some AA flags for TW2 :0)

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hey mate I play PR also, if it's any help I use 8x/16x Combined (depends on map) and 2x sgaa or 2x SS - that's @1600x1200 res btw...

MS Transp. looks like utter crap in PR, if you want an example, enable MS and then look at the barbed wire surrounding main bases.

14. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Yeah man, I used to use combined but I found edges and horizon in game is sharper when using 32xaa compared to combined. I thisk 8qsxaa was what I used it was the combined 8 one.

15. dennymoofoo

dennymoofoo Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 570 @ stock
    so will FXAA work with gta 4?

16. bloodindark

bloodindark Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 TI
    fable 3 aa flag - 0x004000C1 this is the best quality you can get:D..also i recommand using 2x multi + 4x sgsaa cause if you use 4x multi it uses almost double the ram..and from 2x to 4x in this game you dont see the difference in quality like you would expect in other games

17. djcasey

djcasey Member

GPU:
    GTX 460 1gb SLI
    what about Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2010 ?? any aa settings ??

18. Crayfish

Crayfish Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Gtx 660ti OC
    Americas Army 3 with working hud.
    0x00000041

19. OutGears

OutGears Member

GPU:
    HD 6970
    An AA Flag for The Witcher 2 ? SGSAA if possible :)

20. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Hmmm... nice, thanks. Might try that tonight even though the temporal AA the game uses is already pretty effective IMO.