Nvidia AA guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by GanjaStar, Jan 16, 2011.

1. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    I was thinking of something along this way: if the default nvidia profile aa overide is better then the one suggested by the guide in any way, i remove the game from the list. That seems like the simplest approach to me :)

What do you think?

2. Guzz

Guzz Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Magicka - 0x000012C0 (AA will work only with SGSSAA!)
    [​IMG]

noAA:
    [​IMG]

4xMSAA+4xSGSSAA:
    [​IMG]

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Depends on whether everyone agrees it is better though.

For example, I've seen suggestions for alternative AA flags for Unreal Engine 3 games to the ones NVIDIA use, such as for Borderlands, but are they really better or do they just sacrifice some image quality for performance? In those cases I would rather know the original setting and the suggested 'improved' one so I can test and choose for myself.

On the other hand, the AA flag NVIDIA use for Alpha Protocol and, I think, Alien Breed 1 is bugged because it makes some text invisible.

To be honest, most of the games in the list will likely never be officially supported by NVIDIA anyway due to their age or the fact that they're deemed 'kids' game (and, therefore, not worth the effort supporting) so whatever you decide to do is fine by me.

4. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    @Guzz - It seems that you're the person to ask if people come across a game without native AA support! Please make sure you don't go anywhere! :D

5. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    Magicka with AA looks beautiful :nerd:

6. Fr0stx

Fr0stx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780SC@1100Mhz 1.087v
    @GUZZ any idea about madagascar2 and monster vs alien? this would cover all my titles!

7. Guzz

Guzz Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Madagascar 2 does not require any bits of antialiasing compatibility.
    [​IMG]

noAA:
    [​IMG]

2x2SSAA + 4xMSAA + 8SGSSAA:
    [​IMG]

About Monster vs Alien, I think that antialiasing compatibility bits must be 0x000012C1, but their use leads to crash video driver.
    Monster vs Alien have in-game antialiasing, so you can just use the option "Enhance the application setting".
    [​IMG]

In-Game 8xAA:
    [​IMG]

2x2SSAA + 4xMSAA + 8SGSSAA:
    [​IMG]

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Here's a challenge for you, Guzz... in fact, I'm surprised no-one has asked you yet... but can any of these new AA flags be used to force anti-aliasing in GTA IV?

I mean just about every other game seems to now work with AA, including previously awkward ones like the LEGO and Dead Space games, so what makes GTA IV's engine so unique that AA still cannot be forced in it? Even the Xbox 360 version used 2xMSAA.

9. thales100

thales100 Master Guru

GPU:
    3-way SLI GTX 480
    Thats would be epic. :)

10. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    heads up to those who missed it, nvidia inspector is updated. link in the OP still valid.

11. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Regrading GTAIV...it's not only the graphics that were lacking in that game....the gameplay is a massive step down from GTA:SA.

I don't know why anyone cares anymore. If you own just cause 2....you have the better open world game and all the AA you need.

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    @dchallf10 - Just Cause 2 is good fun but GTA IV and Episodes from Liberty City have much, much better story-telling, cinematics, dialogue and superbly fleshed out characters with terrific voice-acting which helps enrich the game world and make it a believable place. Both are very good games but for different reasons IMO; Just Cause 2 is just a glorified playground to mess around in whereas GTA IV/EfLC compromise that for realism and a more cinematic feel.

13. thales100

thales100 Master Guru

GPU:
    3-way SLI GTX 480
    GTA IV and Just Cause 2 cant be compared, two absolutely different kind of games imo.

14. RAB86

RAB86 Member

GPU:
    SLI Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC
    what about transformers war for cybertron, last time i played that aa was horrible, that was a year plus ago though. Does the ue3 compatibilty work with it at all?

15. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    yes. im sure some u3 engine flag works. try some and let us know :)

16. TimmyP

TimmyP Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Is there any way to get Transparency/Supersampling to work on games with heavy, "pixely", foliage like bc2 or crysis? Even if i have to play in dx9 mode id love to not see the jaggies.

GTX 260 btw.

17. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Not really, no. BC2 just has awful AA support. And to crank it up to levels where it makes a biug enough difference will kill your performance.

If you can get away with 8xCSaa, and maybe trans super sampling, try it.

18. TimmyP

TimmyP Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Yeah my system maxes out bc2 with ease, even with the in-game fsaa all the way up (I only game at 1280x768 or 1366x768, depending on which screen i wanna play on).

The NVCP traa options seem to have no effect on foliage in either crysis or bc2...

Reason I ask is a couple years back, my 8800gts 320mb was able to do Crysis with all the TRAA SSAA glory. Ran like crap, but it ran.

Now, if I could force it, it would prolly be playable at at least 2x. But Ive spent hours with nvidia inspector and nHancer. I cant get it to work.

Maybe I just need a newer card?

19. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Nah, your 260 is plenty for Crysis. Its far more powerful than your old 8800GTS with better AA support.

Is there a flag for Crysis? You could try forcing a mixed mode, like 8xS to see if it helps, without causing too much performance degradation.

I don't have Crysis here myself (lost it), so can't help.

I force 8xCSAA & 2xSGSS Trans in BC2. Does a decent job.

20. TimmyP

TimmyP Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Are you able to force it because you have 4xx series card? What exactly are you doing to force it? dx9? 3rd party software? (nvidia inspector, etc.) Drivers?

Thanks for your time.