Nvidia AA guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by GanjaStar, Jan 16, 2011.

1. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    Time to finally put this in one place, because even I lost track of all the different locations where these things get mentioned and then buried under endless other posts.

Available tools:

1. Nvidia Inspector
    2. Geforce sli profile tool (for advanced users)
    3. Nhancer (only for pre 256 drivers)

Unreal 2.5 and 3 engine games

Best performance for the majority of U3 and U2.5 engine games - 0x080100c5 (issues in some u3 engine games). Even when nvidia uses a different one in their official profile, you can often gain significant performance just by changing to this flag.

Id tech 4 games: Supersampling for quality beyond in game MSAA - 0x0000F0C1
    OpenGL games

Nhancer list for reference purposes

[​IMG]

For games not mentioned, ask away and I will add it to the list if there is an applicable flag.

Big thx to everyone contributing! :thumbup:

Since this is a community effort, feel free to post it on other forums, i cannot take exclusive credit for this :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  2. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Just saw this in the Nvidia forums, thanks for posting here. :)

Prey: 0x0000F0C1

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  3. Moshing

Moshing Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX580 BOE@900core
    Any special recommendations for Stalker CoP settings?

4. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    yeah, since im mostly active on rage3d, which is ironically an ATI centric site, i figured it would be a bit more productive to put it on the only other site i visit when it comes to GPU drivers, and on the official nvidia forums.

Since this is a comunity effort, feel free to post it on other forums, i cannot take exclusive credit for this :)

I will try to keep it up as up to date as time permits me :)

im mainly concerned with games that do not have in game AA options, or have only shader based aa like mafia 2. Is there any problem you are having with in game AA for stalker call of pripyat?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011

5. Moshing

Moshing Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX580 BOE@900core
    No problems beyond having to use the Clear Sky profile for Call of Pripyat, but I don't think it's problematic as performance seems okay with AA cranked.

6. Vimm

Vimm Guest

GPU:
    MSI 660 Ti
    Is there any special option for Chronicles Of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay? For example...is there any way to force AA while having the Shadows Effect on? (The game disables AA by default if you checked the "special shadows" option).

7. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I just use the default option in Nvidia Inspector which works fine even w/ Ambient Occlusion enabled in-game. Note I'm playing Dark Athena version of Butcher Bay and it takes quite a performance hit.

8. Vimm

Vimm Guest

GPU:
    MSI 660 Ti
    Thanks...yeah me too. Will try it out!

9. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    Prey has in game AA, its a doom 3 engine game, meaning OpenGL this flag is supersampling actually. quiet inneficient and performance draining. the only doom 3 engine game that flag is really needed for is Wolfenstein (directX port of doom3 engine).

Riddick is also OpenGL. i think nvidia AA compatibility flags are primarily for directX games, hence in inspector you have AA compatibility, and AA dx10 compatibility.

the 0x0000F0C1 is an exception because its supersampling, not MSAA.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  10. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well the game does support 4xAA in game. This flag makes the game look MUCH better. Performance draining? Well maybe when the game was released, most modern systems can easily handle higher quality AA especially on older games. You are on Guru3D, an enthusiast site where most people have quality systems that can handle it.

11. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    Well supersampling does look better then MSAA thats expected.

if you want higher then 4 MSAA without using supersampling, i suggest this:

I will add a note about the supersampling flag in doom 3 engine games.

12. sudanmalkovich

sudanmalkovich Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX480 SLI 840/1680/4000
    thank u for a great post!

13. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Excellent post.

14. soul0reaper

soul0reaper Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 570 Sonic Plat
    so these options improve aa performance? If so I want one for metro :)

15. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Other games that work are:

Viva Pinata - 0x0000F0C1
    Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood - 0x0000F0C1
    Alien Breed 2 & 3 - 0x00000041

16. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    thx for the contribution Darren. would like to check something though.

for alien brred games, being u3 engine, have you actually tested any other u3 engine flags? unless the 0x00000041 is the only u3 engine flag working corectly, then i think we can leave it up to the user to pick a preferable u3 engine flag themselves. the only u3 engine games worth mentioning separately, are the ones that work with one specific flag only, such as Alpha protocl or Medal of Honor 2010.

For Viva Pinata and call of Juarez, it would be great if you could test some of the newly discovered flags such as:

0x00421041
    0x004000C0
    0x004110C1
    0x00001241
    0x004100C0
    0x004032C1

Not that i have anything against the supersampling flag, but I think its always best to find the least performance draining AA method as well.

However, i will include your settings in the list, but if you find time to do more testing, that would be great :)

I also forgot to thank ShadowMyth for the id tech 4 engine reminder, so thx ShadowMyth :)

17. thales100

thales100 Master Guru

GPU:
    3-way SLI GTX 480
    Great post, thanks.

18. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The drivers already had an AA flag of 0x00000045 for the first Alien Breed game but when I tested that setting with the two 'sequels' I noticed that that some text was rendered invisible on the information screens (similar to the bug in Alpha Protocol which makes the dialogue choices invisible unless you change the default AA flag to 0x00000041). 0x00000041 seems to work fine though with both games so that's what I use.

I had no idea that 0x0000F0C1 was a supersampling flag but that probably explains why Viva Pinata and Call of Juarez: BiB would only run with 2xAA on my old GTX 280. Of course, with the GTX 580 there's no problem with 4xAA. I stuck with them for my new card simply because I knew they worked.

I'll certainly try the new modes now you've asked. I wouldn't otherwise have even thought to try them to be honest.

By the way, I tried the two Bionic Commando AA settings and with the Quality AA setting and 4xAA forced via the Override option the framerate was 20 fps (v-synced, triple buffered) but it didn't look as if AA was even working to me. Ditto for the Performance AA setting only the framerate was 60 fps (v-synced, triple buffered). Is it working for anyone else?

19. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    @ ganjastar

strange, for mafia 2 i have an different oficial aa override then u listed?

see here:

[​IMG]

theyr are also more profiles, maybe u need some , so i made a screen of all profiles i have ;)

greetz Beta

20. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    what do u reccomend for LOTRO? using 265.90 drivers