Nvidia 9500 GT - code 19 error -new machine/fresh install

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by raugust, Mar 27, 2011.

1. raugust

raugust Guest

GPU:
    evga 9500 GT
    So, I've tried everything - searching forms, Googling like a madman, but I can't seem to find any answer that works or addresses my issue.

Decided to build a new machine (Asus p55d pro MB, evga geforce 9500, 8 gigs ram) for hackintoshing. Loaded SL and it has been running like a dream. Only changes in BIOS required were:
    "Configure SATA as" to AHCI
    Set Marvell 9123 SATA Controller to AHCI
    In Power section, set Suspend Mode to S3 only

Decided to add another HD and load Windows 7 Ultimate. Disconnected all HDs except the soon-to-be Windows drive. Loaded Windows successfully and, upon restart, I get the "loading windows" message and then my monitor turns off, nothing detected from videocard. Restart several times same thing.

So, here's what I've tried to fix the problem:

1) Boot into safe mode. This works fine.

2) Use Drivesweeper and delete all graphics drivers. Restart and Windows works normally, but only with generic VGA graphics.

3) Install Nvidia drivers. Restart. Same problem. Boot into safe mode, delete again. Restart, and all is well with no acceleration (generic VGA). Have tried this with new and old versions of Nvidia drivers as well as the ones Windows tries to load.

4) Have uninstalled, disabled, reloaded the card multiple times in device manager.

5) Reinstalled Windows 7 itself several times. Same problems. Even used another Windows 7 install disc to see what might happen. Exact same results.

6) In device manager, when clicking on display adapter, it shows the yellow exclamation point. When I right click it, under properties, it says it says: "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged (code 19)."

7) Searched in registry to find and delete upper or lower filters, but they don't even show (nor does anything resembling graphics card)

8) I've physically removed the card multiple times. I've even put it in the other PCI slot with the same results.

I don't know what else to do.

The card itself works under OS X (and works well as evidenced by xbench, novabench , and cinebench tests). It works nicely under Ubuntu also. Which is something I tried just to test the card at one point.

This has sucked up hours of my life, and I've tried everything I can think of.

There's a lot of smart people here, so I was hoping you might have some new ideas?

Thanks for your time and expertise.

2. raugust

raugust Guest

GPU:
    evga 9500 GT
    Some Progress . . .

After posting, I went back and read a lot of old threads that touched on weird issues regardless of graphics card model. In one of the threads the original poster detailed his troubleshooting and noted how he remoted into the problem computer and found that the card had defaulted to a higher resolution than his monitor could display. After setting it properly, everything worked fine.

I decided to try the same thing. I went and reinstalled the Nvidia drivers that had seemed to be giving me headaches and restarted the computer. The screen went blank after booting like usual.

I then remoted into it (using Teamviewer (which I had installed and set up before installing the Nvidia driver)) and found that the drivers had installed fine and that in the device manager my card was no longer showing the code 19 error and appears to be functioning normally.

I accessed the Nvidia settings to see that my monitor (an older HannsG - 19 inch) was showing up and was only showing as being connected via VGA, when in fact it's hooked up via DVI (both from the monitor itself and, of course, to the card) So this seems to be the problem.

By the way I did reset the resolution from the default to a lower resolution and also changed the refresh rate. None of these changes made any difference after restarts, the monitor still having the usual issues.

It's good to know that the problem isn't related to the card or windows (I think), but seems to be a monitor or cable issue.

Is it possible that there's some weird hardware/dmca compliance setting with an older monitor or DVI cable that's causing the problem?

Perhaps I'll try a VGA cable and see how that works using a VGA-DVI adapter from the card and then into the monitor. Also, I'll try to see if I can borrow a newer monitor and cable, plug it in and see what happens.

It's good to have made progress and found out something. I was going nuts. Now I feel quite relieved.

Anyway, I'm mostly writing this for other folks in the future in case they have similar problems. Perhaps it will help them.

After trying some of the possible solutions above, I'll check back in to report what I found out.

3. raugust

raugust Guest

GPU:
    evga 9500 GT
    Using a VGA cable works, though there's a yellowish cast to things.

I am thinking that perhaps my monitor's EDID is jacked in some way so that Windows only "sees" it as something to send out a VGA signal. Any ideas?

I'm going to try hooking up another monitor tomorrow and we'll see how it affects the computer.

4. PurpleFish

PurpleFish Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 c216 @ 780core
    Try another monitor and ck your dvi cable and post back!

5. PurpleFish

PurpleFish Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 c216 @ 780core
    Actually might be a bad vid card...

6. raugust

raugust Guest

GPU:
    evga 9500 GT
    PurpleFish, I tried the new monitor, but had same issue. I also switched the DVI cable (just in case) restarted and had same problem - Windows starts great, monitor loses signal. Additionally, I tried connected with a VGA cable and two different DVI-VGA adapters, but while monitor displayed fine a native resolution, the screen had a terrible yellow cast to it from the moment of start up, POST, etc.

Sadly, replacing the monitor would have been an easy fix.

I'm going to try a few more things and perhaps re-install Windows once again (though I can't see how that can matter at this point (I've literally done it numerous times, with two different disks).

It stumps me that this only happens in Windows. The card works great (outputting DVI signal) in Mac OS X and Ubuntu. At this point, could it really be a hardware issue that only occurs with Windows?

Also, why would I get a yellow cast to the screen when connecting with VGA? That seems to point to a hardware issue with the card itself, I suppose.

Thanks for reading.