nVidia 7900 GS Issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Moncleared, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Moncleared

Moncleared New Member

GPU:
    nVidia 7900GS
    Hey Guru's,

Please bear with me because I am no graphical expert nor do I know the proper terms for the issues I am expericing. I will do my best to explain them in detail so you will understand.

Background:

Inspirion|E1705
    Came with Windows XP -- Had no problems at this point.
    Upgraded to Windows Business Vista (Business because it was free through my college)
    Issues started occuring on World of Warcraft.

My system is a 2.0 Centrino Technology dual procession, 1 gig of ram.
    nVidia 7900 GS card 512 mb.

I'm not 100% sure switching Windows Vista caused this issue, but I do know that before Vista I had no such graphical issues. I'd like to give Vista a proper shot and not just switch back over to XP, so thats why I am here.

Problems:

While I play World of Warcraft, LoTRO, I notice graphical glitchs such as horizontal lines flickering, randomly all over the screen at different times. In WoW I notice specifical huge glitchs where sometimes my entire screen fills up with polygons and other shapes that are just colored in a prismatic way and are completely out of normal. normally swinging my camera around wildly for a few seconds will remove this effect.

One of the most annoying problems is I randomly see spots on my screen. VERY small pixles that are different colors, most of the time RED. I think I may have a pixle out on my monitor but when I change screens or scrollup/down they disappear. Its some of the wierdest things.

Possible Solutions:

Some possible solutions I think may be heat related. I have no way of knowing what my temperature is at when I'm playing these games, but a lot of the times my laptop feels extremely hot. I used to let my laptop run all day and night, just at desktop, but I found that I get much better performance for a long time of gaming if I let my computer rest at night when I do. So I think temperature could be causing some of theses effects. But why would temperature be a problem now that I switched to Vista?

Another thing I've noticed. I have some crap driver from Vista that has no nVidia controls on it and its a year old driver dated and I cannot upgrade the driver. I tried downloading the 160 drivers for Vista 32 bit which is what I have, and installing it. When I double click Setup it checks for hardware that it can use an driver to and says none is found. But I clearly have a nVidia 7900 GS which the driver says it supports.

All over my game forums I've noticed 7900 GS popping up as problems, but I think a lot of them are at the wrong place instead of being here at guru3d.com with their problems they are at a forum with idiots that troll forums regarding the game.

Any help is appreciated, if you need Anymore information please let me know.

2. tomgreen321

tomgreen321 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD6870
    Grab some of these http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ and get Rivatuner or Ntune to check temps. Just keep them running while you game and when you notice the problem, alt tab and check it. Also try underclocking the 7900Go GS to see if it continues. It's also possible it faulty and needs to be sent in. The only way you're going to know though is to troubleshoot it.

3. Moncleared

Moncleared New Member

GPU:
    nVidia 7900GS
    thanks

thanks for the reply,

Before I download anything, can you get me the direct link to what you think I need to download from that site? It looks like its the same drivers as guru3d.com has on their download page, maybe they are different in some aspect though. But as I said in my original post, I did try to download the guru3d.com drivers that were correct for my system and it gave me the error that there was no driver detected for my hardware. So any more help is appreciated, thanks so far.

Moncleared

4. CanadianTSi

CanadianTSi Member

GPU:
    7900gs (675/886)
    What you are describing is Artifacting. Most Likely caused by a Heat Issue, Or the card may be going bad.