Nvidia 76% - AMD 24% - GPU marketshare Q4 2014

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Feb 23, 2015.

1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Let's keep it nice folks.

While I do agree marketing has a big role in this, to be fair Nvidia has had better outcomes compared to AMD. G80 was on top for so long, where as when ATI/AMD released R600 it under performed horribly.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  2. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    For me AMD's drivers ruins them and the whole point of AMD acquiring ATI should have been making SoCs and revolutionizing the motherboard... They've not even made good CPUs in the past 10 years.

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    AMD should have gone APU asap instead of dragging their ass.
    They made killing with 1st gen APU, yet lost TONS of money failing to predict such huge demand. Then Intel came along...

4. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Maha Guru

GPU:
    Don't need one
    i used to use mostly AMD gfx cards for the past 10 years, moved to Nvidia this year.

i dont care which company i use as long as it plays the games.

dont really notice that much difference between the companys myself.

what ever your choice they do the job.

5. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Speaking from personal experience, AMD have been nothing but a headache for me. They laptop drivers were utter crap, and their APU that I used for my last HTPC build has turned out to be an overheating, driver non-updating, complete nightmare; I've had to underclock by nearly 50% just to get it to run under the default heatsink, and that's even after changing the thermal paste.

And despite what people on these boards think about the 970/970 vs. 290/x, the majority of the market doesn't give a ****. People buy 960's and equivalents or below which run all games just fine, most people don't care about checking off every box in a game menu and tweaking the INF just to get a few more extra effect and FPS.

For myself, I took my GTX 560 out of my computer to save power and am using the onboard HD3000 just fine as I have no more time to play games. My laptop has the onboard HD4200 which does everything I need it to, even the odd game. Guess what, this is the majority of the market.

This is what even Steam, a game selling platform, shows:
    • Intel HD Graphics 4000 5.07%
      [*] Intel HD Graphics 3000 3.08%
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2.68%
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2.24%
    • Intel HD Graphics 2000 2.19%
      [*] Intel HD Graphics 4400 1.86%
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 1.84%
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 1.82%
    • NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 1.75%
    • Intel HD Graphics 2500 1.59%
    • NVIDIA GeForce GT 620M 1.54%
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1.39%
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 1.38%

You have to go 13 places down just to find a lower high-end card (or 8 places for a previous generation lower high-end card).

So while one AMD or Nvidia could be benchmark topping with their flagships, the market doesn't give two ****s. What they want it is a cheap, cool, quiet card that plays all games and gives them a one click option for the best experience so they don't have to bother with menu options; and Nvidia gives them that. Is it any wonder that they are leading with market share?

6. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    This is part of the marketing machine. If you do not inform the world, repeatedly, of your competition's wrongdoings, how will they know and remember it? Tech news outlets only inform a small number of people, but the huge masses of people need to be informed as well.

Mudslinging is an accepted and time tested marketing tactic. The key is to only do it when the competition deserves it. In this case, they do.

EDIT: I personally buy based on bang for the buck at the time I am buying. It is nice when it is AMD, simply because my motherboard is AMD so it makes driver installs easy. But, as can be seen from my specs, it is not always the case.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  7. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    How so? Not busting on you, seriously curious how their drivers ruin them.

8. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    Your list does not support your concluding statement. According to your list, NVidia does not give them that, Intel does.

I am also curious about what APU you used in your HTPC. I use one and have been nothing but pleased by it. Low power consumption, more than enough GPU power for all my BluRay needs (I do not use MadVR), stays cool.

9. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080TI Gaming editi
    i actually have more xp years with AMD than nvidia, had AMD cards for 6 years in row till 2k12.

Based on my XP, nVidia is vastly superior, not just fps but smoothness and features, and since i use 3D it pretty much one sided...

I will buy AMD card if they prove to be vastly superior, but that hasn't been the case for long time and probably won't be in near future.

10. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    While I would say "vastly superior" is an overstatement, NVidia has certainly been the better card choice for a number of years (which is why I own one).

11. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    AMD A8-5600K

Build log here (before I noticed the temperature craziness. I also added in a fan right above the CPU cooler, no joy.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=371714

And you are right, the Intel iGPU's are the best for the criteria, I was referring to add-in boards (should have clarified, my bad).

12. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    Odd, I have the A10-6800 in my HTPC and have had no issues with it. I would suspect a thermal paste issue - or you just got a bad chip.

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    For me it's the lack of gaming related features. With Nvidia you can enhance in game MSAA (i.e. select 2x in game and driver enhances it to 8x for example). That's something you can't do with AMD. Also with Nvidia you can be more flexible with transparency AA settings.

What really annoyed me was the piss poor power saving (and I'm pretty sure that they could fix it with software). When I ran my display at 75Hz, memory didn't go in 2D mode and it did cause GPU to heat and caused GPU fan to speed up. When watching video you could hear the fan speeding up. Another thing was buggy ULPS mode. In my case the card didn't always wake up -> black screen. Also when the ULPS mode kicked Speedfan would report 0c for GPU temp after that (though, I'm not 100% sure if that was AMD's fault).

But the heat was the final nail in the coffin. The 290 did actually did rise my room temperature noticeably.

It's the little things that sum up. In my case 290 just didn't work well.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  14. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    So the drivers are not actually ruining them, you simply like some features of NVidia's drivers better. Thanks for the clarification, since I have yet to run into any AMD drivers that have ruined anything. :)

15. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Hmmm...? Did you actually read it? For me their buggy power saving was the worst thing that hurt the usability and I'm pretty sure they could have fixed it with software. Also if their drivers lack features then their drivers can most certainly ruin the card for some.

16. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    I did read it and found you are using hyperbole. No big deal, most people do as you have done.

17. Bezzie

Bezzie Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7870 Ghz Edition
    Honestly i could care less about Nvidia and there features, every game that use their tech comes out broken and the Memory interface restrictions due to 256-bit on the 970/980 is stupid, by forcing the buyer to buy SLi the 900 series should be pushing out more texture bandwidth... 224GB/s on 4GB? what a waste of GDDR5, it should be pushing 320GB/s at least.

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    No user is being forced to buy SLI, why would anyone be forced into it?

Bandwidth speed is pretty much irrelevant on Maxwell cards unless your comparing it other Maxwell cards, the 3 year old 7950 beats the 980 if you do that.
    You don't just blindly go with the highest number and expect that to tell you the truth.

19. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Maxwell uses memory compression techniques, going by your logic my 780ti`s should be faster than 980 sli, due to the 384 bit interface on gk110. Sli works just fine for me been using it since the voodoo days, starting out with 7800gt sli with nvidia. If sli did not work I would not be using it for 10+ years

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    double post.