Nvidia 71.81!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by RBEJ, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Meatgrinder

Meatgrinder Guest

Avoid it

I recommend avoiding the 71.81 drivers. Not only did they hose my windows installation (no matter which drivers I rolled back to and no matter how hard I cleaned, the drivers would not install) but they also caused my card to run hotter. When I OC'd to 401 in 2D (even though my 3D was at 400) it became very unstable (but did cool it down 10C). Unfortunately the Nvidia Sentinel warning came up every time I booted. It dropped the clock to 200. This is very gay and dangerous to your card.

I had to completely re-install windows because of that messed up driver. Now I'm running 66.93 again. The only thing I hate about 66.93 drivers is I can't use the nview settings like mouse throwing. It causes the driver to lock up and I have to end it in the task manager, and it never saves the settings on reboot anyway. Also, when I resume my computer from standby and try to play BFV I get mad texture corruption.

Oh well, I thought I would give Nvidia a shot again. I abandoned them years ago because they can't write drivers to save their lives. It amazes me all the problem people have with their drivers. I went ATI years ago and haven't had a problem using them, plus the desktop looks better.

2. foofi

foofi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900 GT 550/1630 VIVO
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2005
  3. Roomraider

Roomraider Member

GPU:
    2xBFG-6800GT-OC-PCIE 256Mb Sony 23"LCD 1920x1200
    Re: Avoid it

Try 67.66 driver. It's the best of both worlds and the most stable nvidia driver to date.

4. DooGie

DooGie Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Yeah 67.66 is nice but I wish the multiple monitors would go away.

5. tweakmaster420

tweakmaster420 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6970 Crossfire
    Hey, the temps are a driver bug.. i have an areogate 2 with temp probes on everything.. i have one of them on the back of the PCB behind the core. I never seen it read this low actualy, 39 idle ,never goes more then 51c load. This is also an Utra extreme..;)

6. Metalschmitz

Metalschmitz Banned

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 8800 GTS 640MB XXX
    Re: Avoid it

Well I found that strange? I agree with you that this 71.81 is crap. But ATi makes better drivers???
    Well I encountered a lott of graphical errors with ATi Drivers all the way, on the one Driver Splinter Cell got lid up Shadows , the next makes screen corruption / bad Image quality in Spell Force and so on.
    You are right ATi Desktop is a little better, as well as the video performance, but don`t we want to play 3D-games??

Well I cann just make a guess but is it possible that you run an Overclocked PC? Maybe you should clock down a bit, cause this also causes many hidden errors in a system.

I am also wondering because you seem to be the only one encountering such harsh problems. Normally everything was reduced to the screen flackering in the Drivers menu....

7. MisterGeese

MisterGeese Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GS-GTX 980TI
    WORSE is bug with... Serious Sam 1 (!) on ATI catalyst :D every driver encounters problems... we have to face it.

8. XeonX2

XeonX2 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti
    um thrs no problems for me.

i oced my 2d from 300 to 325 clock and my 3d from 400 to 465 . and mem clock from 550 to 615.

temp nvr goes beyond 43degrees . Even when i run 3dmark05 or play games non stop:p

9. Metalschmitz

Metalschmitz Banned

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 8800 GTS 640MB XXX
    Well the temp issues happen most on GF6800 Series,

It would also be very strange if your 5700 would be so warm....

10. tweakmaster420

GPU:
    yea , im going to have to second the fact that nvidia drivers are less buggy then ati,, if anything ATI just feels more mantained with there monthly WHQL driver releases.. and i use both camps..cards i have used in my main pc,
    TNT 2>radeon 64 ddr vivo> geforce 3 ti500> radeon 8500> gforce4ti4600>9800 pro>9800 xt>6800 ultra E.
    as you can see i missed the fx line completly;)
    i can remember for as long as i had my 9800's, tough trucks (not a great game, but a game none the less)always ran... with the screen one solid color.,.lol you see i have over 250 games old and new and i must say nvidia runs them all. BTw, what was the serious sam bug? would'nt happen to be a hard lock 5 min into the game? because i remember not being able to play it with ati.
    still both great cards though..:cool:

11. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    Dang... I had to roll back to modded 71.20 because of the major heat increase. Right now Im idleing at 55'c with the 71.20 and I had 65'c [idle people :eek:] with the 71.81 . Why did the temp raise?

12. dominant1

dominant1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    ok guys still testing these drivers i can play far cry at 1600x1200x32 bit at 2aa and 4af with smooth operation no hitching.....still like these drivers!

13. Meatgrinder

Meatgrinder Guest

Re: Re: Avoid it

It's better than the latest (66.93) on the Nvidia site? Kewl! I'll try it. THanks.

14. Meatgrinder

Meatgrinder Guest

Re: Re: Avoid it

I am by no means the only one having issues. Just look at this thread. Hey, I used to be a huge Nvidia fan. Never bought anything else. But then they started writing crappy drivers. Then ATI beat them into the ground over and over again. I finally had to face reality that ATI just plain stomps a mudhole in the a** of Nvidia and I switched. Not once, have I ever had a problem with ATI. On 3 of my gamers and about twenty different games.

Leave it to Nvidia to write a driver that completely hosed my OS. On the most stable machine I ever owned. And yes I OC my machine but my ATI card never had a problem with it. I seriously doubt the Nvidia does either. The 6800Ultra seems to be a good card. Too bad the driver are lacking, that's all I'm saying.

15. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    Sounds to me Meat that you were the problem not the driver. Just because 1 or 2 people have problems from user error...does not mean nvidia drivers are bad....please grow up.

16. viperlsm

viperlsm Guest

Tested a few games with the 71.81:
    Far Cry ( Patch 1.3 )
    KOTOR 1
    KOTOR 2
    NFSU 2
    BFME
    All running great at max details, AA and AF.
    Definitely a keeper for me!
    (Compared with 66.93, 67.66, vxg71.20b, and 71.25)

17. Steve187

Steve187 Guest

How is HL2 run on these? and do you guys get the memory error in HL2 when playing for awhile? I did with the official nvida drivers 66.93.

18. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    SO any info on the temp increase? I kept the same room temp during the tests... roughly a ± 2° F difference... Is the fan slowing down?

19. tweakmaster420

GPU:
    The driver is reporting the wrong frequency, and other programs (most) are going to report the same since they access the temps through the driver. i have a physical temp probe and a hardware temp/FSC. the temp hasnt changed for me on any driver revision give or take 1 degree.:rolleyes:

BTW: anyone notice beter desktop/2d performance with these? windows seem to scroll smoother...more response

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  20. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Re: Re: Re: Avoid it

blah

No need to be a fan (boy, thats what im smelling here) of either company. Both have their areas they excel in, just use whatever suits ur needs.

If a driver "hosed" ur OS then id say its more likely a problem with ur OS install then the driver. I have had my install of windows well over 6 months now and switched from ATI (X800XT PE) to Nvidia (6800GT) in that time and installed plenty of beta/leaked drivers from both companies as well as the official releases and had no probs except with the removal of ATI drivers which wasnt insurmountable with a little lateral thinking.

I have a 9800 Pro in the second machine and I did have issues with the Catalyst 5.1 driver regarding general stability but nothing to really write home about.

These 71.81s are the best driver I have used as far as games go to date. Obviously it isnt going to work for everyone the same, but i wouldnt be surprised if the official relases was based on these or similar drivers.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005