Nvidia 6800 GT Temperature?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Xoleum, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Xoleum

Xoleum New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 6800 GT 256MB GDDR3
    I just got an nvidia 6800 gt used from a guy and he added an artic cooling silencer to it, better than the stock one, as Iread on the sticky. I was checking my nvidia display settings and found Temperature settings? Is that whatmy card tempearature is at? IT shows :

GPU core temperature: 62 C
    ambient temperature: 42 C

If that's high or it's the current card temperature, is it good? normal? can I overclock it?

2. rought

rought Master Guru

GPU:
    twin XFX 6800GT sli
    you need to check the temp while gaming... use monitoring software of. keep temp.. reading open .. start the game and play for a while.. while in the game hit alt/tab to minimize the screen..check temps then ... be fast they drop fast ,,, very fast...
    any thing over 70c is high ...and needs to be addressed..

3. GSB

GSB Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 650
    I've got a BFG 6800 GT and it idles around 58c. What drivers are you using because some of the 6 series drivers had known issues with temps, ie the dreaded "temp" bug. :( I use the 77.77s off nvidia's site.

4. Species

Species Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GTS (512) 750/1875/1000
    Im experiencing the same problems, only with my 6800 Ultra, its got an NV5 Silencer on it, like a month ago this thing idled out of game at 31C, in game it ran at 38-39C. Now ive started checking it lately, this thing is idling at 55C! and during game play it gets around 68C, sometimes over 70C! I have never overclocked this thing, and has never given me any problems until now, im noticing artifacts in games now because of the temperature, this thing is about a year old exactly, i even tried re-applying artic silver thermal paste to it, and putting new non-conductive(white) paste on the memory. I dont know what to do really, any advice? is it time for a new card or? what type of warranty from the factory was there? thanks for any info

5. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD3870 / Radeon HD
    If you tried reseating it with new arctic silver, I'd have to say its the card and you should RMA it.

6. randomend

randomend Member Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor x1950 pro 256mb
    Or there might be a large buildup of dust. I was had similar temps at idle, but one day i was bored and ended up cleaning my card. Heaps of dust and temps dropped from 56-58c to 49-51c

7. Blaise

Blaise Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA
    To check temperatures, use Rivatuner (link to Guru 3D's download ) as it will produce a real-time graph of temp x time. You can view the results after closing the game and determine the maximum temperature you card(s) hit. Viewing the temperature using nVidia's display applet's temperature tab isn't the best way to check as the card(s) drop in temperature quite quickly.

8. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Guys, check the other posts on this topic. 70+C under heavy load is no biggy for a 6800GT, in fact, it's normal.

9. rought

rought Master Guru

GPU:
    twin XFX 6800GT sli
    when i bench mark and keep the temp guage open...using performance test..were the globles of the earth shoot back and forth...if i let the temp get high enough and watch the globles as soon as my card hits around 71c,,the globles slow down by about 50% ....the card begins to underclock it self, so it doesnt get any hotter and fry,,,it may be safe at that temp but,, not good for gaming.. at least games that require a lot ....its done this on all my nvidia cards back to my old 5900...
    plus I have read numerous times that its set to do that for ovious reasons.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
  10. ETzpliskin

ETzpliskin New Member

GPU:
    GF 6800GT 256MB
    My 6800GT slows down at 120° (yeah it has temp problems) and at 125° it still shows no glitches or artifacts.

So what's all this about sslowing down at 70°? My card is idle 72°...

11. rought

rought Master Guru

GPU:
    twin XFX 6800GT sli
    its the card protecting itself from overheating , ,without that feature you would and many other most likely ruin the card from overheating..
    would be stupid for them not to put in that protection...can you amagine the RMA's they would have to deal with..you need to fix the problem.. by checking the installaion of the hear sink and getting the card proper air flow

and 70c is 148.f not 120 f ........................120 is good
    if nvidia wants to tell us that over 200 f. is ok .. well there full of it.. becuase its not ..

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  12. Narcendear

Narcendear Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility HD3650 512MB
    eVGA has a lifetime warranty, so you're set.

13. rought

rought Master Guru

GPU:
    twin XFX 6800GT sli
    they wont RMA it for runnning to hot.. you better think of a better excuse..
    and if its an air flow problem then a new card wont fix it.. most likely its not the card.. it your set up..

14. Narcendear

Narcendear Master Guru

GPU:
    That's true. If you're seriously worried about heat, maybe cut a blowhole near your card slots for a fan, or try some VGA coolers.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
  15. treed

treed Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 560 TI 2GB
    I have a PNY 6800 GT and the core temp runs at 54 C idling and if I do anything intense it'll break 60 C. Though my ambient temp stays at like 35 C because I have a ghetto air flow rig on my case. One of those silver dryer tubes is coming from my basement through the vent on the floor then attached to my case... duck taped to the side. ;) lol I forgot I have a pic, here.

comp pic

16. TeaEtchSee

TeaEtchSee Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950gt (Winfast a400gt RIP)
    52c idle 60c gamming, 65c max using RTHBRL test (45 min).

17. TeaEtchSee

TeaEtchSee Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950gt (Winfast a400gt RIP)
    yess...void dat warranty :)

18. Narcendear

Narcendear Master Guru

GPU:
    I guess I should have thought a bit more about that, lmao.

19. Achari

Achari Member

GPU:
    XFX 7800GT x2 SLi<Reserator 1
    6800GT cards normally get up to temps of 70-80 degrees C. Mine regularly reaches 75 and sometimes hits 80, and that's on water cooling.

I would start looking for a problem if the card starts hitting 90 degrees, and even then the card will probably run OK. They're specced to reach 120 degrees, so there is quite a bit of lee-way.

The card will probably last 10 years plus, running at 80 degrees, and by then you'll have a newer card I assume.

20. saeed_violinist

saeed_violinist Member Guru

GPU:
    PALIT GTX 470@790 0.987v
    my card's temp : idle at 55-56 and 80-83 after hours of playing... but I asked nvidia and asus ..they said anything below 80 is ok and below 90 is not bad ! and over 100 is bad !

are you sure your NV5 is installed correctly ?