Nvidia 470 PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Ethereal, Oct 5, 2010.

1. WacKEDmaN

WacKEDmaN Guest

the point is quite simple...you dont have to shell out for a 1000w PSU..the GPU PSU only runs the video cards, the rest of the system runs off the main/original PSU...the GTX470 uses 215w..so in SLI thats 430w...which is perfect with this GPU PSU..i knew my 500w psu wouldnt be enough...but i only purchaced it a few months ago..so i purchaced the GPU PSU when i purchaced my card knowing it will give me enough power to run SLI if i decide to go that way in the future.

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    That's just fine. I just can't believe you thought you could get away with running a 470 on 18 amps lol, I'm surprised the whole thing didn't just blow out.

You won't know if there is permanent damage until you put the new one in.

3. Ethereal

Ethereal Member

GPU:
    Gtx 470 1280 MB
    Lol welll sue me, I'm just a noob D:. Jks but yeah, I saw it said 550w minimum so I just went for it, silly me :p... Thanks for the help everyone!

Any other suggestion please write it :].

4. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Run memtest firs t to be sure.

5. Imglidinhere

Imglidinhere Master Guru

GPU:
    8GB GTX 1080
    Wow... o_O That's the problem then... the card specifies that it needs 42A on the 12v rail and you can supply only 18A... o_o A better power supply is in order. I vote for an HX650. :D

6. Ethereal

Ethereal Member

GPU:
    Gtx 470 1280 MB
    Okay uhh... Don't laugh._. but... Could you explain me what the heck is that? Or could yah give me a tutorial? Lul thx ._. .

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    42amps?? Which one uses 42amps?? I previously posted the power requirements from eVGA, who says 38amps.

8. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    It's a memory testing utility. I'd suggest you first get the new power supply. Install it and then run the system normally for about a day to see if they're any abnormal indications. If that goes well, then use Prime 95 or another stress test utility to see if you get errors. The stress testing programs can be found in the download section of this site. The next thing is to run a video stress utility. Make certain the fans are running on the CPU, as well as the videocard. I know it seems like I'm stating the obvious and over simplifying these steps...but I've seen guys get cables caught in weird places and drive themselves nuts. Good luck.

9. Luumpy

Luumpy Master Guru

GPU:
    470gtx s/c
  10. Ethereal

Ethereal Member

GPU:
    Gtx 470 1280 MB
    Well thanks you kind sir :]. I shall do just that and see how it goes... Imma post here when I do this ;].

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    If you consider the power draw of GTX480 SLI....it's really not worth it. You'd still have to have a PSU capable of running at least 1 card.....or buy 2 of them.

12. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    @OP
    every one makes mistakes as a noob pc builder but learn from this mistake and keep in mind that the psu is the most important hardware that feeds power to the other units like the heart spreads blood through you body to keep you alive.