Nvidia 450.12 WHQL for Win10 x64

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by michaelj, Jan 15, 2020.

1. janos666

janos666 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2060 6Gb
    Rise of the Tomb Raider completely froze on me within a few minutes (several times in a row) with this driver and HW scheduling enabled (I am not sure if this had anything to do with it). I used DDU, installed 442.59 and it works fine. So, I would still call this unstable. Too bad we probably won't receive any new WDDM 2.7 drivers before 20H1 GA (which can take 1-2 months because that has plenty of issues still).

2. artina90

artina90 Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    With this driver DX11 performance seems to be great, probably the best ever on Windows 10 especially when it comes to frame-time stability.
    On the other hand DX12 is a mess, this driver introduces severe stuttering issues in Control, with the game freezing for nearly a second every time the frame drop happens.
    I went back to the standard stable driver for now, I hope Microsoft pushes the update soon so we can get stable WDDM 2.7 drivers.

3. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    Unstable?

This may be relevant or not, but I'm on latest insider with this driver and latest Vulkan runtime. I have run the RottR benchmark with a miriad of settings including Hardware scheduling enabled and have experienced zero issues. The bench completed each and every time.

Are you running the driver within an insider build? Something is amis but I doubt it is the driver. I could be wrong of course...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  4. janos666

janos666 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2060 6Gb
    I didn't run the benchmark, I tried to play the actual game and it caused a BSoD within a few minutes (I didn't actually see a blue screen, just the fronzen game but I guess it was one because the PC eventually rebooted on it's own), several times in a row. Other games I tried worked fine (covering Vulkan and OpenGL, Direct 9.0 and 11.1 + 3DMark TimeSpy DX12 in stability test mode). I didn't have other DX12 games to test but I wished to play some RotTR anyways and that didn't work, so I had to try a different driver... I didn't think about switching RotTR to DX11 for testing.

5. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 2000Mhz
    While I have no issues with this or any other driver, it was slower than 441.87 for me.
    So no, not the greastest imo.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Manuel never said anything about 450, infact his last mention of fixes being specific to a driver family implied 445 is the next out.

HARDRESET likes this.
  7. EugeneJackKhoros

EugeneJackKhoros Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    So, perhaps there will be another insider driver

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    not likely.

9. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    :confused: Peeps, we all know what the purpose of hardware scheduling is in relation to this driver but do we have any actual hard numbers that show whether this tomfoolery is actually benefiting us with relation to minimum/average frames attained within a gaming environment. Googling reveals lots of explanations but no hard numbers as to whether this feature is effective or not.

Can anybody shed any light on this? @Astyanax, you got any insight into this bro? I suppose that the biggest improvement, if any would be observed with low end gaming rigs!

10. EugeneJackKhoros

EugeneJackKhoros Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    The numbers are:
    https://msreview.net/windows-10/259...j-planirovschik-graficheskogo-processora.html
    BUT there is one thing that I initially perceived as if hardware scheduling only makes things worse. Most likely this will be fixed on the release. But with the driver 450.12 (and older WDDM 2.7) in DirectX 12 games this function negatively affects the FPS. I even wrote about this in one of the old topics. But then it turned out that this problem is observed only with DirectX 12 games, and with DirectX 11 and Vulkan games the difference is exclusively for the better

11. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    Aaah!, Thanks @EugeneJackKhoros...

Your answer may go some distance in explaining why Shadow of the Tomb Raider bench results are within 1 frame of each other regardless of Hardware scheduling setting (on or off)... I have only done prelim tests using DX12 games. Categorically no synthetics... So the general advice regarding Scheduling is to leave it on if you have support for it?

The link you provided actually shows a substantial & impressive improvement when scheduling is active.

12. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 RTX / 1080Ti
    If your an Insider , on fast builds ,latest builds and drivers are part of the drill.

13. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    o_O
    Source of this info bro, else it's nonsense in these here parts...

HARDRESET likes this.
  14. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    Sorry dude but I can't understand that.

'Manuel' is a noun in the English language that never the less leaves me & others still none the wiser to your previous statement regarding the release date for 450.12 WDDM 2.7.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    HARDRESET likes this.
  15. elite69

elite69 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
    Last vulkan 1.2 isnt working on this set. Or its just me? Neither wolfnein 2 neither doom 2016. Its only me or general?

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    he just rewrote what you said in russian.

He has no source. at all.

17. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    Thought so

Just tried both of those games myself and it would appear that you are correct. Doom and Wolfy both refuse to use 1.2 Vulkan, instead referencing the native 1.1 that is installed with the driver.

This now leads us back to a previous question that i asked in an earlier post on this thread whereas red team drivers were manually updated with the vulkan runtime but steadfastly refused to acknowledge the update and again references only the vulkan api native to the driver package.

Contrary to this behaviour is the display of the current vulkan api installed which shows as 1.2 situated in wow64 system folder.

This proves that regardless of Vulkan API installed by a user or software, the gpu driver will only reference that which is native to the package, not what is installed within the system.

It goes some way to reveal just how much misinformation is being voiced in good faith but that ultimately results in a chaotic understanding of the hardware that we care so much about...

We need a definitive source for this information How else are we gonna make progress as enthusiasts trying to understand how our hardware functions?

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    these have never supported vulkan 1.2

19. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    OK. Thanks @Astyanax. Given my recent testing results your answer makes sense.

I'm posting my initial question and subsequent responses so that members may fully understand my latest comments regarding the vulkan api.

After reading through my original question and the answers I received, you can understand my wanting of a definitive source for this stuff...

20. Flakman

Flakman Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080ti
    I would expect a 445.xx driver long before we see an exclusive Windows version # 2004 driver release. Win version #2004 wont be out until next month I believe.

JMHO