Nvidia 4 GB and 2GB Cards :

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by goat1, Jun 9, 2014.

1. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I def wouldn't use the highest AA for no reason at all if it doesn't benefit my eyes over AA2x/4x settings at my res. Even if the game runs fast enough to use higher AA settings I still wont, If 4x and 8x to me look the exact same to me then I will use AA4x. I used to use CSAA a lot but I didn't like how it did it. Certain games I owned have TXAA support mainly The Secret World which is the only time I ever used it.

Maybe people have different meaning of what they say as maxed out in regard to what the settings of AA they need to use to get the smooth edges they want and not use any higher settings if it doesn't benefit any thing other then E-peen which is pointless.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  2. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Because I want the option for Physx. Plus I just think Nvidia is better. Also,if you have a 1440p monitor,do you even need to use AA?

3. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Of course more vRAM does not improve fps. I never claimed such a thing. I said that it can reduce hiccups and texture pop-in. In the event where you do actually run out of vRAM these hiccups or freezes can last several seconds and the game becomes unplayable. I do not know of games where this happens with 2GB cards (for sure this is easy to demonstrate with a 1GB card, but who the hell owns a 1GB card anymore these days)

However where everyone is experiencing stuttering in Watch Dogs I have had zero issues with it. 10 seconds into the game and my vRAM is filled up to 3500MB with SMAA and it's close to 4GB all the time when using 4xTXAA. In the last case the chance on stuttering is higher as well. I'm wondering how GTA V will perform.

4. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The stuttering in Watchdogs is not related to how much memory your card has, people with SLI Titans are having problems.

5. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    I had a 1 gb card til last night. Most people will be happy enough turning the settings down just a bit. I have no reason to need the AA jacked all the way up. Its a purist thing. These are just like the guys in the home theater forums that refuse to run their subs hot or use a butt kicker because that is cheating.. lol

6. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Nobody has at any point stated that you need to run all of your games maxed out. We have pointed out the falsehood in claims of maxing out games when you're not, you know... running at max settings? It's misinformation, that is why people are responding. Other people reading this thread would get a totally wrong impression of what the cards being discussed are capable of. Just about everyone on this forum is more than happy to lower a setting or two. We don't have much choice in the matter for the most part.

Playing with settings to get the best experience is part of PC gaming. Yes, you can get a game running at lower than max settings and have it look very similar or even identical to how it would look with max settings. That does not change the fact that you are not running the game at maximum settings. If you are not physically setting everything to max in the game, it is not maxed out. The visual comparisons are a totally separate discussion.

7. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Your right Darkest.. I retract most of my previous statement :p

8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Also some games look great at medium to high settings while others may look great with ultra settings.

9. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Nevertheless I will be impressed if they can make it run well on every card with less than 3GB of vRAM, since I'm using up all I have already. I doubt they can, because their requirements state 3GB for ultra textures. The stuttering really depends on the world loading or streaming algorithms. The vRAM usage is constantly fluctuating in this game, I've never seen it that bad with any other game before. Probably an SSD or faster memory or simply having less processes run in the background helps a lot too.

10. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    It doesn't matter what their requirements state, the game is an absolute mess and should never be used as a benchmark for GPU performance. I'm amazed the game passed quality control. We've seen games with high system requirements before, few of them actually needed them. Remember the last CoD that would only start for people with more than 6gb of RAM, despite it running fine for people with less when they employed a work around?

I'm not saying it's impossible for games to use more than 2gb of memory, that's clearly false. But until we have more appreciable games, that aren't a total shambles, we can't make clean cut statements regarding the benefits when it comes to cards like the 760 or 770.

11. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    What game engine does Watchdogs use. I also heard the game isn't very good. Another game that is hyped up like COD and is average in the end. Maybe the game engine isn't optimized good enough. Just like ID tech 5. Man has ID gone down hill. Why not make another Doom game like the originals? Getting swarmed by monsters. Doom 4 sucked! Monster closets and only a few pop out. There was nothing like falling thru a trap door,hearing imps clawing and groaning,it dark and you can't see anything,then the wall drops down and 30 imps are on you.. Now that's classic gaming! They need to go back to that stuff in a few games. That's why Wolfenstein is so good. Old school gameplay :p

12. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    The game has its flaws, yea. Here's a nice laugh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idA9BEA4Hxs
    But you can't expect it to be as good as GTA on the first try, either :wanker:!

I hope that ID does a good job on Doom 4. It will never have the impact Doom 3 had, times have changed, but if ID was passionate about this title then it will be great :banana:

13. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I also Hope that Doom4 is decent but from that teaser video It looks kind of like Doom 3 in the sense of the environment.

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Which is good :devil:

15. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    What's wrong with these developers? If they made Doom 4 like Doom 2 and added some cool stuff,like leveling up and getting new abilites,or being able to upgrade your weapons,that would be great. Or better yet,make it like Borderlands and go around getting missions.. Add co op.. That game would rock,its not that hard to get a decent formula.

16. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Man I agree that they need to add a co-op back into doom they haven had a co-op on a Doom game for PC since Final Doom.

17. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Back in 95 when we were on 56k modems,me and a buddy used to be up til 2 am co oping Doom 2 every night,talk about good times! I'm tellin you ,if they did a game like that with co op,it would be a serious hit. Throw a million imps at us with some awesome guns and it would be golden. Keep it simple but fun..

18. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Back in the day me and my 2 friends played Co-oped doom,doom2,heretic on the old IPX/SPX network.

19. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    LMAO
    Now I`m also laughing at myself, I wanted to preorder that game, not for me but to my older son but decided to quit few days before game was released. Think I`m going to wait for second or third update and then reconsider again about buying it.

20. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    When I saw they were giving this game away for free with new nvidia cards without the game even being released yet,I had a feeling it was gonna suck. They hyped this game big time and then this is the mess you get. You can't make it up. Don't believe the hype in these games,they never live up to it.