Nvidia 4 GB and 2GB Cards :

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by goat1, Jun 9, 2014.

1. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    You might want to look at some 780 6gb reviews yourself and look at the resolution you play at. Just keep a note of the 6gb cards boost clock vs a 3gb reference boost. I'd link some but Iam on my cell.

2. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Why would anyone need a 6gb card? It might benefit for 4k,but still,3gb is probably enough. I still think 4k is a ways off for mainstream.

3. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    I have now had both the 780 6gb in 2 way sli, and 780 ti in 2 way sli, and tbh i liked the 6gb versions better, eventhough they have slightly less power.

I know everyone hates Watch dogs as an example, but as i play that alot, im going to use it anyways - i can play it at ultra settings (but no AA) at 60 fps without stuttering with a single 780 ti... but enable aa (such as 4 msaa) and the Cards hit their vram limit, and the stuttering becomes really bad.
    However with the 6gb 780's, i could crank up the AA and experience no stuttering what so ever.

So if i were to recommend gpu's to someone buying right now, it would be either 6gb 780's (in minimum 2way sli), or crossfire 290 (non-x).

4. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Considering a worst case scenario of a 'bad' next-gen port, I think using Watch_Dogs as an example is justified.

Well I want to see how the games which are only on the 'next' gen platform are in performance though. Games like Assassin's Creed Unity (bad example), or Witcher 3 and Batman Arkham Knight (good examples).

Right NOW if someone had to buy a GPU, I'd think its a very very bad time. I'd go with a second hand to hold up till march atleast, to just see how the games perform.

I'd say its a bad time to buy, based on the games AND things such as DP1.2a upcoming.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    If you look like that it's always bad time to upgrade. Intel just said their upcoming broadwell will have only 6 months before skylake. New upcoming GTX8xx and R93xx will still be 28nm and will again have a short life.

Who knows, if you need right now then BUY it damn it!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  6. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Sounds about right. It uses about 3500MB here with SMAA @ 1200p, butter smooth. 4xTXAA is already pushing it. Still no severe stutters, but minor stuttering is definitely there. Makes sense as another guy with a titan reported about 4200MB usage at my settings with 4xTXAA.

7. GPU

GPU Guest

just saying not your $1200+so yea WE don't need it lol.

for sli the 780's oc have lots ,lots more grunt than your card
    if you pay $1200+ for two cards add block's it would be nice if you didn't need to turn down setting in the first 6 months.
    having more than 3gb for sli might do that and with nv you have only 3gb - or 6gb

I think your the 1 million poster that asked why would you need 6gb of vram when people only want more than 3gb like amd or maxwell.

remember 3gb or 6 gb

8. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Honestly, I couldn't care less for Watch Dogs.

The driving mechanics are just atrocious, it resembles some low budget race car game and although being nice graphically the environment is rather dull and uninspiring.

I've also spoken to a few people that own 6GB GTX 780's and they still experience stutter in this game at 1920x1080.

That aside, are there any games out that require more than 3GB VRAM at 2560x1440? (something that isn't like Skyrim with a bunch of mods installed.)

I've read several reviews and there is no mention of a GTX 780 Ti sh!tting bricks due to lack of VRAM. If anything I'd guess GPU power will run out before VRAM is an issue.

9. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Yes, a game like bf4 at 1440p, ultra settings, 4x msaa and resolution scale at 150% (or more) will vram choke the ti's, without being at 100% gpu load.

10. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Since we are talking about 6gb cards I thought I would chime in and give my 2cents. I thought about getting the 6gb MSI r9 280x but Then I watched the tek syndicate on the card and he said on the most graphical intense games the card would run out of juice before Vram. Also 6gb cards are very beneficial for playing on ultra settings even on a poorly coded game like WD.

11. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Obviously 6gb gpu's will only be relevant in multi gpu configurations (like i used / use), but then they are very relevant.

12. cps1974

cps1974 Guest

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX770 4GB
    I only play @ 1080p but found my 2GB GTX 670 running out of RAM for a few games I play, mostly Skyrim (I use a demanding but beautiful ENB, lots of 4K textures, increased enemy/NPC spawn and lots of other nice stuff), game settled down and became a ton more stable after I upgraded to 4GB GTX 770.

BF4, Watch Dogs, Metro LL (amongst others) all appear to benefit from the increased RAM and I'm loving it.

I understand the theory when people say 4GB is a waste, in my experience it is not but my circumstances and set up are mine and could differ from yours - however I'd always say if it is NEEDED get it - and if you DON'T NEED it save your money for when you do NEED it, unless you have more money than sense

13. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    How are your temps running SLi with the ACX cooler?

I prefer sticking with the stock cooler, but there aren't any available in the 6GB version.

14. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Horrible - worst decision i ever made, to go sli with the acx cooler. If i could throw them back in evga's face, and get the stock titan cooler instead, without additional cost, i would.

Issue in sli is, that the acx cooler spits ALL the air out through the sides of the Card... meaning that it will all be dumped inside the case, and be absorbed by the top gpu.

So on hot days, top gpu tops off at 85c with 85% fanspeed, while bottom gpu tops off at 72c and 60% fanspeed.
    Im reworking my Cosmos 2 case to try and reduce this issue, cause the heat / noise is unacceptable atm.

http://i.imgur.com/sZyoLLU.jpg

Its how it currently looks - removed top harddrive bay Cage, and added an additional 20cm fan to increase air pressure. Ive ordered a 4 way sli bridge, so i can place bottom gpu in the bottom pcie slot, and ordered 2x pci fans to suck out the hot air from the gpu's.

Bottomline : i wouldnt EVER recommend anyone buying Cards with the acx cooler for sli... get Cards with the stock titan cooler.

As a single Card, the acx cooler Works really well though.

Regarding the 6gb versions, get the msi version... the cooler fins are alligned along the Card, rather than cross the Card, like on the acx. Means that the msi twin frozr cooler pushes the air out the ends of the Card, rather than out of the sides.

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Thread is still going. If I needed a 4gb card it would be a 290 or 290x. Gk104 4gb not so much. Been there done that.

16. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Seems like it. I wonder how many times you can beat around the same bush?

17. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    I just went 4gb instead of 2gb because it was 15 dollars more when I bought mine so it was kinda no brainer.

18. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    In my humble opinion,when more and more games come out that need more than 2 gb of ram and I'm not talking about mods either,stock games.. Then I will go get an 880 3 or 4gb of ram card. Do you need 4 now,no! Not unless you are gaming with 3 monitors or 1440p,even with 1440p you might still be ok with 2 gb..

19. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    EVGA is releasing a reference cooled 6GB 780, if it's not available by the time I'm ready to purchase I'll go with MSi.

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I wasted 50 bucks more per card buying the ftw+ edition, but I made that money back when I sold my cards. even steven.