NVIDIA 257.15 Beta out for grabs

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by chinobino, May 24, 2010.

?

How is this driver working for you?

1. Better than previous drivers

197 vote(s)
    74.1%
  2. About the same as previous drivers

37 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. Worse than previous drivers

32 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. Nono06

Nono06 Master Guru

GPU:
    680 GTX SLI (1215/6884)
    are you sure that you disabled the SLI indicator in top 3d settings menu while you are the 3D Settings tab ?
    File Edit View 3D Settings Help

I do not have the problem here.

2. bokah

bokah Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    doubt there is no more xml, its bin now (check page 2)

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    OK thx..

4. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    nah only nvstared; i looked in programdata/nvidia (btw this nvidia folder is now locked.. lol weird).
    Actually there is a new folder programdata/NvidiaCorporation/Drs (nvdrsdb0.bin, nvdrsdb1.bin, nvdrsdb0.bin, nvdrswr.lk)

Did you delete all the rest like some here suggested?

in system32 (1 file > nvinfo.pb) and systemWOW64 (2 files > nvdecodemft.dll, nvencodemft.dll)

try and reinstall it again:

1. remove the driver
    2. run DriverSweeper and reboot
    3. let that wdmm install
    4. reboot
    5. run ccleaner (registry) to remove any shared dll's ( you might want to run it 2-3 times, as it leaves or breaks some other stuff)
    6. manually delete those 3 files in windows folder
    7. now install this driver again. (extract to folder first and install from there, i dont trust this installer anymore.. and i always remove 3D stereo, that audio codec and physx from it )

8. if physx makes a prob, then remove it from installer, run Driversweeper, remove main folder in prog. files (x86), run ccleaner (registry) and install it again..

5. Viscerous

Viscerous Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 2080 SUPER
    Yup. So anyone missing nHancer; you can use this tool to export and import the profiles and customize the settings manually. You'd have to know the values yourself obviously.

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Did you d/l the International, or the English version?

7. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    first int, but then i removed it and installed eng again.

lol i saw a bit to late that it was international..

edit: i just remembered, L4D2 froze with a sound loop after 20-30min or so.. im not sure was it the driver or custom map (i played city17 add on), i was at the 3rd level and then all the sudden... boom freeze.

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I think there might be a permissions issue with the International version.

I just reinstalled the English version, and voila - no more problems...

And the Resource.dat file is missing from the International set.

9. texasrattler

texasrattler Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670 2GB FTW
    I have a problem dating back to the 197.xx drivers. Even with the new driver 257.15 this problem still happens. The problem is that my desktop resolution keeps changing from it's native 1920x1200 to 800x600 after I reboot. Now the only thing I am doing prior to reboot is playing NBA Live '07. I am not 100 %sure if that game is actually causing a problem since it doesn't always do it right after but no other game or app seems to cause the desktop to rezise. I do not have any problems with 196.xx or older drivers with my desktop resolution changing. Anyone know how I can fix this?

I have uninstalled and cleaned my drivers like I always have. It's not the uninstall process. I believe it's a driver conflict with a game as that is the only time I can reproduce the desktop resolution change.

10. dragomirc

dragomirc Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX580 965/1930/4400
    Vista and Windows 7 need only to install a NEW Nvidia drivers OVER OLD ones.
    No need to reboot it Win 7 change drivers without even reboot.
    Never ever have problem with that way.
    Those paranoic old driver cleaning on every OS level is a bit silly.

So people relax and let set up to update Nvidia video driver.

I do not know is this same for ATI video drivers installation.

11. Nono06

Nono06 Master Guru

GPU:
    680 GTX SLI (1215/6884)
    Thanks a lot Viscerous for the link
    I was able to add "anno1404 venise" profile.
    I did not find how to modify the bin file with an hex editor (always got a database corruption) but this tool is doing the job correctly. :)

12. apoc_reg

apoc_reg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480
    What a good point!

13. SuperBill

SuperBill Master Guru

GPU:
    Dual eVGA GTX 580's - SLI
    Not so silly when you consider the fact that the majority of users out there most likely do not have the healthiest operating system environment due to the fact that most people like to install a lot of garbage software from who knows where. You'd be surprised what kind of problems crapware can give rise to (or rather not surprised if you know as much as I suspect).

14. btdvox

btdvox Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 690 - +135%/+100/+200
    Driver sweeper does more harm than good imo. It always removes stuff that makes other things buggered. If your going to reinstall drivers, It will overwrite what it needs to. I suppose every so often you should run Driver sweeper but I reimage my OS every 6 months.

15. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080M
    Maybe it's voodoo, but it appears that min framerate is better and in general the framerate is more stable (GTX 260 SLI).

I often had SLI or profile issues after plain install/upgrade. I think that with minor upgrades it's ok to just install new driver, but with major upgrades, especially with SLI, driver sweeper is a must.

16. Bludd

Bludd Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 285
    Installing over old driver is awesome in Win7 x64 because you don't need to reboot.

Maybe it works in Vista too.

17. intellimoo

intellimoo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 SUPER GamX
    Turns out 257.15 is too unstable OUTSIDE of games here for some reason. One time immediately after booting up, all I did was run just Windows Live Messenger and the display driver crash-recovered; Today when I switched on my monitor to start the day, the system was frozen on the screen saver (no idea when it froze while I was asleep). Of course, these things never happened before. So 257.15 was incredible for games, but it's too unstable for the desktop! lol

18. Homeless

Homeless Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 275
    TF2:
    Average increased by 20fps
    minimum decreased by 20fps

SC2 Beta:
    10fps lower

Display driver crashing:
    Still happens at random times (for me at least). Although instead of doing into 2d mode it now goes into 3d low power mode. Still required a reboot to fix it

Not keepers for me.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  19. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    any hack to get the sli indicator working in nhancer?
    nm guys, this drive gives my microstuttering. first time in almost 5 years of sli rigs. 197.57 for me

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  20. traft

traft Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Hybrid Gaming
    Well I installed and tried these out ran tests same as I've done for the past few drivers but I still didn't see improvements though they are running fine. I've known since I got the GTS 250 that my CPU was bottlenecking it but seems that not even drivers will show any improvements all of my past tests have been too similar, only thing I will ever see is degrade if the driver sucks so I didn't see any point in posting my numbers.