NVIDIA 197.13 beta drivers released!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Sr7, Mar 17, 2010.

?

How do you rate the 197.13 beta driver vs. 196.21?

1. Better than 196.21

133 vote(s)
    75.6%
  2. Worse than 196.21

23 vote(s)
    13.1%
  3. About the same as 196.21

20 vote(s)
    11.4%
  1. Barton C++

Barton C++ Guest

GPU:
    MSI Hawk GTX460 1GB @ SLI
    good find, will make a shortcut pointing to the game in that case...I haven't heard/read anyone's 3D clocks being stuck...mine goes 2D always after quitting BC2. Of the 15-20 times I've started BC2, 4-5 times exe quit 'the way it's meant to' (hmm..sounds too familiar :)

edit //
    nope, 4th try and exe stayed in taskman. shortcut on desktop
    "D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\battlefield bad company 2\BFBC2Game.exe" ...as someone earlier mentioned: as little as possible action going on screen (MSN, Fraps, EVGA, Steam Community) makes the most normal quits...still I can't make the exe close normally...

edit 2 ///

bc2 is one of the few games (well...the ONLY I know of!) that uses 3D low perf mode in menus. 60fps capped and 3d low perf = 45C in menus ! When I compare that to Dirt....260fps and 65C, card never got that hot in real gaming, only in menus.

So...maybe has to do with quitting in 3D low ? ..lol, I prefer a BSOD..or why not one of those new funky onse..pink, purple..white..black...sigh

edit 3 //

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1179413 - exe not quitting reported early march on steam forum, so not a driver specific issue...but I experienced it starting yesterday..easy to assume.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  2. ydoucare

ydoucare Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 260 OC
    Actually, speaking from experience, some CRT's do get *slightly* blurrier at higher refresh rates.

3. So3oL4Nu

So3oL4Nu New Member

GPU:
    GTX 465
    Hi all,

Damn, i've finished Metro 2033 yesterday. Metro seems to work fine using SLI.

I have the same problem, if i overclock my cards after 5-10 minutes my clocks are going to 2d mode, i didn't encounter this sort of problem with the old drivers like 180.

BTW: the rivatuner DOWNCLOCK trick dosn't work for me, any suggetions regarding the DOWNCLOCK problem ?

Cheers :cheers:

4. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Haven't tested any games, but videos work great.

5. suddenlyisee

suddenlyisee Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 570 MSI TFII
    GTX 260 here. Stay away from these or the .75's (these are based on them apparently) - they screw up SC2 - the screen is just flashing like crazy. Also hardware video playback is totally screwed up as before (skipping frames forward and back). Seriously NVIDIA devs, what are you smoking? 196.86 zero problems.

6. smut

smut Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960 SuperSC
    Wow, after installing these drivers it totally hosed my Win7 install. I had to reformat and reinstall Win7, no clue what happened! I just now tried the same drivers again on a fresh Win7 install and now I am getting "driver stopped responding and has recovered" errors everytime I click my mouse on a window. I even redownloaded the drivers incase they were corrupt.

Screw these, gonna try the 197.15's, if those don't work out I will go back to the 196.75's which worked great.

7. milax

milax Member

GPU:
    Gainward GTX295
    No problem here with these drivers, even no system information bug or anything. Seems to work very well and a little performance boost (i was using 196.21)

[​IMG]

8. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
    Video's are fine here too

9. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Same here , i just cannot believe the ammount of problems people are reporting :confused: , This drivers are Flawless , i installed this driver in 3 different PCs and NOT a single problem on any OS or configuration , what are you guys doing to get so much trouble ?

Tested in:
    Vista x32bit - 2x9600GTs SLI = Awsome and no problems to report
    W7 x64bit - 2x GTX285s SLI = Awsome and no problems to report
    XP 32bit - 8400GS = Awsome and no problems to report

Tested many games in a Samsung 24'' LCD 1920-1200 and my 46'' HD LCD TV 1920/1080 via HDMI no problems whatsoever. Using Mega K-Lite Pack Codecs with classic player , Nero 9 , windows MP 11 and Power DVD smooth running without a hick up or slow down. In my opinnion most problems are user related or faulty hardware related as per my own extensive testing this drivers are the best so far.

10. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    For some odd reason Metro 2033 would not let me select DX10 even though I use Vista 64-bit OS. So, to eliminate drivers as a possible cause, I tried these (had been running 186.14). I set up my PhysX card in the CP (9800gtx+), tweaked my settings as I had before, and my GTX285 will not switch to 3d clocks in game, but strangely, my PhysX card does. I tried this using Batman AA as well. :3eyes:

I'm gonna snoop around when I get home from work and see if I can find the issue.

Oh, and I still can't select DX10 in Metro 2033, but apparently that's a whole other issue...

11. RedruM-X

RedruM-X Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G
    My friend plays SC2 with GTX260 and these drivers without any problems at all, and video playback is working perfect.

Crazy post just like those ppl who suddenly claim idle temps went up.

What is happening here on this forum lately ... it's not Guru anymore.

12. Vector

Vector Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 FTW 4gb w/bkplate
    All 195.## series are not to good for my system in FSX (sp2). But in other games aok.

13. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    They're good not the best but allot better compared to 195/196 crap, and i was very surprised in 3dmark vantage its finally fixed!! in fact it felt so smooth like never before this stutter bug was here with 195/196, score stayed the same as with 191.87 but it was so smooth no hickup at all..

here is a small 191.87quadro vs 197.13 test @ win7 64bit;

GTA4, Dirt2, 3dmark vantage, cod4 mw, cod5 waw, DMC4 (same), Grid (same), TF2 (same)
    FarCry2 > (dx10 191.87: min57.4/max93.03/avg68,9) (DX10 197.13: 56.4/95.6/68.7)

(dx9 191.87: 42.6/73.2/51.02) (dx9 197.13: 41.8/73.9/51.6)

same/worse, slower:
    Heaven benchmark (lost 1.5fps, but black screen after quitting isn't present like with 195/196 and also no stutter like with 195/196), X3TC (lost2 fps, but faster lowest 1fps), RE5 (lost 1.5fps), BFBC2 (runs the same), NFS Shift (a bit faster ingame menu 191.87: 107fps ; 197.13: 113fps; otherwise the same), METRO 2033 (feels slower, but fps kinda the same), L4D2 (lowest: 52fps; 191.87: 56fps)

14. SuperBill

SuperBill Guest

GPU:
    Dual eVGA GTX 580's - SLI
    Well said. Alot of the issues I see reported with every single driver release never affect the vast majority. Yes there are some global issues but nothing like one might suspect by reading the feedback here. Basically every driver that comes out sounds like a useless piece of crap. I imagine most problems arise from an unhealthy system in the first place.

So far these drivers are working quite nicely for me.

15. rong

rong Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Such positive reviews!

Downloading.

16. Pey

Pey Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 980 STRIX @ SLI
    Just because you don´t have issues doesn´t mean there isn´t any and WE DO know how to reinstall drivers, otherwise we wouldnt be here.

My video card had never reached 80° before (let alone 84) and I´ve never had issues with SC2 beta either -screen flickers. Guess I´ll try 197.15 as well.

Update: SCII Beta still flickers with 195.17 :/

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=153943

100 replies, 11,000 views.

18. deets75

deets75 Guest

ha i guess you didnt read his follow up where someone asked him to change the res and see if he can then go back to 32 bit, he cant....

there is an issue in these drivers on HDTV's with the color selection, not faulty equipment or users :nerd:

plus there is an issue with the EVR renderer, maybe you dont use it :)

19. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Like every driver I used before this one, works perfect. And with some really nice FPS in Mass effect 2 (with some really nice forced antianalyzing) and Source engine games.

Is it OK to install the latest physx drivers on top of the ones it comes with? If so I'll do just that.

20. TheAgeOfMen

TheAgeOfMen Master Guru

GPU:
    750M
    Nice drivers, latency on things (videographix) is much lower now, things opening/moving faster/smoother, games running smoother and looks are good ... keeper for me :D