Nvidia 196.21 WHQL Drivers released

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by t1nsoldier, Jan 19, 2010.

?

How is this driver working for you?

1. Better than previous drivers

79 vote(s)
    35.4%
  2. About the same as previous drivers

74 vote(s)
    33.2%
  3. Worse than previous drivers

70 vote(s)
    31.4%
  1. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i always use driver sweeper in safe mode after uninstalling any driver and i don't have a creative card, this used to happened when i had the X-Fi titanium and it happens also with the Realtek. :)

amazingly enough in XP this doesn't happend with any 19x.xx drivers.

2. spacefrog

spacefrog Active Member

3. chomp

chomp Active Member

GPU:
    Gainward GF FX 5900 Ultra Ultra/1600XP Golden Samp

Nope, gtx285

4. smut

smut Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960 SuperSC
    Have you tried the Flash 10.1 beta 2 yet? If not, it's worth a shot if it might help/fix it.

5. R0achTheWarHero

R0achTheWarHero Banned

GPU:
    55nm 260gtx 750/1511/2406
    Going to uninstall and go back to 186.91 I think. Tried 196.21 and 195.62. For both drivers if I leave adaptive power management on, the card goes to 2d clocks on desktop but I can launch a game like DAoC and it doesn't go to 3d clocks....

If I turn adaptive power management off, it just stays in 3d clocks 24/7.

Adaptive power management is useless and just causes problems that weren't there before. Why was this feature put in the drivers in the first place?

edit: just went back to 186.91, mouse definitely feels more snappy than these new 190 series drivers. I'm using a logitech g9x at 3100dpi, if you use a primitive caveman mouse you might not notice

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  6. Darkje

Darkje Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX660ti DCII
    Mmm I'm having this problem with 195.62, 195.81 and the 196.21, but others are fine, so it must be something these drivers do.

Since it seemed I'm the only one with this problem, I even did a fresh install of w7 and 3dm06 to make sure nothing else caused it, but it's still happening. Artifacts in the sky with 3m06, looking like the card is oc-ed too much, while anything is working fine :bang:...

Maybe the card is failing, but only in 06, because vantage and anything else is still okay?

7. GaryHook

GaryHook Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 285 OC
    Work very well for me, dirt 2 has a more stable 60+ fps and dragon age loads alot faster also OC works fine with afterburner beta and rivatuner surprisingly :thumbup:

8. Sr7

Sr7 Master Guru

You don't understand how it works. AA can be applied to any of many surfaces that game uses to display your graphics. By default, if the game has no AA support at all, then override is worthwhile despite the fact that it is likely hugely inefficient because the driver has to literally guess what surfaces to apply AA to. It could apply it on the wrong surfaces and get no visual AA effect (while still paying a performance price), or apply it to too many and pay more of a perf cost and video memory cost than necessary to get the visual result of AA. Ideally you want to apply it to the bare minimum of surfaces necessary to see the AA take effect. However there is no way for the driver to know which surfaces those are if the game doesn't use AA at all itself.

However, if a game *does* support AA (as in the case of MW2, it supports up to 4xAA), then the driver can know exactly which surfaces to apply AA to and no longer has to guess. This is where the "enhance" mode comes in... it's much more efficient than override which is "brute force" AA. If a game supports AA in game *at all* then there is absolutely no reason to use override. Couple the inefficiency of the naive override mode with the fact that it can actually introduce corruption when used on the wrong surfaces in memory and you'll understand why NVIDIA disables override AA for games which support AA already.. enhance is what you should be using anyway.

To correctly use enhance, if a game supports AA built in, you should enable it there, then set enhance mode in the NVIDIA control panel to the actual AA amount you want, since enhance is much more efficient than override (the game knows precisely what surfaces need AA, so the driver just mimicks what the game does and applies unrestricted amounts of AA in place of the 4xAA limit the developers implemented).

The point is you have to use enhance mode along with some level of in-game AA or else it won't take effect. Enhance won't work on a game without some in-game AA support. Despite "override" modes shortcomings, it's better than having no AA at all in games which don't support any form of AA.

9. ElderTech

ElderTech Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX275
    NV wth..

I originally had thought possibly it was the n200 chip that the drivers had issue with but I have run into many different configurations that have had problems with the drivers from 191.07 up. my GTX260 had the dreaded "stopped responding" error and i ran driver sweeper etc. you name it the driver was just bad i determined after a month of trying variouse fixes.

I had someone call me with a Geforce 8400GT that was blank screening and they returned the brand new card only to find reverting back to the 190.38 driver fixed the issue and np since.. I am currently running a GTX275 and using the 190.38 also with no issue's. I had skipping and 1 BSOD along with loss of temps from the 195.62 on 2 different cards 7300GT and GTX275 running 32 Bit XP and 64 Bit Vista so I'm not sure what to make of it anymore.
    Just cannot seem to pin down any exact culprit. So I along with many others am losing faith in Nvidia after 3-4 releases that are broken in 1 way or another. 5970 might be my next card, not out of spite but simply because i do not believe it should take this amount of time to release a working driver when there are 1000's of your customers having issue's. I just wish I could locate the reason for it.. how so many are having np at all, and I have run into multiple systems and people that have been through driver hell with these lately.

10. guderiancol

guderiancol Member

GPU:
    EVGA 295 gtx
    Fine Driver, no more flickering and artifacts in ungine benchmark, it runs very well opengl caps viewer finally, fallout 3 is fine like past beta driver. Yea shaderclock in evga precision is broken but they will launch its upgrade, i hope. The nvidia icon come back. I will test to it the driver with crysys, warhead and wars...

11. civato

civato Master Guru

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    For me it's the NVIDIA recomended and that is 4-way AFR.

12. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    How can 40 people vote better then other drivers when you can't use any OC software with this set?

lol

13. ElderTech

ElderTech Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX275
    Maybe since it actually boots to a screen its better than the last 2 ? lol sad when this is "better" no offense to anyone but to me Nvidia dropped the ball.. and it bounced away... and noone went to get it.. and it got hit by a car..and its flat now.. well you get the idea.:banana:
    I am installing 7 / 64 bit this week on this box and the 196.21 and will see what happens.

14. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Finally the scaling bug is fixed :)

However, without full overclocking access in Rivatuner my games run slow :(

15. Kill4L

Kill4L Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Laptop
    Afterburner beta5 fixed overclock )

16. mapel110

mapel110 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 460 Gigabyte OC
    Stalker COP runs a little faster with these, compared with driver 195.55 on GTX260². (nearly 10%)

17. BlooHook

BlooHook Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW SLI
    Thanks! Now that I can OC my cards again I'll change my opinion on these drivers.

Still get flickering shadows in GTA4 with SLI on though...:(

18. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Yea I also get flickerings... Anyway it will stay like that until we get true SLi support in GTA 4.

19. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    i had to go back to 195.62 these caused stuttering in W@W and MW2.

20. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Gaming OC
    Maybe you have to disable alchemy or rapture3D. For me this drivers, for this games works ok.