Nvidia 196.21 WHQL Drivers released

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by t1nsoldier, Jan 19, 2010.

?

How is this driver working for you?

1. Better than previous drivers

79 vote(s)
    35.4%
  2. About the same as previous drivers

74 vote(s)
    33.2%
  3. Worse than previous drivers

70 vote(s)
    31.4%
  1. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    Well we know one thing for a fact,none of the nvidia driver team uses an overclocked computer,because if they did these drivers would of never made the download page.:)

2. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
    Or they said,, Nah, it's gonna pass no one will notice''

3. RedruM-X

RedruM-X Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G
    OMG. You are a seriously annoying person !

His point was that Guru should create a separate SLI section, which didn't mean he said that you people should bugger off.
    Looking at the thread and the latest trend it's pretty correct of saying it since SLI users seem to always have a TON of problems.
    We're not saying bugger off, we're hoping that Guru creates a separate section so you people can go and mingle with your own kind there, comprende ?

Someone else said we need a +1/-1 score or a poll etc, would be ok but if you read through the thread it's pretty obvious these drivers are very good for Win 7 and newer cards, only problem they are having in general is OC.

That dude who thinks it's Nvidia's fault that this (OC) doesn't work anymore is looking at it in the wrong way, Nvidia can change what they want, and as Unwinder said, they changed some ID stuff, it'll be easy to fix.
    You can wait forever for an explanation from Nvidia, they didn't do anything wrong on this level probably, they have their reasons to do it like that.
    Nvidia System Tools was always not so correct in fact, and it doesn't mean that if it doesn't work, that they did something wrong. First a new driver, then a new System Tools, the other way around isn't possible. And both at same time is asking too much tbh. Be glad Nvidia turns out a driver every month. Creative for their X-fi cards has now been working on a new driver for Win 7 for like 6 months ... and apparently they never really correctly supported Vista either ...

So dream on.

The Fallout 3 stutter messages I have been seeing in like EVERY driver thread, but only +-3 people every time or so. I don't get it, this game is old, I can run it in 1920x1200 with 0 stutter everything maxed ... this already since 6 drivers ago or something... I think you guys need to be looking at your settings somewhere.

Oh and those 2 dudes with their Nibitor advice ... very very bad advice flashing bios of the gfx card. The only reason I would see this handy is for increasing the voltage and that's it.
    Why :
    1) CPU OC'ers don't flash their mobo's with the OC's either, there is a good reason for it ... and is GPU OC'ing really different ... ? Lemme answer that one for you, NO it isn't.
    2) It's only acceptable if you would know your max OC, and THEN take it 2 or more steps down from there to be 100% sure, meaning you would never be able to max OC in fact. As you should know that with EVERY new driver a certain max OC is possible to fail all of a sudden and NOT work anymore, failing to see that is ... lack of experience I guess.
    Only way to circumvent it would be to reflash bios with the default bios every time before you do a driver update, and let's be honest, all that work for something you can just do with a program ... :)
    Oh and just imagine PC powering down while flashing eh ... it never happens right ... :D
    And in this case, wait 2 days and there's probably a solution for this driver and OC'ing.
    Useless advice tbh, but good for you if you like it.

On the level of the driver itself, I'm waiting with this one. It's a hard wait as I think these drivers will rock, but can't live without OC'ing in Riva ^^

And one more time, Nagasaki, you are a seriously annoying kiddie.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  4. bloowhalez

bloowhalez Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 270
    yea i agree telling people to flash their bios on their card is something you keep to yourself. its quite dangerous and youll be tempting noobs with that one. this is something for advanced users, and since advanced users already know about it, lets try to keep it that way

5. RedruM-X

RedruM-X Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G
    Exactly my thought !

6. argon

argon New Member

GPU:
    3xGTX 285 black E+9800GT
    This driver is no good for sli or non sli. i would love to have a thread just for sli then i wouldnt have to waste my time installing drivers that none sli people think are great only to discover that there useless for me. I vote for a sub heading for sli users.

7. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    nice drivers

8. SuperBill

SuperBill Guest

GPU:
    Dual eVGA GTX 580's - SLI
    I flashed my bios(es) and now I need one less app loading at startup :) Modifying your bios is pretty simple these days it's good for the so called 'noobs' to find something else to learn. We were all 'noobs' once until we came across the information necessary to achieve enlightenment.

9. darthminus

darthminus Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX580
    I honestly dont care about the shader clock bug. As long as these drivers make playble Champions Online and Star Trek Online with high settings, after a long time. they are good for me.

10. RaXelliX

RaXelliX Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
    Nvidia BIOS flashing is little more complicated than it could be tho.I remember i compiled modded bioses for both my cards quite some time aga, but never got to flashing because i didnt have floppy.I suppose i could use USB but no point.Currently CPU is bottlenecking in most games anyway.

With ATI its easier to flash

11. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    CPU is a bottleneck in games, where did that come from? I'm just curious, I honestly haven't seen any change in game performance there for quite a while.

You're right about the floppy though. Quite annoying but not a real problem, at least all those old floppy disks get used for something :D

12. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    haha no point, going back to xtreme-g 195.62. Cant overclock, not going to even bother.

Works fine otherwise. Back to 195.62. peace

13. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    Hopefully for me I did not changed the bios on my old 8800Ultra cards since both died before the warranty expired (I was refunded). So I will wait 1 extra year before doing that on my 295GTX.:nerd:

14. RaXelliX

RaXelliX Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
    Ok i clarify a little:i meant specificly my CPU is bottlenecking my SLI setup because even in games with SLI support i get little better fps(maybe 1-2fps only) and noticeable stutter where cpu cant cande both cards.With SLI off i sometimes get even better performance than with SLI on.

Although there are games that rely on CPU a little more.For example GTA4 reportedly uses quadcore cpu-s quite good.

15. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    My question is how could Nvidia release a driver that can't be overclocked?

Just makes no sense in 2010.

16. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    @R0achTheWarHero , thankx for calling me a noob , finally i know who i'm.

If i poste something , it's to help someone , not to b.tch.
    I learned a lot from the 3D forum over the past year, but not from guys like you.
    If this forum bores you go hit a tree or something, but pleeeease stop spamming this section.

On this driver , 196.21

For the sli gamer.

Good performance on my system , except problems with Crysis warhead.

17. Marlec

Marlec Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX780GHZ Editio
    Helios of the Codemaster Forums just posted this about Dirt 2 SLI still not working for some:

As some have noted, depending on your system configuration in order for the new Nvidia drivers to result in improved performance, they will need to be used in conjunction with our upcoming DiRT 2 PC patch.

Maybe those who are now able to run SLI are using Steam versions of the game on Win 7 or something?? I am using a Disc version of the game on Win XP & its not working. Could those who have SLI now working confirm this for me please ?

18. eddieveenstra

eddieveenstra Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780@1150MHz
    I actually fixed that by installing the 195.81 driver without removing the 191.07 driver. Seems that did the trick with the 2d/3d power issue for 1 gpu.

19. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    WTF its wrong with you :3eyes: , this is an enthusiastic board as well otherwise i would not be here, this is GURU3D not Disney.com ;). Now how come you noobie come here insulting people and calling them names without knowing a Darn thing about them , your ignorance and noobness shows ;) , Read and inform a little better yourself before you start posting all the crap that you have been posting nonsense , your non useful replies are pathetic to say the least and that shows how little respect you have for others , i would suggest that you stop been so unpolite and irrespectful or GTFO , otherwise i will suggest a ban for you. Read and listen to yourself for a moment:

" Unless you are dumb enough to buy SLI "
    " I'm tired of reading this dumb wive's tale "
    " They also need to ban SLI users from these threads "
    " noobs with SLI problems "
    " [BYou're running a quad SLI setup though. Everybody knew from day 1 it wasn't going to work properly whatsoever. There is no fixing that, it's always going to be broken][/B] "
    " SLI is a pre-beta technology "
    " An enthusiast board would be something like http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/index.php

Where people have phase change cooled CPUs and other ridiculous stuff and you will rarely if ever see anything considered to be a newbie question. This is as mainstream of a forum
    "

Now you tell me who sounds Dumb :banana: , as you call SLI users ;).
    But what do i know im just a noobie and know nothing about been an enthusiast, as well as many many other people here in Guru3D. Shut up , shape up or GTF out :whip:. And please stop the SPAM :spam: nonsense crying you Roach you are not been useful or helpful around here :gta:.
    Why oh why noobs like this keep posting nonsense post :3eyes:.
    " Rant mode off "

Back on topic , anyone else having bugs stuttering , low scores and freezes in 3DMark vantage with this driver ?

W7 x64bit
    GTX285 SLI

20. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
    Just stuttering in crysis ,and there is some kind of input lag too.