1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nvidia 181.20 WHQL and Fallout 3 Fix

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by TaurusManUK, Jan 16, 2009.

1. TaurusManUK

TaurusManUK Member

GPU:
    GB GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    Hi Guys

This is for people for whom simply turning water quality to low is not working.
    I have tested this for few hours and VATS outdoors is working without any problems.

1. Clean install 181.20 drivers
    2. Install LATEST version 9 of physx after display driver is installed.
    3. Open Nvidia control panel, make sure all values are set to default
    4. In global settings tab, change Multi-display/Mixed_GPU Accl to "Single display perfomance mode", * By default its set to Multiple Display Peformance Mode*
    5. Open Fallout 3 options, set Reflections Quality= medium and Water multisampling = low
    6. In shadows tab, set Shadow Quality = Medium
    7. In View distance set Grass fade = 6 or lower

I am using XFX GTX 260, Black Edition on Q9450, P5E3 Deluxe, Windows vista Ultimate 64 sp1

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  2. FNK

FNK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    What was not working?

3. StealthSilver

StealthSilver Member

GPU:
    2x GeForce 8800GT 512 SLI
    I don't understand either.

4. KillerC

KillerC Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 RTX
    I already tried the new PhysX drivers , the water Multi-sampling , single GPU , and setting all the profile settings to default but not the other things.
    I'll give this a try , you and I have the same video card so who knows.

thanks

5. HaZe303

HaZe303 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080 Ti
    Could someone tell what this is supposed to help??? Game works fine for me, so please tell?

6. Broken Haiku

Broken Haiku Member

GPU:
    AMD 280x 3GB
    Just guessing here, but it could be the VATS event slowdowns that plague a lot of users.

7. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    he is talking about the crashes in fallout 3 many vista users with 200 series cards are experiencing. either using VATS xrashes the game, or certain outdoor areas do(washington monument). to those people affected, it only happens with this driver. I am one of those people :cry:

nothing helps except renaming the exe to Oblivion.

8. KillerC

KillerC Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 RTX
    That would be the issue.

Here a couple of threads if more info is needed , countless results pointing to the problem being very common , and although many of the problems are with a combo of the 181.20WHQL and Vista64bit I have vista32bit and have the issue so it is NOT OS specific. And although rolling back the drivers fixes it that forces you to lose any performance increases you may get in other games with the latest release.

I have not yet had the chance to try this "work around" that this thread was posted for but if it works it is very relevant to a major issue with the newest driver from Nvidia and at worst case should be moved to the games section.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=284092

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=938939

fair enough?

9. elrazor

elrazor Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 970 1512/7400
    I can play on ultra settings without any lags and bsods.. what u say?

10. KillerC

KillerC Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 RTX

me? what would you like me to say?

your lucky? lol or how about this , your using a 9600 for your main card and I'm using a GTX260??

I took the time to find 2 threads and post the links to people that are effected by this issue for the first poster that wanted to know what the problem was , one of the threads is in THIS very forum the other is in the Official Bethesda Fallout3 PC help forum , PLEASE if your truly interested in the problem try reading through them and find a pattern and just maybe you can find a solution instead of just being sarcastic , if thats was in fact sarcasm , if not I apologize.

IMHO , this thread took this driver problem discussion out of the 181.20 driver thread thus saving (even more) pages and pages of people posting about the same issue as they already have been , it made it easier for people effected to go straight to the issue and find a possible solution and freed up valuable space (which also seems to be an issue lately) for others to just read and get info about the drivers themselves.

maybe I'm wrong here but I fail to see the problem with that.:)

PS @ T.M.UK , I will try your suggestions tonight , I see that they were also posted over at the Bethesda Fallout 3 forums and have worked for some , good find and thanks.

11. scratch42069

scratch42069 Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9600GT OC 512MB
    I get crashing in Fallout 3 with 181.20 not when in VATS but when looking around. I get slowdowns when entering VATS though. Frequent crashing spots are Megaton and the water around the bridge between Big Town and Germantown Police HQ. The fixes mentioned in this thread didn't help at all so I rolled back to 181.00.

12. elrazor

elrazor Master Guru

GPU:
    KillerC
    Im not a lucky dude.. im just using some tweaks ^__^

elrazor`s tweaks 1.0

1. How to change resolution that i need:
    In file:
    Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\USER\My Documents\My Games\Fallout3\FalloutPrefs.ini
    Windows Vista - C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\My Games\Fallout3\FalloutPrefs.ini
    iSize W=1680 (or your resolution)
    iSize H=1050
    (or your resolution)

2. Some tweaks
    Great tweaks for Dual\Quad\HT CPU-s
    In File Fallout.ini:
    Under [General]
    iNumHavokThreads=5 or 3 (default 1)
    iThreads=9 or 10
    iOpenMPLevel=10
    bUseMultiThreadedFaceGen=1
    bUseMultiThreadedTrees=1
    bUseThreadedBlood=1 (default is 0)
    bUseThreadedMorpher=1 (default is 0)
    bUseThreadedAI=1 (default is 0)
    bUseThreadedTempEffects=1 (default is 0)
    bUseThreadedParticleSystem=1 (default is 0)
    Under [Display]
    bAllow30Shaders=1 (default is 0)

In file FalloutPrefs.ini:
    Size W=1920
    iSize H=1200
    iMultiSample=8
    iMaxAnisotropy=15

This tweaks optimize memory in game:

1GB of RAM:
    uInterior Cell Buffer=6
    uExterior Cell Buffer=72
    iPreloadSizeLimit=52428800

2GB of RAM:
    uInterior Cell Buffer=12
    uExterior Cell Buffer=144
    iPreloadSizeLimit=104857600

These parameters make possible to preload textures at the beginning of the load of level, but not in the process of game. It will possibly solve problems with the task switching. Always make backups before experiments!

bBackgroundLoadLipFiles=1
    bLoadBackgroundFaceGen=1
    bBackgroundCellLoads=1
    bLoadHelmetsInBackground=1
    iBackgroundLoadLoading=1
    bBackgroundPathing=1

Guaranted! NO freezes!

13. scratch42069

scratch42069 Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9600GT OC 512MB
    It may work for you but it isn't guaranteed at all. I happen to use the same basic ini tweaks and I crashed like clockwork with 181.20.

14. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Same here.

My system specs are more than adequate for running the game at Ultra High settings with 8X AA and 16X AF and that is what I was doing with the previous v180.84 beta drivers. However, with the v181.20 WHQL drivers the game crashes for me anywhere between a minute and ten minutes into the game, usually while I'm just wandering around in the wastelands. Using VATS is unaffected.

Dropping the graphical settings is hardly ideal IMO so I want a solution that still allows me to play at my current settings without having to compromise.

Also I notice the distorted Pip-boy radio music is still there even with the recent patch but that doesn't crash the game thankfully and can be worked around by turning the radio off. Again not ideal but less annoying that having to lower graphics settings to prevent crashing.

I did try rolling back to the earlier v180.84 betas but somehow those got messed up for me and I ended up having to use a System Restore point. I did install the v181.20 WHQL drivers over the top of the previous betas but in the past I've never had problems doing so. Uninstalling the drivers and running Driver Cleaner before installing new ones wipes out custom game profiles so it isn't something I want to do particularly.

15. elrazor

elrazor Master Guru

GPU:
    Anyway it work for me.. and for other russian forum thread.. and this tweaks make game much faster

16. Hootmon

Hootmon Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX580 8GB
    The recent FO3 1.1 patch is supposed to fix some of the problems being mentioned.

17. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Many of the Fallout 3 crash issues have apparently been fixed with the v181.22 beta drivers, although I've yet to confirm this.

18. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 2080 Ti
    Weird. I didn't have that crash on 181.20, or 181.22. I wonder if its something to do with an OC not taking, and the drivers just made the game really sensitive.

19. abb1

abb1 Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX 295
    The thing is that if you have to switch all your settings to low or medium, then it is time to swith to a different driver. The whole idea about spending hundreds of dollars on a graphics card is to play the game of choice at the maximum settings :). I am using the 181.20 drivers and have not yet experienced a crash and ALL my settings are maxed out

20. Razor3DC

Razor3DC Active Member

Renaming the Fallout3.EXE to Oblivion.EXE was the only thing, that helped on my system.
    C2D E6420 2,13GHz @ 3,2GHz, 8800GT @ 700/1728/1000, WinXP SP3...
    (defaults didn't help either)

Settings are maxed out @ 1920x1200 and 2xAA.
    Without renaming you'll get crashes at least after 5min, with renaming there are none.

RazorĀ“

P.S.: renaming the EXE to something else than Oblivion.EXE didn't help... strange.
    But I know, that there are fixes for Oblivion in the drivers and FO3 is based on the same engine...

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009