NVHardPage power indicator

Discussion in 'nVHardPage' started by Monrad, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Monrad

Monrad Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro =)))
    Hi. I own an Albatron FX5600 Turbo. It's the version that needs the power supply cable to be plugged in the card.
    In the card's manual says that if I don't plug that power cord a window will pop up telling me this:

To protect your hardware from potential damage or causing a potential system lockup, the graphics processor has lowered its performance to a level that allows continued safe operations.

The fact is that I've never seen this message until today. I run NVHardPage, click on the Screen Resolution Button and then Power Indicator and there's the message.

I have this cord plugged in correctly and my power source has a max power of 400W. I don't know if this is ok.

I've also turned on my computer without this cord plugged in and this message never showed.

Anyone knows anything about this?

I'm using latest detonator official release.

Thank you very much.

2. Matuus

Matuus Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GeForce 8800 GTS 512 MB GDDR3
    This message show only if you have card with conector for external power and you dont plugged cord correctly and running 3D aplications/games.

If you press POWER INDICATOR button in nVHardPage, then nvhardpage show you this windows (nVidia Sentinel) .....

I add this feature because I think that nVidia sentinel have a bug at this time (and new detonators correct this bug) and ever show this warning .... but maybe nVHardPage run only this warning window, rip from real nVidia Sentinel code.

Anyway, nothing happends, you card is OK.

Sorry if I make you problems.

3. Monrad

Monrad Maha Guru

GPU:
    Don't worry, I am ok. This Sentinel is supposed to "underclock" my card if there is no enough power for it and my card is working at the right clock speed.
    The problem was that a friend of mine that has an Asus FX5600 touch this button and called me because he was afraid that something was wrong. I told him not to worry that the message is ok, but I always want to know the reason for anything :D

Thank you very much for worrying and congratulations for your work with NVHardPage.

4. ricochet

ricochet Guest

I have a similar problem.

I cannot overclock the Vid Card at least that is only the ram will overclock and stay overclocked.

the GPU will not stay at the clock setting I set if U run any thing 3D it will drop the Speed back to Default levels.

I have not found any way to make this setting stay put ie. no overclocking program keeps it at the levels I set.

Hardpage is the only one with this sentinel power warning I cannot confirm this is the problem the Nvida drivers dont pop up with this box, I assume they are supposed to if there is a problem like this?.

I have a leadtek 5900u 256meg and an Nforce 2 Chaintech board. 400w powersupply (full PCI slots 5 cards)

Is there any way to independantly confirm this power warning. without having to resort to removing cards and changing powerpacks.

Or is there a setting to prevent the core slowdown so I can see if it will actually set the clock higher than 300Mhz.

5. Monrad

Monrad Maha Guru

GPU:
    ricochet, I don't know If I can help you but I can give you some advice. First check you have the power cord plugged to your FX card.
    Does this happen with different set of drivers? You should try using different detonators to see if they still downclock your card.
    If you have all the PCI slots with cards maybe you need a more powerful powersupply. The FX series needs a lot of power, AMD also needs a lot of power too. For example... overclocking your AMD makes you "spend" more power from the powersupply.
    Try disconecting some PCI cards. If the power is not the problem, then I can't think in anything else.

6. ricochet

ricochet Guest

Hey thanks for your reply!

Yes I've tried quite a number of drivers
    45.24/45.23/44.90/44.00/43.45. The non changing GPU Clock speed is the same in all plus it does this in XP/Server/millenium.

I will have to take all the cards out and drop the CPU down to standard speed and try it

I'd hoped that someone might have had a solution other than power ... lol nevermind I guess i'll have to try that option now.

I have to say that even at the standard speed of 300/850 on the Card I still get plus 6000 3dmark 2003 (I know it's not a good benchmark) I've compared to similar cards/machines and my benchmarks are the same or better in most cases.

I'm wondering if the benchmarks published by people are actually correct. As my card even with the lower clock still gets similar scores. I've found powerstrip is useful for checking clock speed as it provides an onscreen overlay showing GPU/mem Clocks.

When I do anything 3D the ram will stay the same but the GPU clock is reset everytime back to 300. U can call this onscreen display up in most programs/games to check it.

interestingly the Nvidia Panel/Winfox (leadtek overclock utility) shows the values I set all the time this is reflected in the powerstrip one as well. however as said it drops as soon as 3D is run. This is also shown in hardpage, while in the Nvidia panel and the winfox one they stay at the values set... although the card has actually been slowed down.

No benefit in any benchmark is shown by turning up GPU only ram shows an increase of any FPS. Even if I was CPU locked ie can't give the card enough data to play with, U would expect an increase to be shown in very complex geometry scenes if the GPU was overclocked wouldnt you?.

ahh well Thankyou again for your advice it's about what I thought I'll leave a message after i've checked it by removing cards/dropping CPU back in speed and i'll try the card in another machine.

My system voltage shows up as 4.7 volts so yes it's probably a voltage problem

7. Monrad

Monrad Maha Guru

GPU:
    Well, about other solutions, maybe there are, but I'm just supposing that this power issue could be the answer to your problem.
    About benchmarking you should try CodeCreatures. When I overclocked my video card I obtained 200 additional points... I didn't overclocked it more because I don't want to waste it. I don't know if it's dangerous... but I'm being cautious. I have no money right now to buy a new vid card ;)
    About overclocking... I'm not so experienced whit that but I know for sure that you must have a better performance if you overclock your GPU. I never tried overclocking only the GPU. I tried overclocking both GPU and memory. I should try that to see what's the max I can get from those.
    I'll try it and I'll tell you. I'll test this with 3DMark2001, I don't trust 2003 at all. It's not only 3DMark whom I don't trust but Nvidia as well. They've optimized 44.03 to have better performance in build 220. I upgraded 3DMark 03 and performance went down. After installing latest drivers, performance went up again with build 330... so... I don't know what to think. I like CodeCreatures. It's not as amazing as 3DMark... but it shows you the FPS... and that's the only thing you need from a benchmark :)

Good Luck

8. ricochet

ricochet Guest

Well I tried taking out all my PCI cards I dropped the Chip back to 2400xp standard speed (this was causing the Drop to 4.7volts alone) taking the cards out didnt change the voltage. Voltage ended up back at 4.95 volts on 5 volt line.

Anyway to take more load off I ran the Hdd's etc on a sperate power supply including trying the seperate power supply to the vid card on both power packs.

Nothing made any difference to the cards wanting to overclock.

I'm not especially worried as performance seems fine. I do have that annoying stutterring problem that alot of other people have. To be honest I'm more annoyed about that than the non overclocking.

I'm getting 15879 in 3dmark 2001 I'll post some comparisons at different apparent overclocks once I get them together.