NVDEC hardware decoding performance

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Chrysalis, Dec 27, 2023.

1. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    So I installed all of the following WMF codecs to activate hardware decoding on youtube for the codecs.

AV1, VP9 and HEVC(not currently used).

I since noticed AV1 videos are a stuttery mess 1080p or above, even as low as 1080p it seems the NVDEC chip on my 3080 isn't enough to play it smoothly. At 4k its extremely stuttery. CPU usage is almost zero which is nice, but the performance is a big let down.

Note the NVDEC saturation I could only notice by increasing sensor update intervals to 0.1 second in something like gpuz, where there is multiple spikes to 95+ %.

Is this expected, are the chips this weak, or is my experience unusual?

When using software encoding CPU utilisation is noticeable but it plays butter smooth, even if I push Firefox to the e-cores they can handle it just fine.

So my inclination is to remove the WMF AV1 support.

The NVDEC chip does seem to handle VP9 with less problems, smooth at 1440p and below, but 4k is similar to 1080 performance on AV1. VP9 has overall more NVDEC load but is way less spiky so is handled better.

Can see now why 4000 series had a significant NVDEC boost.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    This is a browser issue, not a decoder issue.

use h264ify enhanced to limit youtube to vp9 max or limit your av1 watching to Firefox, chromium has 2 or 3, multi-year old issues for this.

Chrysalis likes this.
  3. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    This is in firefox, I now have done two things, I set youtube to only use AV1 up to 480p, and I disabled WMF for AV1 and VP9 so they on the CPU again. h264ify is an option as well yeah to force AV1 not to be used at all. It is an extra 10w of power for CPU decoding but better than stutters.

Guessing youtube cares more about bandwidth than decoding performance?

4. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    I would try resetting your Firefox settings to defaults and start from there.

I use Firefox nightly personally (but stable Firefox should have the ability to utilize the WMF AV1 extension now) with the WMF AV1 extension from the Microsoft store installed and while I can play all videos with AV1 on Youtube up to 8k 30fps, it's starts stuttering when trying to playback 8k60fps.

This was with a 3080ti or my current 4070ti. Uninstalling AV1 extension (or blocking the preference for using it in firefox's about:config menu) removes the stutter at any resolution and framerate, but since I used a 12700k or 13700k at the time the CPU could handle the load.

Chrysalis likes this.

5. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Wont be resetting the settings, I think its unlikely to improve it as prior to me disabling WMF via the prefs, all media preferences were at stock anyway. I would need to make a note of everything I changed so can set it back again, unless you know an easy way to import my settings back?

Given you fixed it the same way as me, it suggests NVDEC (via WMF) combined with firefox combined with youtube just cant handle it, so yeah I take your post as confirmation, CPU is the way to go.

My CPU is a 13700k and handles it comfortably.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Atleast part of the issue is the video renderer isn't queuing enough frames in advance for the 8k res when hardware decoding.

Mda400 likes this.
  7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070