NV4x softmodding boom continues. Ability to enable hardware masked units with RC15.2!

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Unwinder, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    God Forbid !

2. Mythol

Mythol Guest

Softmodding 6800 GTO - No Luck

I am new to the world of modding video cards so bare with me. My girlfriend bought a Dell with a PCI Express 6800 GTO in it. Following instruction from others on the web I attempted to mod the card. No matter what I do, the card or RivaTuner dose not appear to "process" my changes.

Here is what I did:
    1. Loaded the drivers Dell provided (I do not know the version off hand but it is newer than any possible download from NVIDIA)

2. In RivaTuner, I click on the customize button right of the description of the card (256bit NV40 (A1, 12x1, 5vp) with 256MB DDR)

3. Choose "Low Level Tweaks"

4. Choose "NVStap Driver" tab

5. Click "install"

6. Click on the checkbox, "Allow Enabling Hardware Masked Units"

7. Choose Customer out of the drop down

8. Click "Customize"

9. Add checkmark to Bit 03 Pixel Unit 2

10. Add checkmark to Bit 11 Vertex Unit 3, This Sets Mod from Cur: 00003707 to Tgt: 0003f0f

11. Click Ok, OK, and Reboot.

When I reboot, I load up Riva, it still displays my card as: 256bit NV40 (A1, 12x1, 5vp) with 256MB DDR. Checking the customize tab it shows the checkmark in the correct Bits, but they still say disabled.

I followed the same steps, using Forceware 61.77. Same problem.

Doing some reading I found a post stating that Forceware 53.30 protects against NVStrap driver. So I am the nv4_mini.sys antiprotector script on both sets of drivers and follow the same steps above. Again... No Luck.

If anyone has any ideas or can see where I went wrong, please let me know. Thanks

3. Subtestube

Subtestube Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GV-N68128DH 6800 NU
  4. b|1ng b|1ng

b|1ng b|1ng Guest

knowing that the softmod was available it makes sense to target graphics cards most likely to allow the softmod to work and to me this means figuring out the best card to buy to make the softmod stick

5. Oliii

Oliii Member

GPU:
    Inno3D Geforce 6800GT 256GDDR3
    Please Unwinder help.

'' Furthermore, I have serious stability problems even after disabling it so probably it is possible that attempt to enable ‘bad’ unit may even cause permanent hardware damage. I’ve not found the reason of my instability yet, but I don’t exclude such a possibility.''

What do you mean ???
    How could it damage my card?? by overheating or what.. please explain me
    Because I did the softmod but after I disabled it, the artifacts didnt go away.. I have a big heat pipe on the card so Its impossible to overheat....

6. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Try to read whole thread instead of getting one phrase without seeing the context.

7. GaneshJadu

GaneshJadu Guest

Yea atleast take your time and read. You might be doing something way worng to soft mod the card?

8. Oliii

Oliii Member

GPU:
    Inno3D Geforce 6800GT 256GDDR3
    The problem is that I m not english so I may be misunderstand something thats why I asked you to explain it a bit simple , I ve read the hole text but sometimes I dont understand what you mean...
    Im really sorry

9. MpDay

MpDay Guest

Unwinder,

First, I want to thank you for making such an amazing software tool. I have MSI NX6800 128MB with 12p, and the other 4 are HWmasked. Since RivaTuner 15.2, it is possible to unlock HWmasked pipelines, but there are more negative effects than positive effects until now. I'm not going to try and unlock the HWmasked pipelines.
    Also the prices of the 6800 and the 6800GT are becoming very equal these days.
    Here in The Netherlands, you'll pay about € 290 for a 6800, while a 6800GT will cost you only € 325!

I have one question after all: I'm just interested in how you got the knowledge of all this stuff. How you know the hardware works, how you know to write the software etc.
    I mean, when 15.1 was released, you were able to softmod your card, unless the pipes were hardware masked. Then, in 15.2, you already managed to unlock hardware masked pipes!
    In some of your posts, I read something that you found a 'leak', or 'hack' in an older BIOS version, that was able to unlock these hardware masked pipes etc.
    This means that you are using some kind of 'reversed engineering' technique to get the BIOS code, or am I wrong?

Myself, I've been designing & writing parts of (BIOS) firmware for professional HDTV broadcast cameras (High-Definition Television). In my latest project, we have managed to transfer HDTV images over a LAN connection using TCP/IP. Not that this has anything to do with RivaTuner, but maybe we're on the same level of interest. ;)

So, I'm just curious how you got the intelligence. :) You work at nVidia or something like that? Because making RivaTuner is kind of a hobby for you, as I suppose?

Greetings,
    Mp

10. DFyNt2U

DFyNt2U New Member

GPU:
    Club3d 6800LE,128mb... now 16p,5v+OC => 46% ;)
    Bought a 6800LE 3 days ago...
    First what I did was browse the inet to get info about activating those disabled/damaged pipelines... obviously I came here ;)

After running around with some different versions of drivers, I started RTing the card.
    First a 3dmark03... a pitty 6447 points.
    HW masks: 0011p 101000v.

Activated all p.p. ... : NO problem
    v.p. 6 was damaged, (screen flashies)
    v.p. 4 seemed ok.
    so I now got 16p5v.
    after that I had 8581 points... (33 % improvement)

Today I found out how to dissable the internal test, (tnx to some info on these boards).
    I OCed core freq from 300 to 340... seems ok.
    at 345 MHz 3dmark3 pauses... and at 350 RT Test the temperature suddenly drops from 60 to 58-57-56. mark3 confirms: all screen is flashy... could be the v.p. 4 coz the screen looks the same as when I activated v.p. 6. Anyway...
    I settled at a 340/800 (instead of 300/700)

3dmark3 result 9417 points.
    thus a 46 % total increase.

really fieldtesting has to commence. I hope everythings workin' ok.

the still below 10000 score could be caused by the mere 128 normal ddr. and probably the fact that I still got a classic 2400 processor. 3dmark3 gametest 4 (mother nature) really gets crampy.
    Anyway, I'm lucky I guess.

DFyNt2U.

11. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    That's a great report DFyNt2U! :)
    I wish there were many more users that report in detail just like you :thumbup:

And BTW, welcome to Guru3D... ;)

12. DFyNt2U

DFyNt2U New Member

GPU:
    Club3d 6800LE,128mb... now 16p,5v+OC => 46% ;)
    TY, anyway... forgot a little update:

I tried to confirm my theory about the 350 Mhz and the v.p. 4.
    I DEACTIVATED the v.p. again.(16p4p) And OCed it to 350 again.
    but still with the same freezing result.
    So tweakin' it back to 16p5p. Unfortunately, after some more detail image inspection I discovered some artifacts at 340 and 335. (Some that I didn't see before)
    At 330 Mhz things were ok.

So I tuned it down to 330 Mhz core, and 750 Mhz memory. I tried a higher memory but it didn't seem to improve speed... so why takin' a risk ;) (if one of ya have any suggestion , plz)

I tested it again with 1024x768 4xAA and 8xAniso. The result was around 6590 points... which is HIGHER than a benchmark I read about a leadtech 6800 GT. ;)

So I got a GT quality card for around $ 80-100 less.... ( of course the GT can be OCed to approx Ultra level, but I talk about a non-OCed GT)

Tnx for all the info,
    Its really helpful for someones first Softmod and OC. ;)

DFyNt2U.

13. Ferromancer

Ferromancer Guest

BFG hardmod success!

Report and statistics for hardmodding of BFG Geforce 6800 128 NU OC:

I followed the provided instructions for hard modding and unlocked BOTH the 4 extra pipelines AND the extra vertex processor, without frying my card and without any artifacts. It is operating at a comfortable 55C right after games, and 50C at rest.

Here are some aquamark results:
    (default) Test:
    1024x768x32, noAA, 4xAniso, high detail

365 GPU/730 DDR: GFX 6279, CPU 5551, 40102, FPS 40.10
    (results from defaults of 350/700 nearly identical to above test... now with the hardmodding!)
    + extra vertex processor: GFX 6324, CPU 5522, 40218, FPS 40.22
    + 4 extra pipelines: GFX 6453, CPU 5550, 40804, FPS 40.80

(you can see the rest of my hardware stats through my profile, but it shouldn't matter much in these tests)

Not the most scientific of tests, but there was a statistical increase in performance! This is awesome! Unwired... you allowed us to do in a few mouse clicks, what some guys attempt to do with a soldering iron (and inevitably destroyed their cards)! If I were female I'd have your unborn children. Thanks!

EDIT: tested some other games really quick, Klingon Academy, Half-life (with Natural Selection Multiplayer), Morrowind, and saw no visible distortions, even with 8S AA enabled. I should try something more intense like BF1942 at some point, but aquamark is pretty intense as it is and would have caught malfunctioning features. If somebody else has Doom3 and a BFG NU, that would be a true test of stability.

EDIT2: Oh, and I'm using the latest 66.93 driver. It seems reverse-compatible with rivatuner, even though it gives a warning when you launch it. Don't be scared of the new driver!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2004
  14. Webwiper

Webwiper Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Extreme X850XT @ PE with Artic ATI Silencer 5
    I own a POV Geforce 6800GT ... it doens't overclock all that well, so I was wondering if I could make things easier by flashing the bios ... For my previous card (5900xt), there were a lot of modded biosses available, for this 6800 GT I can't seem to find one ... Plz help me out here ...

I can clock up to 401/1100 but then my card gets very warm, nevertheless one of these days my nv5 silencer will arive :D

Kind regards
    Web Wiper

15. Ferromancer

Ferromancer Guest

Why flash your BIOS? If you can't softmod it, just hardmod it, and see what happens. Isn't that the whole point of Rivatuner?

16. Webwiper

Webwiper Master Guru

GPU:
    What do you mean by soft- and hardmodding ... all I know is oc'ing and bios-flashing (to adjust voltage to the gpu) ?

Explain plse :D

Kind regard
    Web Wiper

17. Ferromancer

Ferromancer Guest

Errr... have you been reading this thread at all? That *is* the title of this thread: "softmodding boom continues. Ability to enable hardware masked units with RC15.2!". The instructions to hard-mod are in the *first* post.

Though I recommend you try to softmod first.

To see if your 6800 is softmoddable:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105221
    FULL instructions on how to softmod:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105181
    And finally, the instructions to hardmod if softmod fails:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=108104

To make a long story short, if you can get soft/hard mod to work, it gives *far* more performance benefit than any GPU overclocking ever could.

Now go RTFM silly-face!:p

18. Webwiper

Webwiper Master Guru

GPU:
    Thx a million ...

Yes, I do deserve a spanking for not reading the whole thread :O

Kind regards
    Web Wiper

19. Lagu

Lagu New Member

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800 (all pipes open)
    Another Leadtek A400 successfully converted to 16x1, 6vp

20. vonschtupp

vonschtupp Guest

I have a Leadtek A400 TDH converted to 16x1, 6 vp with no artifacts. Went from a 3DMark03 score of approximately 8700 pre-softmod to 9700 or so post mod. Now to start OC'ing a bit.

von

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2004