NV4x softmodding boom continues. Ability to enable hardware masked units with RC15.2!

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Unwinder, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Subtestube

Subtestube Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GV-N68128DH 6800 NU
    The Guy who made Rivatuner is Unwinder.

If 3dMark doesn't give you artifacts, it probably never will. What you actually want to do is test other intensive programs like:
    A Source Engine Game (if one is available)
    Doom 3
    Far Cry
    RTHDRIBL
    And anything else that you can think of that's shader intensive. I guess shadermark could be pretty good too.

2. BubbaHoTep

BubbaHoTep Guest

Great ,ok .. thanks Unwinder!

Well I either got lucky or BFG just makes some great cards ..in two days I have benched the following:

Stock 9240
    16 pipes stock 10083
    16 pipes/351/828 10711
    16 pipes 380/828 10996

Ive yet to see any artifacts of any kind so I am not going to push my luck.

The core of 350 vs 380 did'nt do much..the bumped ram speed on the other hand did alot.

This OCing kind of makes me wish I spent the extra on a 6800 GT...which I still can go that route if I wanted to.

3. Old Painless

Old Painless Guest

I just wanted to propose Unwinder for next years Nobel prize..
    I unlocked my Asus V9999GE to 16/6 without problems and it reaches 430/1200 without as much as a hickup.
    In 3DMARK05 I reach 5156p which isn't bad with a crappy P4 2,4B.
    Thank you Mr Unwinder, I bow down before you..... :)

4. Subtestube

Subtestube Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GV-N68128DH 6800 NU
    Old Painless: You're obviously overclocking that CPU. Are you using anything other than the standard Intel heatsink?

5. Old Painless

Old Painless Guest

Nope just using the Intel standard. I used to have a DD Maze3 block on it and could reach 3GHz, but I have given up water cooling now. Running it at 2,8 keeps it nice and stable.

6. Quatre

Quatre New Member

Bah, I couldn't get my eVGA 6800NU card to work properly with the 4 extra pixel-pipelines enabled. I got black snow in 3DMark05. I tried increasing the voltage to 1.4, but the coolbits test failed...so I figured there's probably no way of making it work. Increasing the voltage to 1.4 did make my overclocking capabilities much better, though. But it got too hot for the stock cooler so I had to turn it back down to 1.2. Time to buy an NV Silencer 5! :D

7. BubbaHoTep

BubbaHoTep Guest

8. iansmith

iansmith Guest

BFG 6800 OC.

Enabled all 16 pipes and all 6 vp's. Runs great, no artifacting.

Overclocking is not so good, 375/725 is as fast as it goes without artifacts (I only get them in the nVidia Nalu 6800 demo and can do 390/730 before the OC test fails). Bumped the voltage to 1.4 with no improvement other than more heat.

Is there an automated program to check for rendering errors? Staring at a video benchmark gets old after a while.

--
    P4 2.8 @ 3.4 ; 1GB PC4000 ; DFI 875ProB

9. baroudan

baroudan Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS 1950 XTX
    i own before a gigabyte 5900 xt and reach only 988 with 3d mark 05, and i buy a asus V9999 128 TD, 16x1 and 6 works fine with 410/810 and scored 3985 with same 3d mark 05 settings, what a change... abd 3050 with 12x1 and 5, so i'm very happy with this card

10. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    Welcome to the *6800* Brotherhood ! ;)

11. DotCom

DotCom Guest

I've got today a sample of a bulk MSI 6800LE (which has a Quadro Fx nVidia logo in the cooler).
    I've tried the RT 15.2, and used NVStrap to enable hardware masked units.
    The RT succefully showed the activation of all hardware masked units and gave me the magic A1,16x1,6vp; But then again, it seems that things are as Unwinder guessed: some or even all of the hard masked units are damaged.
    I'll keep trying to locate which are or aren't, but I'm not really expecting a great deal of this sample.
    By the way, there has been a change in RT's graphics subsystem diagnostic report -> NVIDIA VGA BIOS information -> GPU units mask: none?

12. NVguy

NVguy Active Member

GPU:
    BFG NVIDIA GeForce 6800 128MB
    Same here. I have been wondering why it reports none.
    I have a BFG 6800 nu OC. I tried unlocking the pipes today with rivatuner. It was successful. But when I ran one of the nvidia demos, there were purple streaks, and that is an example of an artifact right? But when I disabled the pipes back to original, the streaks were gone.

13. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    yes, you have damaged pipe(s). try just leaving the vertex pipe enabled it might be fine.

14. NVguy

NVguy Active Member

GPU:
    thx. But do I have to start worrying that its damaged? There are no artifacts when I disabled the pipes and returned it to its original settings.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
  15. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    yes i would say one or more are indeed damaged. the reason you dont see artifacts when you dissable them is be cause they're *dissabled* not in use anymore. now you need to figure out which one is damaged, the pixel quad or the vertex. enable just one at a time to see which it is. the pixel and vertex pipes might both be damaged, but i dought it ...

16. NVguy

NVguy Active Member

GPU:
    alright, ill do that. thanks.

17. auggie dog

auggie dog Member Guru

GPU:
    2x Evga GTX 670 FTW
    i dont see any artifacts in 3dmark03 but in 05 i get sparkles all over anything square or black .They arent bad but they are there and in far cry sometimes the leaves have these speckles.But thats the only time i see any .Its my pipe thats messed up not vertex shader but the pipe aint to bad its worth the little specks for the performance increase.And 97% of the time no artifacts at all.

18. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    Are you by any chance overclocking the graphic card memory? Those sparkles can be result of that.

19. Locutus13

Locutus13 Guest

I am not sure what you mean with sparkles ... I'd call my "things" artifacts ... See for yourself:

[​IMG]

So far 3D-Mark05 is absolutely the only thing that shows the artifacts - Everything else I tried so far doesnt have them.

The card is not overclocked. Lowering the speed of GPU and RAM below factory defaults doesnt remove those artifacts.

BTW: with all new NVIDIA non-WHQL Drivers above Ver 66.11 I dont have the small black squares, but the polygon that has them now flashes between completely black and no artifacts.

This "bug" was already present before I opened the masked bits, so I guess it is some kind of incompatibility with the drivers. Also with the WHQL drivers and the ASUS drivers I can only access PixelShader 2.x ... with the BETA drivers it defaults to PixelShader 3 but it produces the bug.

20. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    NVIDIA driver quality is pretty sucky lately. I hope they are not going to repeat former ATI's driver mistakes... :thumbdown