Nv4_disp display driver has stopped working normally.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Crazygamer66, Aug 24, 2008.

1. BrainDedd

BrainDedd Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1070 OC
    What most people seem to forget that this thread started with the display driver not responding in XP. Which is infinitely more annoying than in Vista since XP can't just restart the drivers and forces you to reboot. Has happened to me with my GTX260 for ANY drivers greater than 177.41. Changed everything else in my system, unclocked, reclocked, did timings everything. Nothing fixes it besides going back to 177.41.

2. BoudahXL

BoudahXL Member

GPU:
    GTX295 BFG
    If I set my memory below 2.3 volts I get the error msg it can take between 45mins up to 3-5 hours.

If I set my memory at exactly 2.3 volts I never get the error.

I tested this with 2x1GB OCZ SLI certified memory and with 2x2GB Kingston HyperX memory.

Same results.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  3. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    180.43 drivers are pretty crashy from what I can tell. 178.24 are much better, I haven't spotted texture problems with them in FC2 and Fallout 3 runs much better. I was previously using 177.92 and had no problems with them, but I thought I'd try some new drivers and wacked on the 180.43 set with the new PhysX driver (8.10.13). I'd suggest using an older driver until the bugs in the new series are ironed out.

Don't forget to run DriverSweeper in Safe Mode after removing your nvidia driver, before rebooting to normal mode and installing another one.

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I was having this same problem until I reformatted and went back to 175.19. That corrected the issue. Kind of absurd that the drivers are causing this kind of a problem though.

5. BrainDedd

BrainDedd Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1070 OC
    I wish I could go back to 175.19 ... unfortunately with a GTX260 the minimum drivers are 177.xx

6. Joeflyer

Joeflyer Member

GPU:
    EvGA 8800GT 512MB Supercl
    I had this issue with the 8800GT when I set the AA at 16 through Nhancer and tried running the res. at 1680. The display driver would stop functioning properly. So, I run it at 8 AA with 1680 res. No problem for a long time now. AF is set at 16.

7. BrainDedd

BrainDedd Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1070 OC
    After a whole weekend of trying stuff, I found my problem.
    It was a fix I enabled on my XP for my old Athlon processor before I upgraded twice that was breaking things. Removed it and now all is well.
    I believe it is called the LargePageMinimum tweak. Also removed my IOPageLockLimit tweak.

8. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    ok, hy guys,
    im getting same issue, with oc or without.
    but only in fallout 3.
    everything else is fine..

dont no why...gonna try the 180.43 driver...hopefully they better then my whql 17x.24 or so^???

greetz^^

9. RiffHard

RiffHard New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTS 450 1 GB
    Same here. I have never overclocked my graphics card. I have a GeForce 9800GT and I'm having problems with Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway and Colin McRae DiRT. When the problems started, I had 180.42 drivers installed, I re-installed 178.24 but nothing changed. Then I tried some other older drivers (incl. modded ones) but still no luck. Now I have 178.24 installed again. Sometimes I can play for five minutes, sometimes ten but no more. Crashes are more frequent while playing DiRT. I even re-installed the games but still the same old song and dance. The card itself is pretty new, I bought it about two months ago. Other games seem to run properly. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  10. Kridian

Kridian Member

GPU:
    GTX 680 2GB
    RiffHard, have you tried running MemTest84 on your Ram? Reason I'm asking is I went through a similar problem as you and then decided to turn my attention to my memory. Turned out I had a stick that came up with errors so I pulled the pair out and now I'm back in business.

My current problem: I can't run any driver installer without this popping up, "...\Temp\WZSE0.TMP\nvDispS.dl_:BadCRC".

Aren't bad CRCs something to do with your Firewall corrupting downloads?

----

Thanks AnthraxPants. I'll try that.

----

Yep, it worked. Thanks for the info!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008

11. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    Kridian - Try cleaning out your temp folder.

1. Reboot your PC and then open 'Run' from the start menu.
    2. Type in "%temp%" (without the quotes) and your temp folder will open.
    3. Delete all the files in the Temp folder

Sometimes internet security programs like firewall can corrupt downloads. Which firewall are you running?

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    The only time I ever get that error is if I overclock my video card too much and let it heat up. The solution for me has always been to turn it down by a few MHz.

13. InFecTeD®

InFecTeD® New Member

GPU:
    Asus GeForce 8800GTS 640m
    I had the exact same problem with my pc! I had these blue screens and reboots. Try running Prime95 Blend test and that see if your pc crashes after some time.
    I't did that to me and I increased the voltage of the ram in bios for about 0.05 volts and everything worked out fine.
    That was my case anyways, see if it works out for u.

14. RiffHard

RiffHard New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTS 450 1 GB
    I don't know much about these things... What is this MemTest84? Google didn't give me any reasonable answers.

15. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)

16. Malak

Malak Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Ati 4870 X2 2gb
    Not sure where you get the facts that you are unable to run both onboard sound and external sound. That is just wrong. I run my onboard sound chip for use with ventrillo because it seems vista 64-bit simply refuses to recognize my mice with the X-FI I use for all other sounds. Nothing wrong with doing that.

However, I do have similar problems the OP has.. Regurly get vista display driver crashes where it has stopped responding, tries to reset the driver, seems to do that in an endless loop until it sometimes BSOD's.... Note: this is explicitely display driver related. Only 1 of the latest 6 nVIDIA vista drivers DIDN'T give me these problems but unfortunately I forget which one.

But nVIDIA drivers and vista 64-bit and the eVGA 8800GTX ACS3 do definitely not go well together..

Others specs: P5K, Q600 quad, 4gig, x-fi extrememusic, eVGA 8800 GTX ACS3.. OCZ GameXtream 850W.

17. Joshoh

Joshoh New Member

GPU:
    nVidia Gforce 9500GT 1Gb
    I might be able to help. I have the smae problem

I am not exzactly sure when this started happening, i am thinking about 3 months agao. i am an EverQuest2 guy i dont care much for wow but i noticed when it went crazy(Bright Purple, White, Blue and every other color there is.) it tended to happen more frequently if i had my game at the highest settings. i just got my machine a little bit agao(4 months), and it should be able to run it just fine.

Processor: AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core 2.5
    Video Card: nVidia Gforce 9500GT 1Gb series
    Ram: 2x 1Gb Coassiar or how ever u spell that brand.
    PSU: 600 Watt.
    Hard Drive: 500Gb
    Motherboard: not sure off the top of my head.. its 12:30pm right now and i dont wanna look but its a MSI something.
    BIG ASS HEAT SINK. realy quiet. no temp monitor but its realy big keeps it realy cool and i have a **** ton of fans.

To be perfictly honest, i have no idia if my motherboard has an onboard Video Card.ill be playing a game depending on how high the settings are withen 20 mins of playing EQ an it will go nutts.i have even have noticed GuildWars will do it and just as frequently as EQ and guild wars has next to nothing for requirements. i play COD4 and on max graphics and i can play all day with no problems. ( RPGs tend to do it). befor i got my new comp i was running a 5200 gforce card and i would notic that i couldent play COD4 with it witch is expected. but if i poped in my 7300 it would run COD4 and as soon as i would try to play an RPG it would Reboot the whole PC. i am thinking it has something to do with the fact that RPGs take up a **** ton of RAM.... i only have 2Gb in my PC and i running a pretty high card.. and i have noticed that the higer the setting the faster it ****s up. and i dont realy run my games low but i think if i did it might not at all.i think its that the card is running all the setting at max quality and the ram cant keep up. i notic if i turn my graphics all the way up in EQ2 i can play for about 5 mins Lagg free. after the 5 min i tend to turn them down realy low. allmost right after(10-15)mins. it goes crazy.i noticed u are running a high card as well and have the exzact same ram as me. i think we need to up grade to more ram and or lower the setting on our video cards. i honestly just thought of this as i typed it to u because i hade put all of the facts in front of me . well thanks for posting this i am allmost possitive thats the problem and i never would have thought of it with out u posting this.thanks Josh.

PS. i am allmost POSSITIVE this will work.. i got a good feeling . i just need to dig up 50-60 bucks realy fast and buy somemore RAM. send me an emails address if u have any questions u think i can answer.

thanks agan,
    josh

18. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    I don't think RAM is the problem, more likely it is something else like overheating. Your graphics card works harder with higher settings and produces more heat. RAM problems would show up with any type of settings. Corsair RAM is pretty good quality and usually NV4_disp errors and corrupted graphics point to the graphics card overheating or graphics drivers. I suspect drivers seeing as the problem was replicated with different cards for one user, but don't rule out overheating. If you take the side panel off of your case and the situation improves then you know you have inadequate airflow passing through the case.

When you uninstall a graphics driver you should always reboot into Safe Mode and use DriverSweeper to clean any left over Nvidia Display files. Once DriverSweeper has done its job you can reboot Windows normally and install the new Nvidia driver. It does take a little extra time but it eliminates probably 95% of graphics related problems.

Graphics corruption can occur when the memory on the video card overheats. Even with very good heatsinks, in a lot of situations the VRAM chips are not as well cooled as the GPU. Without adequate airflow drawn in through fans at the front of the case and sometimes the side of the case, then continuing to be removed by decent fans at the rear or possibly also the top of the case, the internal system air can become very warm and drastically reduce the effectiveness of heatsinks. If airflow is not the problem then it is likely to be a driver problem, or possibly an inadequate PSU, and in rare cases a defective card.

It may also be a good idea to check for updates for your motherboards chipset drivers and BIOS. Sometimes a BIOS update can fix problems like incorrect memory timings, introduce support for new products, correct system instability and sometimes expose new settings that were not included with previous versions.

If you still have problems update all your device drivers and DirectX to the latest versions and consider running a registry cleaner like CCleaner.

One last thing, sometimes uninstalling and reinstalling a game can fix the problem. If other games run fine, then sometimes it can just be a case of corrupt or missing files in that particular game's installation folder. Don't forget to backup your game saves if you decide to do this.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  19. Storm_Trooper

Storm_Trooper New Member

GPU:
    Asus Geforce 9800gt 512mb
    Hello...

My friend has this problem and has asked me to fix his pc,
    after reading all the posts and not finding a solution to the original post (and now my friends problem) i've signed up to give my two cents...

Situation: friend bought pc at cash converters (go figure, the guy that owned the pc probably had this prob that couldn't be fixed so he sold it) was having problems after playing 4 different RTS games (medieval 2, command and conquer etc...) tried to tell me the problem... took home, started his games and ran for a few hours straight, ran fine for 2 hours then started to crash the game back to windows, kept reloading game (this happened about 5 times) then finally the game went black screen with error described by original poster, and the screen went out to windows showing 4 bit color, error said to restart to fix... did and fixed, but seeing how this has been happening more than once, its not a coincedence...

friend is running a 2.1ghz intel cpu, 2 gig ram, xp, 9800gt 512mb, 550 wat psu...

Tests I have performed:
    -reinstall of windows
    -updated all drivers
    -ran passmark burnintest on cpu,ram,video... passed
    -cleaned up the interior of pc... (was a mess, person who built it should be shot,e.g. live wires, coiled sata cable, dust, fans on backwards drawing heat back into the box...)
    -have placed his card inside my pc (see specs on left) we have the same card... i have more intense graphics games (burnout paradise, cod 4 & 5, hawx, graw2) played so far a few hours online with cod4 no probs...

Diagnosis:
    so far i am pointing this problem towards degredation of the mother board with no way to fix it besides replacement or returning to company... my father has a pc repair business i have worked with/for him for years... seen alot of weird and wonderful problems...

Pin point the problem:
    to narrow this down further - i think (in my oppinion) it has to do with the motherboards pci-express slot (its a graphics issue as indicated by error message, but the card works fine) or the buffer for the slot (as i said earlier the game crashes more frequently as the game goes on and then fails altogether... sounds like a build up) its not heat, most hardware now have sensors that will warn and take precautions in to much heat, that and i fixed the cooling issues...

Solution:

there have been no sure fire solutions to this problem yet, still in the final testing stages
    after i've finished testing his card, will replace M/B... then report back...

hope this helps in narrowing down

20. HellSpawn2097

HellSpawn2097 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX4080 S
    Sry to bring this old thread back up, but I got same problem as mentioned before.Happens by my knowledge only when playing GT Legends.Freezes , sound loops,HUD and shadows disappear.Then the sound quits and the computer crashes to desktop, showing something like 8-bit textures @ resolution of 640x480.I have to hard-reboot the computer and manually set my sound settings again(X-Fi XtremeMusic).

I came from forceware 182.50, whereas previous WHQL drivers gave BSOD's:
    -Updated sounds drivers, updated forceware to 185.85.
    -During install forceware 158.85 computer loses lots of running processess, including driver install, weird thing is, driver works flawlessly.
    -Rebooted computer, ran GTL again, no crashes so far.

I ran memtest to found if BSOD's with previous drivers where the fault of bad memory.
    After several hours, no faults were discovered.

CPU is overclocked to 3GHZ with more than decent cooler and airflow for a timespan wich is longer than the GTX295 sits in the system.Previous setup where two HD4870CF'ed, no OC.Never ever had problems like this before.

It would be a shame if this new card would be already faulty as initial driver install with forceware 182.08 gave no errors what so ever for like a month and a half.

Only thing updated during this timespan is Windows intself.