NV Silencer5 not that great.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by MaXThReAT, Apr 15, 2005.

1. MaXThReAT

MaXThReAT Guest

I got my NV Silencer5 rev2 about 4 month ago. I was having major temp issue and the silencer brought them down a lot.
    But now just 4 months later the fan is making a horrid noise. Yes I have 9 other fans flowing air though so its getting a little dust in there but every single other fan is fine.
    I found out you don't really RMA a silencer. You take the silencer back to the store you got it from. They will order parts from Arctic-cooling and the dealer will repair it. I called micro center and they are just going to replace it for me. I think it's pretty weak that 4 months of use and this thing is shot. My load temp goes up about 10c when it making noise and the vibration slows the fan. I think I got mine for like $30. I wouldn't mind paying up to 50 as long as they get a good fan on there. O well, now I need to uninstall get some new AS5 and put the new one back on. GRRRR.

2. VAs0ulja

VAs0ulja Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800 OC 128mb @ 370/745 (16x1,6
    Wow glad to see you posting that. Because i was about to buy one, and i mean i still want one, and more than likely going to get it, but it makes me think twice. I just hope mine doesnt go out in a measly 4 months, i have 3x 80mm fans, and 1x 120mm fan. But i doubt it will catch as much dust as yours. Although i would like to bring down my temps, because summer is almost here and i like where im at now. Idleing at 44-45 C, (with stock) but when i put my other case door on, not the side you can get to and see evreything from, but on the other side where you cant get to or see anything, it shoots up to like 48C just at idleing, and during games im running at like 51-55C which i dont like seeing cause in some games like source it will run ackward and lockup and freeze sometimes. When i dont have the door on i get 47-48C in games, which runs perfect, and hoping when i get my NV5 it'll be around 40C idle and no more than 45C during games.

3. dakotase

dakotase Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X850XT PCI-E/NV5 Silencer
    Now you've got me worried. I've had mine on a month and so far so good. You probably just got a bad one.
    Good Luck!

4. MaXThReAT

MaXThReAT Guest

I hope I just got a bad one. Not many options for replacment HSF on the 6800's. Looking at the NVS5 It's not full of dust and the HS is almost void of hair and dust. I'm glad I get it replaced but I don't want to do this every 4 months. When I first installed it, it almost sprayed out oil from the fan, may have been the cause. I'm getting the new one tomarrow and post an update if it also sprays oil.

5. chobro

chobro Guest

dude dont waste ur time with a nv5 get a zalman vf700-cu for like 40 bucks. i run 48c idle and like 60 load. im alos oc'd to 425/1200 on my 6800gt thx to it

6. Evil-Taco

Evil-Taco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtec nVidia 6800 GT Pci-Express
    Does that zalman cooler have a switch or something? I read it has a silent mode and a normal mode...

7. Vanadis

Vanadis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    No, it has different power cables. 2 for silent mode and 2 for normal mode.

8. MaXThReAT

MaXThReAT Guest

I would get the zalman vf700-cu but I don't like the little heat sinks for the ram. As far as I know you have to glue the heat sinks on the ram chips. A bit too permanent for me. If something did happen to the card I would never be able to return it. Anyhow, I called Micro Center and they have one left. They are just going to replace it for me. I'm also going to pick up a filter for most of my incoming air. That should help keep the new one cleaner. I did some testing today also. I booted the comp and the NV silencer fan started making the noise. I ran a softshadow demo to bring up the temp and it hit 72c. I then opened the case and tapped on the fan a little to get the noise to stop and the temp slowly dropped down to 67c. So it's not only making noise but the vibration is slowing the fan or the flow of air. GRRR. This thing is out of here. I hope someone makes a new fan cooler for the 6800 series soon.

9. x8diesel

x8diesel Member

GPU:
    PointOfView 6800Ultra 256MB 460/1210Mhz
    48 idle and 60 full load on a GT??? :eek:
    I have the NVS5 rev.2 it doesn't split oils (!) no noise
    and the best, got my 6800ULTRA (not GT)
    at 46idle and 56-57 full load running DOOM3 for 3 hours with high quality @ 1280x1024!!!
    Also OCed it @ 460/1260!!! :p

10. MaXThReAT

MaXThReAT Guest

How long have you had that on there diesel? And what other case fans do you have?

11. pman6

pman6 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 9800GT SLI 1GB DDR3
    I've had my NV5 (rev. 1) for @ the same time as you and my fan is making noise when it starts up cold for a few minutes, and then the noise stops. I just ordered the NV5 Rev. 2, it looks like the HSF will sit on the GPU better (flatter) due to the new design not having a height offset where it contacts the memory. Look on newegg's site at the pictures and you will se what I mean. I'll let you know how it works, I should have it by the end of this week!:)

12. tommcd64

tommcd64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Quadfire 2 4870 X2's
    You probably got a bad one. I have had mine for several months now with no problems. I am running at 43C idle and 54C load at 400/800 on my unlocked 6800 OC with voltmod.

13. MaXThReAT

MaXThReAT Guest

Well.....What a friggen trip. Okay so I took off the NV silencer and took it back to micro center. I had called and they said they had one left in stock. So I show up and they DON"T HAVE ONE. I was ready to kill. The woman in customer service gave me a hell of time because it was older than 90days. I had to take them to Arctic’s web site and show them their RMA process. After about 20min they give me my money back. So I called every single computer store in Colorado and not a single store has it but micro-center. So after the huge fit I threw I went back in and asked to un-return it. The same woman was there and kinda joked, she new she shouldn't have given in. So they bought it back. So I got it home and took the entire thing apart. I cleaned every inch of that thing with isopropyl alcohol and q-tips. Re-installed it and it made the same noise. It did stop after my system warmed up though and hasn't done it again. My idle is down 5c to 54c. So I know there was a good amount of gunk in it or I just installed it better this time.
    Anyhow after that I installed 3 40mm fans in a 5.25 bay to bring me up to a total of 12 case fans. 8x80 1-blower 3x40 And that’s not counting the 92mm Tornado beast or the silencer. The 3 40mm fans are filtered so I'm hoping it doesn’t get clogged as fast this time but boy do I have a vacuum for a computer.

14. x8diesel

x8diesel Member

GPU:
    PointOfView 6800Ultra 256MB 460/1210Mhz
    About 1 month, I have a CM Stacker case with 2 fans/front 1/rear 1/top 3/back a total of 7 fans (3 of them are 120mm and the rest 4 80mm)

15. pengful

pengful Master Guru

GPU:
    Elsa Gladiac A660GT 128 Mb@600/1200 (**80.40HD)
    With all these fans, don't you guys find them noisy?

I have 1x90 (front intake), 1x80 (top blowhole) and 1x90 (rear exhaust) and 1x80 hole-no fan on the side panel and I find it quite loud already.