NV CP Response time?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MaXThReAT, Jun 4, 2016.

1. MaXThReAT

MaXThReAT Master Guru

GPU:
    970-G1 SOC 1.5Ghz/8.2Ghz
    So I've got a question about a rather annoying issue and I wanted to find out if this is normal behavior or if something may be wrong and fixable.

When I open the NV CP to change a global profile setting it opens rather quickly but is totally unresponsive for up to a minute. Further clicks makes the window go grey and then show Not Responding.

This has been going on for quite some time, over a year and I've become used to it but it's really annoying. I've used DDU and the drivers are up to date. It happened with older drivers as well. Running W7 and I don't install GF experience. I've noticed while waiting for it to respond my external drive lights up and other drives are being accessed too. I have four hard drives I use with games spread across all of them. I imagine the wait may be due to the CP refreshing the list of games but I'm not sure.

I can't remember the last time this didn't happen. I'm on my third video card for this OS install and I wonder if a fresh install may be in order. OS install is at least 4-5 years old.

So is this normal behavior? Any ideas about what might be causing it or ways to speed it up?

2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 XC Ultra
    Yeah, I get that too. I assume everyone does. And I assume it's because it's as you say, the profiles are being scanned for games you have.

Best solution is to avoid using NVCP for game profile management and use Inspector. NV Inspector is pretty much instant.

3. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    That's normal.

4. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    I really hope some day nvidia will overhaul their drivers, at least the UI, like AMD.

5. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000

I think it's the fact you are on a mechanical drive? I get the same delay when opening cpanel, but it's nowhere near a minute, nor does it stop being responsive. it's at most a 5 second delay. here is what it's like for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPqEONO6Ozs&feature=youtu.be

This a 1 year old win10 upgrade install from a 3 year old win7 install so I doubt it has anything to do with the OS installation.

6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 XC Ultra
    I think what he is referring to is Windows will tell you the program is unresponsive if you try to interact with it during those 5 seconds. Clicking the close button seems to trigger that more often.
    It doesn't make a difference though, it will load even if Windows claims it's not responding.

Honestly, I find the game auto-search function to be utterly pointless. NV Inspector's keyword search is far more functional, rather then sifting though your games.
    And if I do find myself using NVCP, using the Add button and choosing from the recently used programs (even you already made a profile) ends up being faster and more convenient. Even better for a novice.

But whatever, it's not a big deal. Thus why "MaXThReAT" is the only one making a thread. Still though, wouldn't mind a 'fix'.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    SSD here and I get the hang too, but it doesn't open quickly then hang, it hangs before loading the 3D Settings screen, once it's loaded once, I can switch back and forth between it and another setting and it opens fine straight away

And if I forget and leave it on the 3D Settings page, next time I open NVCP it takes much longer to open the UI

8. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Yep, NVCP is slow as hell, like others have said NV Inspector is a nice alternative.

9. MaXThReAT

MaXThReAT Master Guru

GPU:
    970-G1 SOC 1.5Ghz/8.2Ghz
    Well thank you for the replies, pretty much what I expected. I was hopping there would be some way to turn off the auto search but o well. I guess I'll go ahead and use NV inspector. I hadn't updated it in a while and just noticed they've added a shortcut directly to the nvidiaProfileInspector so that's nice.

10. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960M
    On my HDD I had it freeze everytime I open it for like 15 seconds but now on the SSD its pretty fast but still has a hiccup when changing tabs.

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I'm using a 256 GB Crucial m4 SSD for Windows 10 Pro and I find the NVIDIA control panel applet will freeze and become unresponsive for around 15-20 seconds. However, I do have a lot of custom profiles and over 600 games installed. Kind of annoying that it's so sluggish in 2016 but at least it only occurs once per boot.

12. adrock311

adrock311 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb

its normal. For some strange reason the nvidia driver programmers have made the choice to make the driver scan your entire system for new games every time you open that tab. if you don't want to wait, uncheck the option. Then you will have to manually sort through a list of every single game in existence, though.

13. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Normal. And annoying as ****.

14. Xploder

Xploder Member

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX1080 A8G
    Really curious about as to when Nvidia is going to drop their 2001 XP-style Panel and integrate everything into GFE.

15. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SLI

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    I tried this at friends yesterday, gtx760. There is a lag 3-5sec changing any settings in NCP. I dont remember this was the case when i last time had an nvidia card. Opening was also slow.

Crimson is instant, crimson is faster and looks better. :p

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  17. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2114/4350
    If you uncheck "show only programs found on this computer" it should load a bit faster.

18. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I just tried several variants of opening it and it opens pretty fast here - 8 seconds if I'm closing on 3D settings, 5 seconds on other sections. Never had it hang for as long as I can remember.

NVInspector Profiles is opening a bit faster - 5 seconds from start to end of loading.

Both aren't something which I'd call slow although they should definitely look into improving this.

19. adrock311

adrock311 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    my suggestion to the driver team was put an option to scan the computer manually button next to the uncheck, so that it never scans on control panel opening, but still filters out games well.

20. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    that would be great. just like the GFE game scan feature.