1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

number of times a processor can be inserted on a socket?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by W@w@Y, Feb 10, 2011.

1. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    Guys, I was reading through intel LGA1366 specs and found this

Any thoughts on this?

here is the full pdf

ftp://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/320834.pdf

also, anyone smart enough to identify what the CPU pads on the extreme left of the top-left quadrants are based on the LGA1366 map? thanks

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  2. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    which are you specifically referring to? This document is rather long.

deltatux

3. IchimA

IchimA Master Guru

GPU:
    G1 1070
    this is Fukkk .. so average cleaning and change of thermal is one time at 4 - 6 months ... => 15 * 4 = 60 months /12 = 5 years ... By that time you would have changed this procesor 1 - 2 times ... Not a big problem ... but still a problem as intel is trying to force a change of procc once a year as I see it ... with all the soket changes and all

4. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    the LGA1366 mapping, there is a LGA1366 contact pad drawing and there is a long list and I just want to know what the CPU pads on the upper left edge are for :)

Reason being is that last week I had this problem with my RAM being detected by BIOS and Windows as 4Gb instead of 6. I fixed it by removing the CPU and when I checked the bottom the pins on the location Im talking about had some discoloration. Cleaning it up and reseating the CPU fixed the RAM detection issue for me so I just want to know what the affected CPU pads are for :)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011

5. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    hmmm... just scanning thru it, not sure ... maybe if i can find the time, ill look @ it more

deltatux

6. GandraZz

GandraZz Master Guru

GPU:
    555m 2GB 665/1330 FHD
    can cpu be press to much?
    Because yesterday i got my Prolimatech Megahalems, i screwed screws to the end my pc didn't boot only spining fans and electric crackle, after reseating cpu and loosen screws everything was ok.

7. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    ^^ apparently it can be an issue on x58 CPU/boards :)

8. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    thanks :) reason Im interested to know that are is because of this

reason I was interested is because of this

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

no burn marks on the pins though, just the discoloration above which I was able to clean with a a microfibre cloth

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

9. johnny87au

johnny87au Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 480's / Wc'd ek
    Ive removed mine about 60 times no issue, i think its more the pressure from the IHS your using, nothing to do with replacing the cpu mate..

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    If your thermal paste has to be reapplied enough such that this is an issue...you need to find a higher quality thermal paste.

11. Deathspank

Deathspank Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    are the pins and contact pads made of copper? copper discolours over time when in contact with the air. if you can see some blue'ish coloured bands on the pins that would be a problem because it means there getting very hot.

12. johnny87au

johnny87au Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 480's / Wc'd ek
    yes copper and contact with air no.. I've had a old 775 socket for years and i've reseated it several times due to installing different pots/ air coolers etc etc

13. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung

why the hell do you touch your system every 4-6months? if its running dont touch it. this is a simple rule that saved alot of systems from beeing destroyed :)

once my cpu is seated and my cooler is mounted i dont touch it unless i realy need to make a change because the temps dont suite me or because i make an upgrade.

14. Imglidinhere

Imglidinhere Master Guru

GPU:
    4GB Nvidia GTX 960M
    You're talking to someone who had the money to buy a 980x. Pretty sure what you're saying is jibberish to said person.

I replaced my TIM every so often but that's been put on hold for a little while. :D

15. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    no its not jibberish - why should it be? and i dont know who you are talking about. it doesnt matter what cpu you have. if you dont plan on upgrading it, you dont just unmount everything and replace the thermal paste every 4-6months

16. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Reapply thermal paste every 4-6 months? Last week was the first time in 2 years I reapplied any thermal paste and that is only because I bought a new cooler.

Seems a little silly to me. Unless you have temperature problems but if you have to reapply paste that often you probably aren't doing something correctly.

17. johnny87au

johnny87au Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 480's / Wc'd ek
    People with bench setups will take apart there system every few weeks even months.. depending on which hardware there testing or reviewing..:)

18. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:

ppl who do this profesionaly will jump to new platforms everytime they come around. so its not even a big problem for those either.

and even then its not exactly understandable how the socket would have a problem with reseating the cpu

19. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    Didnt see blue-ish bands but I was able to remove it with eraser and microfibre cloth though. If it were the bluish bands, that would be harder to remove right?

20. johnny87au

johnny87au Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 480's / Wc'd ek
    I have a bench setup and change waterblocks, motherboards new cpu's every now and then without changing to a new socket.. So the socket problem isnt a issue imo..