Nothing new but the 6800 GT is Bada**

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Bluedog, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Bluedog

Bluedog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX TF 2GD5/OC
    Sometimes it's just hard to grasp the power difference between my 6800GT and the previous 5900nu I was using. For example @ 1280X1024 in Unreal Tournament 2004|AA 2xQ|AF 16X|Highest Quality Image|In game max everything and Onslaught Levels average 60 ~ 95 fps. Before my 5900nu @ 1024X768 at those settings above less the AF on 4X and image on Quality would get between 30 ~ 45 fps.

It now seems that a lot of members here and other Forums have found ways to make the 6800 purchase when looking @ the rig specs. No wonder nVidia's Stock Price rose this quarter.

2. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    U simply cannot mess with the 6800GT it is the best card of this generation for the money in my book. A truly great card. :)

3. Marley

Marley Don José Cuervo

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 275 GTS
    I sure hope so mine will be here tomorrow. I am so excited

4. Tai pei

Tai pei Member

GPU:
    Gainward Nvidia 8800 GTS 320MB
    Yup excellent card :D

5. abula

abula Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti
    I also agree with you guys that this is by far one of the best releases Nvidia has made, performace/value, OC incredible, runs all games really well.

I just dont know why I didnt get a big pump in FPS in SOF2 being a OGL and using an old engine, dont know why I didnt see that much improvement. Maybe are the drivers, who knows.......

6. Matta

Matta Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 9800+ GTX SLI
    Maybe in sof2 your cpu is your bottleneck. I am saying this with very little assurance as it cannot be the answer but you never know. Since SOF2 is a old game and everything

7. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    Yup... i was surprised by the way it performed, even though ive read the reviews and stuff... :D

8. Templ

Templ Guest

I went from 5900u to a 6800gt.
    At first i thought i made a mistake, because 5900u is still a good card. But after i installed farcry and doom 3 i was shocked. The performace was just so much better.
    Can't wait to see what the next generation of cards from ATI and Nvidia will bring. :)

9. andy_nv

andy_nv Member

GPU:
    Leadtek GeForce 6800 @400/900
    The 6800 nu is not half bad either :)

10. Bluedog

Bluedog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX TF 2GD5/OC
    One thing that is bewildering is the cost difference there was between the 5900 and 5950 for such a small performance gain. But a 5900 to 6800, yea well worth the price if you ask me.

11. Low-Light1984

Low-Light1984 Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY GeForce 6800 GT
    Bluedog, i need your help, how did you get 52xx for 3dmark05, i mean my processor isnt THAT out dated is it? im only getting 3890 or something, not breaking 4k, can anyone help me?

12. Bluedog

Bluedog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX TF 2GD5/OC
    Which driver are you using? I used the 66.51 but I think the 66.70 or .81's are suppose to do better that that.

13. Low-Light1984

Low-Light1984 Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY GeForce 6800 GT
    im using 61.77 official and i have them unlocked with coolbits2, but i didnt tweak anything, no over clock, nothing

14. JRd1st

JRd1st Guest

You have to OC a 6800GT to break 5000 in 3dmark05. I would install the 66.81 whql drivers, reinstall coolbits, and use the Detect Optimal Frequencies tab to start your oc'ing. See what happens.

15. formula72

formula72 Member Guru

GPU:
    (SLI )eVGA GTX980 Ti
    I Temporarily oc'ed mine to Ultra speeds to get what i have below.

Recently, I just started playing Farcry w/ the new Patch 1.3. All I have to say is "WOW" . I have finished farcry over 6 times, and started playing Doom 3 a few months back. I heard about the new patch w/ SM3.0 and decided "what the hell" . Installed patch, loaded the game and was blowen away by the Graphics. I mean, SM3.0 is so nice to see, you have to play the game to understand. I love my 6800GT. Folk's, Fry's just had a sale on a 6800 for $250. Now thats a deal for the Next Generation GPU on the market.

By the way, Im not easily impressed when it comes to games. But farcry has taken on such a new look, it's impossible not to want to play it through again w/ SM3.0 enabled. If you can afford a new Video card or in the market for one, I strongly suggest the 6800 series.

God these are great cards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice job Nvidia!!!!

16. Nodus

Nodus Guest

Bada** card, but im going to get some watercooling so i can get cooler temps and higher OC without doing voltmod or flash bios.

Currently with NV5 & AS5:
    idle:48C
    load:58C

MAX overclock:425/1120 with artifacts
    :415/1120 stable

17. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    I wanna get an NV5 but I dont wanna tamper with my card. LOL Ive have the BFG cooling solution which isnt too great. Gets up to 78'c load! So far I got 11,100's with stock speeds (370/1002) and do you thing my score will increase significantly if I OC? Bah, what the heck, just want smoother games... :D

18. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Imo, scores achieved with artifacts are not "stable" and shouldnt be considered valid as no-one in their right mind would game with artifacts and its putting the card at risk. All my scores are artifact free and the moment I do see even the slightest glimpse of an artifact I hit escape to be safe.

Personal preference I guess.

Back on topic...

Which is actually better the BFG 6800GT OC or the Gainward 6800GT Golden Sample (or Golden Sample GLH)? Just out of interest, I know both are storming cards. :)

19. abula

abula Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti
    My opinion is baised as im a Gainward owner, but this card is incredible for the money, it has the best cooling solution for OC. The only downside is noise, I could hear the card two rooms back. Still the noise is not that uncomfortable as it isnt hight pitch.

20. Scief

Scief Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 6800GT @Ultra
    Golden Samples are nice, but way more expensive.