Notebook Graphic Card Replaceable?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Pollame, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Pollame

Pollame New Member

GPU:
    ATI 3470HD
    I have a notebook HP pavillion dv5 1115-el.
    I guess my graphic card just cooked, it works for a few minutes
    then crashes with every OS i have.
    At the next restart the crash is faster.

Wondering if the graphic card can be the issue and if it's replaceable (internal/external?),
    with one i'll buy (the PC is out of warranty).

Ty for ur assistance :banana:

2. orion24

orion24 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1254/1703
    What is it that makes you suspect the video card?
    I suggest you try the hardware monitor utility and check your CPU temperature: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

If the laptop is old, dust might be on the CPU heatsink and decrease the cooling efficiewncy

3. bobkn

bobkn Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970 3GB
    I believe that most laptops have their graphics controllers soldered to their motherboards.

There is an exception: MXM cards.

Your laptop is supposed to have a mobile Radeon 3450 controller. Apparently the 3450 exists as an MXM card. I have no idea whether your controller is such a card or not. I'd bet (not more than 5¢) that yours isn't MXM.

The suggestion to blow the dust out of the heatsinks is good.

If the motherboard is failing, I hope that the repair/replacement cost is acceptable.

4. Pollame

Pollame New Member

GPU:
    ATI 3470HD
    Well, i'm not sure, but the screen (with external monitor also) goes vertical stripes (like jellow and gray) without shutting down, or
    sometime goes completely red, then green, blue etc at regular lapses for few seconds then shut down.

In my laptop the overheating issue (which is regularly happening in summer), just freezes the screen,
    while i'm still able to see opened windows, desktop and mouse icon, just all frozen (no shut down).

Btw another information is that i have crashes also starting (windows) in safe mode..shouldt it turn off the graphic card (i mean not use it?)?

Looking for it, i found the manual in PDF: Dv5-el series Manual. Nowhere in the manual there's a word about MXM, naither 'Graphic card relacement', so i guess u can bet on it!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012

5. Pollame

Pollame New Member

GPU:
    ATI 3470HD
    Edit: (double post)

Update:
    I tore it apart, and I found no MXM card, just the integrated one. I cleaned the fan assembly and put fresh thermal compund on the CPU, GPU and Northbridge chip, then closed it up.
    It worked fine for 1 hour, then it crashed, and now it's shutting down every 10 seconds or less :/

Have anyone had the same issue? Can it be a BIOS battery problem (just trying to guess)?
    Should i have replaced also the Thermal pads (which where over the GPU and the northbridge chip)?

Ty guys

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012