Normal sli 2 temps?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by j_blaze, Oct 7, 2006.

1. j_blaze

j_blaze Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 7900gt KO 512mb@700/800 SLI
    I check my gpu temps on everest, one card is between 10 and 20 degrees cooler than the other, is that normal or do I need to adjust my cooler? The higher of the two temps (77c or so) is about the same as a single card.

2. compunut

compunut Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 7900GT SLI
    well it might be because there isnt much airflow for the other hotter card
    so try to arrange and group all the cables such that both cards have good airflow or just stick another fan in ur case
    good luck

3. S_Kinton

S_Kinton Ancient Guru

GPU:
    512mb 8800GT & 22" Samsung LCD
    In my experience my cards only vary in temperature by about 1-4 celcius. Right now they're at 50c and 47c.

It sounds like one of your cards is getting much better airflow that the other

4. j_blaze

j_blaze Master Guru

GPU:
    I hav an 80mm fan in the window blowig in at both cards. the wierd thing is the card with the most room is the warmer one. Temps at load are gpu1 77c gpu2 44c. I used arctic silver 5 on both gpu's and the rams. Could it be that one card is workig harder than the other? Does it matter which card I plug the monitors into, right now it is hoocked up to the warmer card. Gonna get a pic today if I can find the camara.

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    card 1 56c card 2 51 c idle. i have a 120 mm blowing across them. the heat rises from card 2 which adds to the heat of card 1

6. j_blaze

j_blaze Master Guru

GPU:
    Right, but the bottom card is the warmer one. Up to about 60c they stay pretty close 60 and 56, then when 3d kicks in the top card drops to almost idle temps, 77 and 46. Yes, SLI is enabled and both cards are identical, the serial numbers are off by about 80 cards.

P.S.: These temps are only using RTHDRIBL program so
    I can monitor with Everest. Only had sli about a week.

7. j_blaze

j_blaze Master Guru

GPU:
    I misspoke, the top card gpu1 is the warmer one, this last time top card 77, bottom 46. The bottom card is also the newer one. Shoul I try and swap them?

8. Spectacle

Spectacle Banned

GPU:
    X1950XTX Crossfired 780/2280
    If you are getting a temp difference of that much, there is definately something a miss. Try re-seating the cooler, maybe it's not making good contact with the core. Also you could have applied too much thermal paste. You only need a drop about the size of a grain of rice.

9. j_blaze

j_blaze Master Guru

GPU:
    The problem is no that the top card is too hot, its that the bottom one is so cold, almost like its not doing anything, I reseated both yesterday and the coolers are on tight as possible. 74-78c was my average temps when I had one card on full load. I just want to find out why the other card is taking a break.:bigsmile:

10. j_blaze

j_blaze Master Guru

GPU:
    I swapped out the cards and temps are the same. Does the rthdribl program use full sli?

11. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    I water cool but the temps between my cards still show 3c difference with the top card being warmer?