Normal G-Sync behavior ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by SyntaX, Sep 10, 2017.

1. SyntaX

SyntaX Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1500/8000
    I have G-Sync enabled, but when i start a Game/App where i have disabled G-Sync over Profile Game Settings, G-Sync is disabled like it should.
    Next when i start something with G-Sync enabled in Game Profile Settings i have tearing, Driver Overlay says G-Sync is On, but it isnt.
    I have to go to Driver G-Sync Settings, re-enable G-Sync again, then i have G-Sync working again.
    Why is G-Sync not activated automatically ?
    I can only deactivate G-Sync over Game Profile Setting but not back on.
    This behavior is not Driver releated, it was always that way.

Is this a Bug or normal ?

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Enable vsync for those games and that set a fps limit 2 below your refresh rate.

It is normal to get some tearing in gsync when vsync is off

3. SyntaX

SyntaX Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1500/8000
    you havent understand what i want.
    I know how g-sync works, this ist not the problem.

the problem is that when i want disabled g-sync for specific games/apps over profilesettings its working, g-sync deactives.
    but then it wont activate again when i start something that is configurated with g-sync enabled.

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Yes, I've noticed the same issue too although on my monitor I can tell when G-SYNC is off because the power light is white instead of red.

I suspect this is a bug as I don't see why the profiles would allow per-game G-SYNC settings otherwise, i.e. if playing a game with G-SYNC disabled breaks it for other games that don't have it disabled then it makes the setting, if not, pointless then certainly cumbersome if you have to disable then re-enable G-SYNC from the NVIDIA control panel after playing a game that disabled G-SYNC.

I only came across this issue by mistake when I was playing around with the per-game settings and testing how games felt with normal v-sync at 165 Hz vs. G-SYNC at 165 Hz. It isn't a big issue for me because I've yet to come across a single game that doesn't work with G-SYNC. As such I just have G-SYNC enabled in the global profile with V-Sync enabled and for each game, where possible, I just disable the in-game v-sync option. So far, my monitor's power light has remained red (G-SYNC on)!

I would report the issue to NVIDIA as I'm pretty sure this is not the intended behaviour for G-SYNC when disabled on a per-game basis. IMO, the NVIDIA control panel should be reactivating G-SYNC upon exiting any game that disables G-SYNC via its per-game profile as that is what the global setting is for as far as I understand it.

5. gdallsk

gdallsk Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE
    Use Nvidia Inspector instead, never had any luck with the control panel myself, but this works perfectly if you want to change some settings per game.

6. SyntaX

SyntaX Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1500/8000
    @Darren Hudson
    Thanks for understanding and confirmation, that its a bug. I will send it to Nvidia.

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    What makes you think that gsync is disabled?
    Stuttery? Or do you see tearing?

As I said, Gsync will have tearing unless VSync is set On.

Regardless, why would you want a single game to have gsync off?

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Double post delete.

9. SyntaX

SyntaX Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1500/8000
    @Agent-A01
    Yes, tearing because G-Sync is not working anymore.
    I know that you must set up V-Sync on in Settings for G-Sync, but in this Situation it is not working like it should.

There are Windows Apps with Videostreaming that have Problemes with G-Sync on. Nvidia is aware of this Problem, but nobody knows when its fixed.
    So this is a good workaround for this. After using this Apps i have to manually reenable G-Sync, because Profile Settings with "G-Sync on" is ignored.

10. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x970,Gsync,3DVsn2
    Having tearing with Gsync on and Vsync OFF is NOT right, you don't have to enable vsync for G to work...if it happens it's a gub/issue with driver/game. For example in the Division on 1.6.1 they confirmed there was a bug in their code which they've fixed in 1.7 (if I remember correctly). Many years now having Gsync I don't have enabled Vsync ingame/control panel (though I always use a fps limiter to suit my needs).

Don't know why you say that G needs V for syncing..

11. mikev190

mikev190 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti AMP! Extreme
    I've just noticed this on my monitor! Thanks

12. archie123

archie123 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    Im not sure its correct you will get tearing with gsync on and vsync off unless your fps goes over your monitors refresh rate , if your refresh rate is dynamically linked to your fps how can there be any double frames displayed? Ive never noticed any tearing and i never enable vsync.

13. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Guys ... Please read G-Sync 101 articles before assuming how G-Sync really works - this has been repeated a million times already:
    http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101/
    http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-range/
    http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag/
    http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-fps-limiter-howto/

G-Sync only works within the minimum and maximum FPS range. When you exceed to the maximum FPS (e.g. 144FPS @ 144Hz G-Sync), or, rather, go below the minimum frametime (1/144 s), frames render faster than the G-Sync monitor can refresh and you get tearing.

When you're near that limit, apparently still within the range (e.g. 142FPS @ 144Hz), not even the most accurate frame limiter could ensure a frametime that does not exceed 1/144 s. So, the G-Sync monitor is unable to refresh that fast and you get tearing. Turning V-Sync on does not do what you assume it does, that is, enable V-Sync (since you're not actually running 144FPS @ 144Hz). V-Sync, in this case, enables frametime compensation which delays the frame slightly so it aligns perfectly with the monitor's refresh. This does incur slightly more latency than simply displaying the torn frame, however it represents the lowest latency possible with frames that are displayed aligned perfectly with the monitor's refresh. However, with frametimes higher than 1/144 s, frames are de-facto aligned with the monitor's refresh since the latter waits for the frame to finish rendering before it starts refreshing (with a delay on the order of nanoseconds based on the pixel clock).

The optimal solutions for these scenarios are discussed in the articles.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  14. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I can confirm this as I played a game with G-SYNC disabled (Monitor Technology setting = Fixed Refresh) in its per-game profile and my monitor's power LED went from red to white, indicating that G-SYNC was disabled. The only problem was that G-SYNC did not re-activate on exiting the game or even running another game which had Monitor Technology set to G-SYNC via its per-game profile as the monitor's LED light remained white. It did so even after a restart and I had to disable and re-enable G-SYNC in the NVIDIA control panel to get it working again (monitor light being red). I also confirmed this wasn't just a glitch with the monitor's power LED by enabling the G-SYNC indicator/overlay from the NVIDIA control panel which confirmed that white is, indeed, G-SYNC off and red is G-YNC on.

It doesn't matter why someone would want to turn G-SYNC off for a single game; the fact remains that the profiles allow for G-SYNC to be enabled or disabled on a per-game basis but it doesn't appear to work properly. By default, the per-game profile's Monitor Technology setting uses the global default, which should be G-SYNC obviously, but if you play a game with its per-game Monitor Technology = Fixed Refresh then another with that setting = Use global profile (G-SYNC) then G-SYNC does not work because it does not re-activate. Seems to be a bug in my opinion.

15. SyntaX

SyntaX Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1500/8000
    I found the Problem.
    When you use Nvidia Control Panel and chose in an Profile "Fixed Refreshrate" then G-Sync is off, but does not activates anymore.
    When you use Nvidia Profile Inspector and chose for G-Sync "Disallow" then G-Sync is off, but activates when starting something with G-Sync allowed.
    Looks like its a Bug in Nvidia Control Panel, because you cant chose "Disallow" there, only "Fixed Refreshrate"

archie123 likes this.

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Maybe not a bug. nv inspector just exposes way more options.

17. SyntaX

SyntaX Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1500/8000
    When its not a Bug why is G-Sync not working anymore ? The selectable Option to enable G-Sync has no function, so you mean that is how it should be ?
    NV Inspector uses build in Driver Options, it does not invent new Options.

18. jorimt

jorimt Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
    I can confirm per-profile G-SYNC/ULMB settings produce unpredictable and buggy behavior with Nvidia Control Panel. Those Nvidia Inspector settings @SyntaX mentioned are currently the only workaround.

I didn't note any of this in my series, because I was documenting base "G-SYNC functionality," not "G-SYNC malfunction-ality."

More users simply need to report this issue directly to Nvidia until they get the hint.

If you must have per-profile control, use Nvidia Inspector. Otherwise, until they fix this, I highly recommend manual global operation of the G-SYNC settings to ensure intended G-SYNC behavior.