Nord VPN was hacked 9 months ago.

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by anticupidon, Oct 30, 2019.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
  2. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Oof, that's not good.

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    What was the most infuriating was that they acted like nothing really happened, and when more and more questions were asked, they made a statement 9 months after the breach.
    Now, if we would use only the services or products/platforms who weren't hacked, we would be offline ages ago.
    The point is the be open about and treat the customer's trust like a professional.
    But this?

4. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    NordVPN & Equifax - hiring the same contractors since forever...probably used the same PR firm too :rolleyes:

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Here is a wild idea:
    Being safe online and privacy sells if offered a product.
    If a 3 letter agency just creates the product, the company and throws in the advertisement, but accessing the logs and the DNS requests, you are visible to them and you just got swindled.
    Security comes in layers, and for each layer you need to put some trust in a software or company.

6. Gabriele Coulson

Gabriele Coulson Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1060
    I kind of understand why they didn't disclose the breach right away - if they did then every wannabee hacker would jump at the opportunity and try to exploit it while it wasn't properly patched or secured. They took their time to be certain and I see nothing wrong with that.
    Also, it's fairly odd how this blew up all around the internet - everyone saw this as an opportunity to write their own clickbait article about a well established brand. Personally, I think this one is fairly unbiased and informative https://restoreprivacy.com/nordvpn-hack/ (I swear this is not self-promotion). Because if you look into TechCrunch (who wrote the first piece) and their parent company Verizon then you'll notice that they have a vpn of their own. Coincidence? I think not.

7. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ❤ MESA 19.2
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019 at 3:50 PM
  8. Sabbath

Sabbath Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
    Yes this is bad as i have been using Nordvpn for the past 3 years. And i've notice serve 2904 (the only one) gives the i am not a robot thing (you know whit i mean.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019 at 9:39 PM