Noob question - Sony Vaio Recovery Partition

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by mw8t, Feb 7, 2011.

1. mw8t

mw8t Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX660Ti 2GB SC
    I have bought a Sony Vaio VGN-FW21E off ebay.

It has arrived but has no discs with it.

It is running Vista Home Premium 32bit but I want to upgrade it to Vista Ultimate 64bit using a spare OEM copy that I already have.

I understand the laptop has a recovery partition which I am able to access by hitting F10 during startup. I've tested it and it works.

My question is if I do a clean install of Vista x64 (boot from disc) will this delete the recovery partition?

I want to be able to restore the laptop to the pre-loaded Vista and factory settings if I decide to sell it on. If the clean install doesn't delete the recovery partition, is it just a case of hitting F10 and it will restore itself back to Vista 32bit without the need for a Vista 32bit disc? The bottom of the laptop has the Vista 32bit product key sticker btw.

I hope I make sense. First laptop lol :kermit:

2. SorienOR

SorienOR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    The recovery partition might show up when you do the install, just don't delete it. If it does not show up then no worry.

As far as booting to the recovery partition later, it depends on how sony does it and I'm not sure. If it uses a modified boot sector, then the trigger key will no longer work. Usually the way I get around that is I use a partition software to force the recovery partition active (instead of the o/s partition) and then it boots to that by default.

You could always call up sony and order a recovery disk set, might set you back $20 or so but will solve the problem for sure.

3. mw8t

mw8t Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX660Ti 2GB SC
    Nice one. Thanks for reply. I can make recovery discs before I do the fresh install so I shall do that just in case.