Noob here: I would like to record TV on PC

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Googie, May 31, 2006.

1. Googie

Googie Master Guru

GPU:
    [1] XFX 6870 HD @955/1100
    Can I do it with my cards in profile if not what would I need thxs?

2. Toji

Toji Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800 GT 256MB
    No you can't.

You need a TV tuner. Hauppages WinTV and ATI's TV Wonder series are some of the best TV Tuners in the market. WinTV and ATI TV Wonder USB 2.0 are the easiest installed and will work on practialy any PC with a USB port (USB 2.0 required for high quality video capture).

Note: ATI TV wonder does not have a GPU, it uses whatever GPU you got.
    TV wonder worked great with my Geforce 6800GT.

Both comes with software which alows you to do very basic video capturing.

To save space I recomend when you get good at it, that you download the Xvid codec (similar to Divix but 100% free). Just google xvid to get multiple places to download it.

When you get really good, you will find free apps such as virtual dub and TMPGEnc an absolute must (Must pay to have Mpeg 2 support, but if you only use Mpeg 1 and Xvid it's free) to make professional quality TV ripps.

3. KoncreteAngel

KoncreteAngel Master Guru

GPU:
    1800xt 512mb
    Poster above doesnt know what he is talking about.

If your card has vivo, you can run a tv video cable into the card.(use svideo) Then you take a red/white audio cable with a 3.5mm plug and run it into your sound card.(you can buy them for 3 bucks at walmart)

You can use windows movie maker and record from there using the option capture video.

I have tivo'd alot of programs and put them on my computer.

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    IF your card has VIVO then you can use a EXTERNAL tuner such as a VCR, run the output of the VCR (RCA) to the input of your Video Card. This is a easy way to do it. You have to connect cable to the VCR -for tuning, I hope this makes sense. If you need clarification post back..