Non-GCN Crimson and OpenCL

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by windrunnerxj, May 13, 2016.

1. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060
    GO TO SOLUTION

It's been quite some time since non-GCN Crimson drivers release so I'm wondering, is there any working fix for the broken GPU OpenCL on these drivers? Tried searching the forum and did a bit of googling but couldn't find an answer. Maybe DLL swap or something?
    Win10 x64.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  2. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    what program exactly is not working? just curious so i can check my laptop

3. Scure

Scure Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6870 1GB
    GPU acceleration not works with Adobe Premiere Pro.

4. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060
    OpenCL doesn't work anywhere, it's just broken. GPU-Z shows no OpenCL support for GPU as well as GPUCaps. Known issue with non-GCN Crimson, at least on 5xxx-6xxx cards. AMD knew about this bug at least since Dec 2015 and when someone asked about it last month on their forums (why OpenCL still doesn't work and will there ever be a fix), their response was:
    I like AMD but this is a dick move. Yeah, I know it's a legacy card, but OpenCL is an essential part of the card that suddenly stopped working because AMD says it's "legacy now".

I've tried swapping a couple of DLLs (amdocl* and opencl.dll) in system32/syswow64 folder from the 15.11.1beta driver but it didn't work (GPU-Z crashed at OCL detection and GPUcaps say no OCL detected). Maybe I swapped the wrong ones or not all DLLs.

Latest drivers with working OpenCL on these cards are 15.7.1WHQL or 15.11.1beta.

Last edited: May 15, 2016

5. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    well at least you can get by with the older ones for now....is the Crimson really a huge benefit for the 6000 series cards?

6. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    I'd say given the right DLL's and swapping them to the previous working ones should work either that or just stick to the last working drivers 15.7.1WHQL or 15.11.1Beta whichever works for you sometimes newer isn't always better

7. Spectrobozo

Spectrobozo Guest

GPU:
    8600GT
    not really, it's just a new control panel and some removed features...
    (I think they removed OpenCL and HDCP support)

I'm just using 15.1.1 beta on my Radeons.

8. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    As for swaping dll's it will work 100%
    Follow this step:

Install driver with working OCL -> then go to SysWOW64 and Win32 copy those files into safe HDD
    Then install Crimson then copy the files to coresponding folders -> restart
    I have do this trick months ago when i manage to run OGL 4.5 on my 280X

9. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060
    Finally made OpenCL work with Crimson drivers. For some reason you also need two additional DLL files: atiumd6a.dll (system32) and atiumdva.dll (syswow64)
    I have no idea why these two files are necessary for OpenCL since those are, as far as I know, related to the DXVA.

I've got all those from 15.11.1beta drivers and I use Windows 10 x64. Haven't tested it with the older drivers.
    How to do it:
    1. Uninstall previous drivers with DDU.
    2. Install 15.11.1beta if you don't have all the necessary files listed below.
    3. Backup these files to another folder.
    4. Uninstall 15.11.1beta with DDU.
    5. Install latest Crimson drivers. Reboot straight into safe mode (you won't be able to replace atiumd6a and atiumdva without safemode).
    6. Replace the files.
    7. Normal boot.

Full list of files you need to make OpenCL work with Crimson:

system32
    syswow64
    You can extract them manually or download from GoogleDrive (files from 15.11.1beta Win10 x64)

From what I can tell OpenCL and DXVA seem to work fine. However the "Video" tab in the Crimson panel stops working. I've never used "video" panel even in CCC so personally I don't care about it. Maybe there's another workaround to make OpenCL work without those two additional DLLs but I was unable to find it.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  10. Darr

Darr Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Armor OC
    The crimson opencl drivers are not broken, it is not a bug. These new drivers use the new opencl 2.0 software that will not work on the HD5xxx and HD6xxx series gpus. You will have to stay with an older driver, use the trick above to replace the opencl with an older version, or upgrade to a newer graphics card.

11. mirh

mirh Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI HD 7750 1GB
    Yes, it's a bug not to bake profiles for older gpus, with not even the slightest remark.
    OpenCL 2.0 was already in the driver since a year before Crimson, what they changed instead is the AMD-APP build branch.

You can just install user1's repack and live happily.