Nokia Lumia 520 or Samsung Galaxy S Advance

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by xtremegamer, Aug 4, 2013.

1. xtremegamer

xtremegamer Guest

Hi

Which one is better, Nokia Lumia 520(Price 175$) or Samsung Galaxy S Advance(price230$)

i knw Lumia 520 comes with Windows 8 OS and Samsung have updated to Jellybean, have anyone used Windows phone 8, is it stable than Android wat about apps and Performance.....

2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Stock Samsung ROM? Stable? Fast? :nerd: I can guarantee that 520 is way more stable and runs everything much smoother. The thing with cheap androids is that they are laggy, compatibility with apps is poor (or they run like ****). You only get the best experience with the über pricey devices. Galaxy S Advance also has nova thor soc which AFAIK has really bad custom rom support.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  3. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Agreed with Anarion. Should you wish to go for an Android device, go with a high end one.

Otherwise the Nokia Lumia 520 is a great price and performance will be better than a low end Android.

4. jack_rudolph

jack_rudolph Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 460 1GB
    I'm using Lumia 800 here...... Evereything is good except lack of quality apps in the windows store.... Also if you intend to use messenger apps like whatsapp then go with android, Windows version is horrible.

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

If the uptake of Windows Phones increase, the quality and number of the apps will increase. It's a supply and demand thing. You have to face the fact though that many of the apps that are of any use you have to buy regardless of which platform you are on.

The advantage with the Windows Phone system is that the ROM, the OS, and the manufacturer features for the phone are all separate components. With Android devices, the it's up to the manufacturer to update the OS, something which they won't typically do with the lower end devices since it needs to be done on a per-phone basis. With Windows Phone, you get a free update to Windows Phone 8.1 when it comes out, through the Windows store. If there is a Windows Phone 8.2, that update will most likely be free too. It's also possible that an update to Windows Phone 9 is possible (but may cost a small fee, probably around $10-$12), remembering Windows Phone system isn't like paying for an upgrade on a computer. By that stage though, you will probably be looking for a new phone anyway! Note though that Windows Phone 7 wasn't updateable to Windows Phone 8, but that was due to a architecture change. Such limitations won't be a factor in the Windows 8.x range and most likely to Windows Phone 9 either.

The Nokia features also get updated separately, and there is no waiting for a new ROM for if and when it gets updated. The only thing that Nokia has to worry about is updating the ROM (essentially updating the bios), something which is significantly easier to do with Windows Phone devices, so you are pretty much set for updates :).

6. xtremegamer

xtremegamer Guest

so u guys are saying Lumia 520 is better than low end Android, someone told me tat i cannot Transfer files via Bluetooth to Another device(eg: Android) and wat abt application support like, Music player,video Player i think Lumia 520 doesnot have EQ function on their player....

7. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Your referring to options and customization. If that's what your looking for then forget buying any Windows Phone. Most apps require payment, don't expect free downloads!

As for transferring files and using bluetooth, forget using Windows Phone as this is another restriction. You can only send and receive to the same operating system.

You will not be able to share files from an Android device, Nokia Symbian, Blackberry, etc...

8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I don't know for sure if it has EQ or not but my Lumia 920 has system wide EQ. Also VLC player is coming to W8, W RT and WP8 though it may take a while. But what about music and video player?

You can share music, video and pictures through Bluetooth and obviously receive them too. Above statement is incorrect.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  9. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I previously had the HTC Titan II which had Windows Mobile 7. It was unable to send or receive bluetooth transfers from another phone. Has the latest Windows 8 or 9 changed in this regard?

Sharing definately was a no go on the older Windows Phone 7 which is why I sold the phone one week after buying it! Too restrictive for my liking.

10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/basics/share-files-over-bluetooth
    Just tested with my Lumia 920 and Galaxy S. Send music from lumia to GS, worked fine. Also other way around (though I'm not 100% sure if it will save the music file but it will play it as long as you have it open, pictures and videos should go directly to picture hub). But I do hope a pray that they add file manager in the future. I assume it's one of those things that is not there because they run out of time.

Rather handy looking file manager (or viewer):
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/pocket-file-manager/56dd9c3d-fe0a-4ceb-84b0-043e58e55b19

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013

11. xtremegamer

xtremegamer Guest

Hi Guys

I have researched a littlebit on Lumia 520 there are some really basic missing features :(

No Eq settings, Ringer Volume and Music Player Volume is Combined, No Adobe Flash support, No file manager and So on im really Confused guys....:(

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The Lumia 520 is meant to be both a phone that is excellent at doing standard stuff, but not with the added cost of all the simple extras. The 620 and 720 and 'more complete' if you like, but they are also older models with older tech. The 520 is probably 'better' overall than the 620 at the moment.

There is a very large update on its way for the Lumia 520 (and other Windows Phones), known as Windows Phone 8 GDR2. Nokia has also bundled a major firmware and other updates with this, so not sure if after this update whether it will include some of those missing features. The update isn't widely available yet. The good thing is, a future update, GDR3, and then later Windows 8.1 Phone and it's GDR releases, will all be available for the phone... assuming your carrier wants to deal with that for a then old model in say, a year and a half's time.

In terms of Adobe Flash, can still use Youtube etc, so all good lol.

13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Adobe flash is irrelevant on mobile devices now.