Nokia claims virtually all Apple devices violate its patents

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    ? A Nokia N900 is $600 here without a contract, which is like the same as the iPhone, then again Nokia is a Finnish company, maybe you guys get discounts.

2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It's 'bout the same cost as iPhone but you get better hardware for same money and you are not tied to one or two year contract. I actually thought that I wrote "better value" there... but somehow I didn't :D. I edited my previous post a bit.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I truly hope Apple loses this fight...and not because I don't like Apple. Steve Jobs has some really screwed up ethics. It's fine for Apple to force software on consumers, like Safari for example, but it's wrong for MS to provide IE free of charge. MS made the browser market free....if not for them, we'd all be paying for browsers like the days prior when Netscape was $20+ a copy.

The operating systems being different has nothing to do with it. Both can be installed on "Apple" hardware...But only Windows can be installed on custom built PCs. So, in a comparison, that's 1 strike against OSX....

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah I guess that's true. I dropped the iPhone because of AT&T and their horrible network. For the longest time I had Verizon, when my contract was up I figured I'd try the iPhone and switched, worst mistake ever - AT&T is a disaster. Soon as the Droid launched I switched back. The Droid has some pretty annoying bugs, but overall it's definitely an awesome phone. I still think the iPhone had a better, more well rounded interface, but whatever.

I haven't actually came in physical contact with a N900 yet, so I can't comment on it really.

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I have used N900 quite a bit, I personally have N80. It's really promising device and future software updates will make it even better, after all Maemo's phone functionality is rather new and some it's somewhat lacking in that department.

Android is a developing fast but I personally don't like what they did with Dalvik. That just slows things down and isn't optimal for battery usage. Multitasking in Android is a bit weird and not really multitasking, they should do something about that. I have only messed with Android SDK, though.

6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The Iphone still is even running a lot better then most touch screen phones that were suppose to compete with it. Take for example, the Instinct series from Samsung.

The first instinct had a lot of problems, as well as a very slow user interface. The browsing on the first instinct was terrible, and unlike the Iphone, it's not app friendly at all. It was suppose to be the Iphone killer, but didn't have a real multi touch screen like the Iphone has, the Iphone has a full browser(But no flash support like the Instinct), and youtube works great on it. Where as with the Instinct, it's decent. Apple still supports even the first Iphones, where as Samsung and Sprint dropped the first Instinct, and also now dropped the S30. Which now we get onto that version of the Instinct, the s30. The S30 is actually slower than the first instinct, but is more optimized and doesn't have as many problems. The browser is decent, but compared to Safari on the Iphone, it's still nothing. Then comes the Instinct Q, which is the Moment. The Moment is an android phone, and might be able to compete better than it's previous series because of this fact. And now, there is the Instinct HD. Which, is an alright phone, it's faster than both the Instinct and the S30, but no competition with the Iphone at all. The Iphone also has the accelerametor, and also has a major software support over the Instinct computer side. Itunes anyone?

One big thing that the Iphone has over all of the phones I listed, it has wifi. Another big thing, the Iphone has a bigger screen, and is a lot more durable then the Instinct series, and also the Moment. I'll quote Denial from his earlier post, since it's 100% true.
    Nobody has come close to the status of the Iphone. LG didn't with the Voyager, or Envy touch, Samsung didn't with the moment, Nokia didn't because most Iphones were sold in the States, and there is no market for unlocked phones in the States here. The only real phone that sells as much as the Iphone does or has, 2 phones. The Blackberry Curve 8330, or the Motorola v3 razr. A phone in the same class of the iphone that sold decently, probably the G1 or the Droid.

Biggest problem I have with the Iphone, it's on AT&T. AT&T has no towers in north east Ohio, or a lot in the Michigan area. I mean, even in Dundee Michigan, I pulled a Rogers signal when I had an Iphone which is a Canadian service.

Lets also talk about price on the Iphone. Iphones started off at $300, but with that you bought the phone, then used it on service. Where as now, you get a huge discount because you're in contract with the Iphone and AT&T. $100 for the 3g, and $200 for the 3GS. The Droid is $200, and there are other phones out there that retail for more after a discount for a 2 year contract.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  7. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    My m8 got a 16GB (14GB real) iphone yesterday and we were testing it out. Unfortunately for him, he's got no credit card so can't download anything because he can't sign-up for itunes. Whats worse is that connecting it to the pc, one of the most basic windows functions "drag n drop" doesn't work. This means he can't even put his own pictures onto the phone. Fail.

He's sending it back.

8. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Mate the iPhone hasn't got those issues.

If he's too retarded to make an Apple ID, and learn how to do those BASIC things, he shouldn't even be using a computer.

Half the comments in here, are so mis-guided, so false, and so just full of sh!t that my IQ is dropping with each and every post I read.

If you people believe that about Apple, or the iPhone, or any other company for that fact. You're even more retarded than I give you credit for.

Surprised half of you have the braincells to even continue breathing.

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    No need to snap, mate. ;) For me the lack of proper file manage, multitasking, FM radio, bluetooth file sharing, proper camera (settings) and poor screen resolution are enough not to even think about getting one. I'm sure there's other things too that would keep me away from it too. If you are happy with your phone, then be happy with it. It is not for everyone.

10. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Lack of File Manager I will give you.

Multitasking isn't a problem.
    And WHO THE HELL LISTENS TO THE RADIO? I mean seriously. It's not 1990.
    BlueTooth File sharing I will give you.
    Proper Camera, meh, quite honestly, I've never seen a good camera in any phone, even 8Mp ones look like absolute crap.
    Poor screen resolution? Hahahahahahahaa. Oh sorry. Let me get my breath. Hahahahahaha, have you seen the screen on the iPhone, it's beautiful compared to other phones out there.

11. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The screen resolution on the Iphone isn't all that big, but compared to other phones, it's great.

But then there are phones that tower over it with resolution, the droid at 854 x 480.

12. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    True, there are high around.

But at what cost? More power requirements because it's a higher resolution, more powerful screen, more powerful GPU to run it things like that.

To be honest, I'm not sure you'd want anything bigger in a phone. It's not a laptop here. It's a phone. It's only there for phone calls, messaging and some light play. And the iPhone does that pretty damn good.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The Droid's battery life is about the same as the iPhone, despite it being a bigger screen, plus OLED screens are supposed to be even better in the power area. But yeah, I personally find the iPhone's screen to be fine though, the Droid overall is a bit bigger but it also feels about fine, anything larger would definitely be annoying. So that entire range to me is just good with both phones.

Also I agree with your flipout post, it's pretty clear that some of the people posting with random issues they've found with the phone have no idea what they're talking about. But then again I also feel like 99.99% of this forum, being a PC Gaming one, just try to bash Apple every chance the get, regardless to whether they've ever even tried using an Apple product or not.

Anyway, yeah lack of radio to me isn't that big of a deal breaker. I don't have one on my Droid anyway. Bluetooth file sharing I also couldn't care less about. Multitasking is kind of big to me, on my Droid I often find that I'm running two apps at once like my map applications map and my superpages directory or whatever. Proper Camera, I don't really see what's wrong with the iPhone camera, the Droid's is actually worse for still pictures, IMO, but better for video, supposedly they are revamping the camera for the new iPhone anyway. As for a File Manager, whatever, they have them for Droid but I don't really bother.

14. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Well Finch, me and my m8 came to the same verdict; iphone = really nice hardware, no problems there, but, shame about the software and being tied to itunes. He's going back to his win mobile phone.

Having now seen it, played with it and knowing it's limitations I wouldn't buy one. No file transfers onto the phone (at all!) is the deal breaker. You can't even put an mp3 on the iphone. Sad, but, true. Safari is ok and the iphone offers the best mobile internet I've yet seen.

15. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    You can put mp3's on it fine.

iTunes really is a good piece of software, it takes longer to load than other pieces of software, but by no means is it the worst.

I transfer things across it fine, mp3's, movies I have to convert, but that's fine, doesn't take long.
    I can buy Music, games, Audio Books, Video, TV Shows straight off the iTunes store, and it transfers straight over to my phone if I want it.

File transfers is a little irritating, but it's not terrible, I always have a flash drive with me at all times anyway. Bluetooth sharing is a pain, and I wish they'd open it up a little more so I can transfer photos and ringtones etc.

But for the most part, they're REALLY minor things. It's still way ahead of most phones out there. And half the people I know who have owned Android phones have hated it, and have ditched them.

Also considering how long Apple have been doing the iPhone, which really isn't very long, compared to people who had been in it for a VERY VERY long time, they blew them out of the water so quickly. Now Apple have got the groundwork, the rest are minor changes.

16. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    iTunes is nothing more than bloat., and it is the worst piece of malware i've ever had the displeasure of using.

It even installs Adware (the bonjour service).

If you're willing to pay, there is an add-on available for WMP that makes it compatible with the ipod/iphone for music loading. Realplayer also has ipod support under Windows XP.

I've benched a system, prior to and after installing itunes and theres a noticeable difference of anywhere between 10 seconds and 30, the itunes services installed really do add additional startup latency and can even cause system services to time out and stall login.

17. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Bonjour is not Malware.

Bonjour is a service which enables Zero Configuration to share things like Printers, work with iTunes Remote Speakers etc. It makes things work together easier without User Setup.

It can also be turned off Via the Services Management in Windows.
    Also, you can go into your Add Remove Programs, and simply un-install it.

That my friend, is NOT malware.

Now if you'd like to come along here, and sprout any more horse sh!t, go for it, but you're already showing your ignorance.

You complain about Adware and bloat, yet talk about Realplayer? Amongst one of the most hated, and most complained piece of software on the Internet.

I have also never seen systems stall or cause any other problems that you speak of.

Plus, if you install things onto your computer, without then tweaking the Services Configuration, you have no real right to say anything else about System performance.

Good bye, and thanks for playing.

18. sepulchre

sepulchre Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX280
    Any nokia on my computer and its fcuked.

all my programs want to use nokia,virus alert.

19. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    On monitoring both installations, Realplayer doesn't install half the crap that itunes does.

And i know what Bonjour, purports to do. However, what the description states and what is truth are never 1:1.

Of the occasions where i have uninstalled itunes from a computer, Bonjour service has remained on most of them, and there has never been a clear cut way of removing them barring cmd line service deletion or removing the service registry keys.

I can still reproduce login stalls on my sisters notebook after having installed itunes, and having done a quick search, it seems im not alone in seeing performance drop after installation of itunes.

20. sepulchre

sepulchre Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX280
    You use podcasts because you can't listen at the broadcast times.

Who actually listens to their podcasts in entirety, very few.

I have my radio on 24/7, LITERALlY, not for music but for sport and talk.

So humbug to you.