Nokia claims virtually all Apple devices violate its patents

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    Fixed. :)

2. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X
    I remember the Nokia 3310, everyone had that thing. These days I do not have any experience with Nokia. Most friends of mine have a HTC or an iPhone. And I think that they both rock.

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700...
    You forgot to remind people that Apple tried to sue MS over the GUI....same with the mouse....Xerox created the mouse, Apple stole the idea, then tried to sue over it.

Given Apple's own history....I'd say they do deserve it. They tried to sue MS over the GUI, which Apple stole from Xerox. They brag about OSX "stability" yet take every step to prevent anyone from comparing Windows and OSX fairly. They joined the EU bull**** against MS over web browsers.... It's time for Apple to get slapped around again.... MS saved Apple and now Apple thinks they rule every market they enter.

4. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    You can't compare Stability because they're two very different operating systems.

5. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung
    your logic is flawed. especialy because its different you need to compare :p

6. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    In before Apple fan boys.

Let's not start MS vs. Apple please....

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Meh - You have to give Apple some credit, I mean they basically revolutionized the cell industry with the iPhone, whether you like it or not.

8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    Revolutionized would be a bit of an exaggeration but the fact that they're around and focus heavily on aesthetics to lure in their... customers forces other companies to put some consideration into aesthetics rather than outright ignore them. Apple are part of the reason why M$ put a little more focus into appearance in Vista and 7 rather than have it butt-fugly as possible. But that's as much credit as I'll ever give Apple, aesthetics, that's it.

FFS they decided to switch to Intel before Intel were working on the Core 2 architecture. They decided to do the switch to Intel during the reign of Netburst.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I think it's more than just aesthetics. I think what Apple really nailed on the iPhone was the extremely intuitive interface and I don't think anyone has yet to top it. Granted, I think things become a lot more complex when you're running multiple apps at the same time and I'd definitely like to see how Apple handles that, but yeah, the interface IMO is pretty damn revolutionary.

I mean the cell market was so stale with the same old crap before the iPhone, then afterwards all these different companies started popping up with all kinds of various phones trying to be the ones to "beat" the iPhone. I personally don't own an iPhone anymore, I own a Droid - but coming from an iPhone to the Droid, I noticed a lot of similarities, some improvements and other things that I don't like.

I don't really want to stray too far off topic, but yeah. I think Apple is pretty damn good at interface design. I was reading an article the other day at Engadget about how before the iPhone was released, people were releasing mock ups of these insane devices of what they thought the iPhone would look like, how it would behave, etc. No one even came close.

I'm like super excited and interested to see what Apple does in the future for the iPhone and even this rumored tablet they have coming out.

10. wubbles

wubbles Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX560Ti 1Ghz
    I hope they sue each other into oblivion.

11. DeMS

DeMS Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 270X HAWX 2GB
    It seems we're entering a time when everything is invented and patented.

Looks like there should be a stop to either stealing ideas or being able to patent ridiculous amounts of know-how and technologies.

Meanwhile, let me patent wheel-like shape, I'm gonna be rich in no time :bang:

People who edits music, DJ's and people who just doesn't care about what's sounding at all. Schyzophreniac costumers that are DJ's/sound editors and don't care about music are also included.

Yeah, really. You get sick of listening to all that music you're constantly working on. Hearing your mixes is cool the first few times. But it fades away pretty fast and leaves you with a pretty bad mood afterwards.

So yes, radio on MP's and MP3 players are justified, as people who doesn't care much of music and are gifted one of those devices will use it for radio plenty of this time. Non-computer-savvy people aswell.

12. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    It's also great when you don't have a data plan.... I don't have smartphone so don't look at me all funny. Can't say I've used it very much though. Was great when I worked at PetSmart at night and needed some stuff to listen to, you'd be surprised how fast you can get tired of the songs you already have. Better than anything over internet cause it won't drain your battery very much at all.

13. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    go nokia,

fight fight fight ;)

14. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  15. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Well, a couple of his points were related to the original iPhone, which is an even greater piece of crap than this "new" 3GS version. The latest iPhone is exactly what the original iPhone should have been.

16. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X
    That website totally does not tell you the truth. They clearly just wanted to bash the iPhone, not actually review it.

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    He's a satirist writer, of course it's not an actual review, though it does hit on a few good shortcomings of the original phone and does so in a very comedic way.

I wish he'd update his site more often =(. His book wasn't even that great. (Yes I own it).

18. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    iPhone suxx it revolutionized nothin

everytime i call my friend on his iphone he ended up most of the time hanging up on me by mistake.. till we finally noticed that his iphone was mistakingly hanging up everytime his cheek touched the screen..... yeah succh a great design... and tahts only one flaw.. dont get me started

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It has a sensor that disables the screen when it's near something, if his cheek was touching the screen and hanging the phone up then his sensor must have been broken. Pretty much all touch screen phones have a sensor like that.

And yeah, it revolutionized nothing, right.

20. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Nokia N900 is much better value for money than iPhone and in my opinion N900 just is much better. IPhone is just so damn limited and crippled.

But anyway, I just can't wait Symbian^4 devices! DirectUI+Orbit is looking very promising.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009