Noctua UH-12A Review

Discussion in 'Hardware Reviews and News' started by FrostWolf, Jun 5, 2019.

1. FrostWolf

FrostWolf New Member

GPU:
    2x Geforce GTX 1070
    I really enjoyed the Noctua UH-12A review, but it leaves me with a question I've asked a lot in the past several months.

Many versions of the venerable Noctua UH-12 are similar to a cooler no longer in production: The Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 (aka the Thermalright TRUE 120). The cooler was introduced in 2008; this may make it seem very obsolete, but I recently contacted Thermalright asking for the heat dissipation specifications, as I have a TRUE Black 120 (which is the TRUE Rev. C with anodizing).

They replied to me quickly and rated it for a massive 240 watts, unheard of back when this cooler was released.

With that in mind, I decided to take the plunge in migrating it from my 4.4GHz (constant max turbo on 4 cores) i7-4790k to my new i9-9900K, which I'm running at 4.8GHz (constant max turbo on 8 cores).

Under 100% load on all eight cores (Folding@home) with a similar load on my two Geforce GTX 1070 cards in the same case (Corsair 650D with the add-on mesh side panel, two 200mm intakes, 1 230mm + 120mm exhaust), with two Noctua 120mm 1300rpm (constant-speed) fans in push-pull, no core goes above 80C. I'm very impressed.

I continue to be curious how this would compare to Noctuas NH-U12A, NH-U14S, and NH-D15S. I really wish someone could dig up an old TRUE to check on this. Heck, I'd be willing to lend mine temporarily, since I've got an NH-D15S sitting here in box. I'd just really love to see how an 11-year old top performer rates after all this time when compared with the latest top-end gear.

[​IMG]

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    don't have a true 120, but i have a copper on hand.

it is to this day the heaviest cooler i've ever had.

3. FrostWolf

FrostWolf New Member

GPU:
    2x Geforce GTX 1070
    I don't know if mine is the heaviest. It isn't the lightest. But it is nickel-plated copper and due to its longevity, is one of the best values I've ever had. I think I bought it for $50 on sale, it's now 10-11 years ago. My first CPU with it was either an E6600 or a Q6600. The fact that it does as well with an i9-9900K as it did with those is still pretty amazing to me.