no wonder why ps3's aint selling so good

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by damien666, Mar 25, 2007.

1. StormVR6

StormVR6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti / GTX 650Ti PPU
    I'm not too bothered about graphics comparisons, all generations of consoles are much of a much when it comes down to visuals. I bought the PS3 on launch day, so far I'm pleased with it. I'm no console fanboy - I'll always be a PC gamer at heart - so my views between the 360 and PS3 are totally unbiased. I have F1, MotorStorm and Resistance; all three are fun in their own way. I would rate all at around the 8/10 mark, after playing them for over a week.

F1, although not quite a sim like GTL, is great intense fun and looks outstanding on my HDTV. MotorStorm is also great fun (especially online) and fills the gap when I want a break from the sim-like nature of F1. When it comes to Resistance, of course I've played better on the PC but for a console FPS it's excellent. The weapons are it's main strength but all in all it's a great shooter. I find I can play console FPS better on the PS3 controller compared to the 360 pad.

The wireless feature works flawlessly with my Wanadoo Livebox and no other problems have arised as of yet.

Obviously releasing such an expensive console in Europe three months after Christmas was madness, but Sony had no choice, waiting any longer would be even more mad. Many people are still paying off their Christmas purchasing, which explains the attaction of the Wii compared to the PS3.

I have no regrets buying the PS3 so far, yes the launch games aren't amazing but they're still great fun to play, the best is yet to come.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  2. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    I took a quick look at it in the Sony Store yesterday. Just played around with the media crossbar. They didn't have any games running at the time.

As I said before, the reason why it's not selling is mostly the high price. In most markets, only the expensive 60gb model is available. At it's current price point, the PS3 makes a good all-in-one media center, but a bad game console.

3. StormVR6

StormVR6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Out of pure curiosity I've had a look at both HQ videos. The PS3 version - in my opinion - has a higher, more consistent, framerate in general and the colours seem more natural. The PS3 definitely has sharper textures in most areas and displays, what looks to be, around 8xAF compared to the 360's trilinear filtering. Also the draw distance is better and there is less clipping. So no, I don't think the 360 version looks better. Although it's personal preference I suppose, I always like natural visuals or as near as possible.

4. Leatherface

Leatherface Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS (stock)
    I have to reply on this one as i agree on some of what StormVR6 says, i own both consoles 360 & PS3 and i would have to say i was scared a first purchasing it, of course the high price and all, but when i did i am glad that i bought it as the clarity in games is better then 360 imo, also the PS3 looks better on my HDTV then the 360 does, flame me if you will i don't care but playing both consoles 360 seems to lack some anti-aliasing or all but the PS3 games are really smooth, for my PS3 i own F1 and Motorstorm which i think are both fun games especially Motorstorm SP or MP dosen't matter. Of course people are entitled to there opinion but i am glad i bought one. I also look at it as there are not many games out now for the PS3 but who cares the 360 was the same way at first i can deal with it.

5. weston

weston Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275
    I agree that visuals on the PS3 seem to be more natural. The 360's lighting went a step too far in trying to be 'next-gen' and ended up being too bright or too dark for my tastes. It looks dramatic yes, but natural, not so much. Gives PS3 a more real feeling In my eyes.

6. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    weston..... w... were you watching hte same video? saying the 360's lighting went a step too far? from what i could tell, PS3's was, and is, MUCH brighter.

7. StormVR6

StormVR6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I think he meant - as I did - that the bloom/shading effects are over the top. Brightness isn't really a lighting effect as such and is something you can simply turn down if you want darker visuals. Since HDR popped its head up, many developers have gone crazy with it, some using it to an extreme. I love HDR in games but I also love realistic visuals and the 360 version does not look real to me. It looks great, no doubt, just not natural.

If anyone wants to look at lighting effects done very well, then check out Formula One CE on the PS3, that's about as far as you can take lighting/glare without stepping into the unreal.

8. Nafta

Nafta Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950/HD4000 MVP
    Update on sales figures here http://www.vgchartz.com/

3.07 million sold, pretty good I'd say.

PS3 - 3.07m
    Xbox360- 9.86m
    Wii- 6.47

9. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    hmm.... and so far, according to that website.... people in the Americas are apparently the only ones really gullible enough to buy the PS3.... seeing as Japan and "Others" haven't even hit the 1 million sales mark yet... while Wii's sales are relatively even across the board.

10. StormVR6

StormVR6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Err the US is a huge market and the PS3 was released there five months ago. So it's no surprise that the PS3 has sold more in the US.

And I don't see myself as being "gullible" for buying the PS3. How have I been deceived? I knew what I was buying and knew what games were available.

As I've said before, I'm happy with the purchase and don't feel deceived or that I've paid too much. Bloody hell, I paid £400 for a Sega Saturn thirteen years ago! So paying £424 for a top-end console with wi-fi and a good Blu-Ray drive is not so much.

EDIT: And the constant comparison between the Wii and the PS3 is pointless. Would you compare the Wii with the 360? I wouldn't, one is a cheap family entertainment box the other a solid, hardcore gaming machine. People I know who bought the Wii (over the age of ten) were bored within weeks, especially with the constant moving they had to do just to play. I see it as the modern day Monopoly; great for those family times - Christmas etc - where everyone gets involved and then away in the cupboard it goes 'til next time. Just what I've been told by a few Wii owners, or should I say EX-owners.

The thing is, the Wii is cheap enough just to buy on a whim, and yeah it'll be fun for a while, but just because millions have been sold, doesn't mean millions are still being played, does it?

It's a bit like EA and their massive sales figures. They sell millions of copies of NFs, Burnout etc, so what? Doesn't necessarily mean the games are any good.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007

11. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    yea not bad at all, though the next 3 or 4 weeks will really show how the console is selling. i do wonder how accurate those number are though, personally im having trouble trusting or taking seriously a site that replaces the letter S with a letter Z in their name :grin: .

12. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Storm: i will admit that as of right now, i'm kinda bored with it. only play it sometimes... mostly due to the fact that i have a killer PC to play too. That'll probably change when new, better games come out for Wii such as Metroid Prime 3 and Super Smash Bros. which are supposed to have multiplayer capabilities too. I plan on picking up a copy of Super Paper Mario when it's released on the 9th.... that should re-kindle my interests. Might even hook my Wii back up in here on my computer monitor.

13. StormVR6

StormVR6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    If I had your rig mate, I'd be bored with anything else! lol.

I should update my specs, I sold my PC last week, I was using it for work for the last few months. It's not really practical to have a full gaming rig at home anymore, due to kids and lack of room. So a console was the next best thing. I'd already owned the 360 and didn't think much of it, the PS3 was the logical step in my case.

I was going to buy the Wii but after many negative comments from people I know, decided against it. I honestly think it would irritate me once the novelty wore off.

14. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    yeah.... it does find it hard to see anything else as looking better. i mean... Rainbow Six: Vegas..... utterly farking BEAUTIFUL game. Only thing i need is a faster CPU. my X2 3800+ doesn't really seem to cut it.

15. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    1.1 million PS3s sold in by February 2007. These numbers are more accurate.
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=218251

I'll post the official numbers when I get them. NPD hasn't released the March retail stats for consoles yet.

NexGen Wars estimates, based on market trends, that 2.7 million PS3s have sold so far.
    http://nexgenwars.com/

16. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  17. Valuga

Valuga Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD/ATi Radon HD4870
    umm... i whant PS3 more than box360 or Wee!! its becos i like PS games more then boxes or nindendos. about cost of PS3... well new PC cost WAAAY MORE :p

18. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    yeah.... but a new PC can do WAAAY more. i know someone's gonna probably say "Well, you could install Linux on a PS3" (not sure if that's been done yet....).... but doing anything like that would be completely voiding your warranty, especially if doing something as simple as... well... not using a Sony branded video cable voids the warranty if they know about it.

19. Valuga

Valuga Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD/ATi Radon HD4870
    aint there firefox in PS3?? :O

20. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    well, being that almost all games are jumping ship from sony and going multi there may be a problem here