no wonder why ps3's aint selling so good

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by damien666, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Nafta

Nafta Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950/HD4000 MVP
    PS3 has a 5400rpm drive. 2.5 SATA 60GB or 20GB

2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Yeah its a good console,got myself a JP one for just under £300...Only problem is that once you are done with MS and Fall of Man there really is not that much else game wise at the moment,plus i hope at some stage they sort out the game loading because its very sllloooooowwwwww, bluy-rays fault.

Is it worth the asking price of £425 here in the UK...No
    Will it be a must buy once there are more game out and there is a price cut...Yes.

3. Slient Bob

Slient Bob Master Guru

GPU:
    9800GX2 - 24" Dell 2408WFP
    I personally think it is worth the price! Yeh, it may be more than the other consoles on the market but it has a Blu-Ray player, completely wireless, the internet is free, full HD etc.

Obviously when there are more games it will be more worth the money but you do get quite alot as it is! Also, if you create different accounts ie a Japanese one or an American one, then you can get all of their online content as well!

4. Templ

Templ Guest

Depends of the person who plays it. Personally, i would have stopped playing it as soon as i would reach level 15 (that's when the bandits start wearing ebony armor :puke3:, and the enemies are tougher than they were when your char was at level 1). But thanks to the mods, i stopped at level 50 (200 hours). :p

And about the graphic, the PS3 version would have looked better if the brightness was set lower. Course, the PC version looks far better than both, thanks to some talanted modders (Natural weather, Quarl's texture pack 3). But for those that don't have the money to buy a decent PC (anything above 6800gt will look better than the console versions... provided you install the right mods and do some performance tweaks), the console versions are a good buy (as long as the level scaling doesn't bother you, that is).

5. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    it's like Templ said. the first time i watched those comparison videos... i was actually leaning more towards the 360 version. to me, the only things that looked different in the PS3 version was that the clouds looked a little better, and it was a LOT more shiny.

and don't even talk to me about MotorStorm. My friend and i both played that out at Best Buy.... my god was it horrid. nothing like a game that looked WAY too overhyped in it's videos. the video showed it basically as being this fast paced almost Road Rage-esque game.... but after playing it, it seems slow as hell, and it also feels like the gravity isn't quite normal. you hit a small bump, and fly 30' into the air. Nothing about that game felt CLOSE to what could be considered "fast". even the motorcycles seemed sluggish.

and Copey.... i think Nintendo had one of the fastest selling first two days or whatever..... and still is surpassing PS3's.... seeing as you still can rarely find a Wii anywhere... and yet my local Best Buy had like 38 PS3's sitting on a pallete by the front doors, next to maybe 5 360's, and not a single Wii in sight. I don't think i've even SEEN any other Wii's on store shelves since i bought mine on day 1.

6. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    i got owned. I even got the rpm speed wrong on the 360 lol. I don't see why the loading of textures is smoother on the ps3 then, maybe they just optimized it with the year they had.

7. Nafta

Nafta Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950/HD4000 MVP
    Problably it's more optimized. Do anyone know if Oblivion runs better on a 360 with HDD? Wonder if that could have something to do with stutters or loading if it is on a Core system.

@ ElementalDragon

Did you happen to play the Demo of Motorstorm. Cause it is slower than the real game. I can't really comment on other racing, offroad games how fast they are. But I think Motorstorm is pretty fast paced. Raingod Mesa with racing cars is so fast and bumpy it's hard to stay on track :cops: And Sidewinder gulch with bikes.. omg it's hard when boosting alot.

8. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Definitely. I remember when it first came out bethesda was like "pleeez buy the hdd if you're going to play this game". It stutters like hell with the hdd, like I said earlier I feel bad for the people without hdd's.

9. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    ..... find it kinda hard to believe that they'd make a demo run slower than the real deal..... but then again i'll never find out cause i'll never buy a PS3 unless i can find one for dirt cheap.... and i mean DIRT CHEAP. but the chances of that happening anytime soon are slim to none. probably be seeing a PS4 before PS3 becomes remotely close to what could possibly be considered dirt cheap, especially with an 80GB model supposedly coming out sometime soon.

10. darknight909

darknight909 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    only the 60gb model has wireless internet built into it

and its in the network connection settings

im loving my ps3 so far I just cant wait for MGS4 to come out

11. OATKK

OATKK Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 460 1 GB
    I have both of them XBOX 360 and PS3 .In this game The Oblivion I think the graphic quality on PS3 is look better than XBOX 360 a lot.

The self shadows Shadows on grass are appear on PS3 but XBOX 360 no, and HDR effect is looking good on PS3 but no sign on XBOX 360 . So if you not have seen the real think don't start some stupid like this thread.:behead:

12. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    ok you just arent making any sense at all... this has been a pretty good thread so far, theres been talk about the video comparisons of Oblivion that were posted on gametrailers.com and some good points have been made for and against regarding both, the 360 and PS3 version. furthermore the thread also has various informative posts about the PS3 and various things associated with it so how exactly is this thread stupid ?

might be an idea to read the thread a bit before making statements like that ;)

13. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    imo the ps3 version looks like it has hdr turned off or a lower quality version of it. Hence the uniformly bright picture in all scenes. Hdr gives the scene more contrast which the ps3 version seems to be lacking. I would have to see it with my own eyes though as those vids are low quality(hd my ass).

14. Nafta

Nafta Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950/HD4000 MVP
  15. willvx

willvx Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 640/1880
    FWIW and just some thoughts, I've noticed a lot of talk about the overly bright appearance of the PS3 when comparing cross-platform games. I do agree the PS3 does indeed have a "washed-out" or "overbright" appearance when compared to the 360.

The PS3 does seem to have an inherently brighter output, as I've noticed on my current display which has both a PS3 and 360 attached to different source inputs. I've found that by simply lowering the brightness and upping the contrast for the PS3 source output alleviates the problem almost entirely.

However, I would say the colors do appear a little richer on the 360 in general. The PS3's washed-out appearance looks very similar to what happens when you set the gamma too high on a PC GPU, as seen in games and/or video playback. Meaning, it could just be a matter of the settings on the PS3's RSX GPU output, and I would think the "washed-out look" could likely fixed with a firmware update, i.e. altering the GPUs gamma, brightness, and contrast settings. I could be wrong however, but like I said altering my TV's settings makes the "issue" pretty much null for me.

16. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    was just down at my local Wal Mart again.... they had 4 PS3's in their game cabinet.... don't know if there were more in the back or anything, and still no Wii's. they said they're getting like 26 in tonight..... but chances are they'll be gone by 4AM. they keep getting calls about Wii's.... but almost never a call about a PS3. They actually got a call about the Wii's while i was standing there.

17. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Does that make you cream in your pants? lol j/k

18. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    well.... it does make me laugh at all the people that have been saying PS3 had the fastest selling launch, and that the PS3 is the most popular console out of this generation.

19. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    thats just fanboy talk really, the PS3 has had a pretty solid start while a lot of websites have tried to throw mud at sony only because it seems to be the trend at the moment but theres no denying that the Wii is currently the most desirable of the three for the avarage consumer while the 360 is the one to go with for the instant "next-gen" experience. only problem i have with the Wii is... Where are all the games ? i got Zelda... i got Wii Sports wich came with the console and i got Wii Play wich i got with the additional controller but apart from Zelda those games are mere curiosities. either of them offer no real content and while Zelda is a fine game, you cant help but think that it all could have been and was done on a gamecube. Nintendo really needs to pull their finger out and start announcing some proper games with real content in them.

i own all of the consoles and at the moment the Wii is feeling like the weakest link. ive had the Wii since launch and the PS3 for a week now and ive already had more fun and play hours with PS3 then the Wii wich sits there collecting dust :( .

the 360 however is a different thing, the games for it are really high quality most of the time and no matter what way you look at it, the console at this present time offers the best bang for the buck. there are only 2 major things putting me down with the 360 and those are the build quality wich is just downright poor. had my 360 in maintenence twice now, first time was 2 days after the consoles launch and the console still has a habit of locking up every now and then no matter what game i play + the tech support is totally horrible here in northern europe. this ofcourse doesnt mean that every single console is crap, this is just what ive experienced with it and so have a lot of my friends across the europe.

the 2nd thing that bothers me is X-box Live, it requires a yearly fee wich i just dont understand since it only gives you access to online gaming and the games are being hosted by the users and this ofcourse comes with network performance issues since in Europe the broadband standards for different countries varies a lot so you often end up with laggy games, not as laggy as one would think but still... as a european, playing on a US hosted game also gives a slight disadvantage in terms of latency as many of you probably understand.

so next up you got dashboard themes, avatars and whatnot wich cost money to download, now how many of you PC users pay actual money for your wallpapers ? exactly... im a bit of a movie buff and i always have a movie themed wallpaper wich i download free from the studios website or from Joblo's Movie Emporium, but on XBL you get to pay for wallpapers and this is somehow perfectly cool and acceptable. am i the only one who sees the scam here ? its like somehow Microsoft has managed to manipulate the customers into thinking that it is actually cool to pay for crap that is quite frankly supposed to be free since at the end of the day you are decorating your X-box dashboard with big, integrated advertisements and on top of that you are paying for it when it should be whoever made the wallpaper paying you to use it or at the very least offer it free.

now if the above mentioned ( regarding XBL ) wasnt enough, now Microsoft has come up with a new system to make the XBL gold account even more "desirable". MS is offering quicker access to demos and whatnot for the people that are the owners of a Gold account while the Silver account holders need to wait a week or 2 longer to get their hands on this same free content. i guess some people find it ok to reward those who are loyal customers and personally willing to pay for all this but to me this kind of business is just disgusting in my book wich is why i wont pay for XBL and never will, i'll rather exploit MS's own poor system and keep making a new Passport account for myself so i can gain a months free access to live if i wish to do so or find the need for it ( a bit more about that later ). imo the real icing on the cake is that while its perfectly possible to activate a XBL Gold account using the menus of the 360's UI, in order to cancel your XBL Gold subscription, you will have to contact the XBL support by phone. now this if anything is just a cheap way of trying to make the consumer look like a complete sucker. surely if you can activate a subscription by simply entering some numbers and pressing some buttons, you should also be able to unsubscribe from the service by using the same method.

so now comes PS3. as far as the hardware goes, i think its capabilities have been proven and i think its fair to say that the PS3 can manage against the 360, atleast at the moment its looking like that although the current catalogue of games isnt nearly as good as the 360's. so all we need now is some games to get the competition really on a high gear.

i do feel the need to compare the PS3's online offerings to the 360's...

the PS3 offers online gaming with voice communications and the works for free wich suits a casual player like myself a whole lot better then the XBL system but on top of this you get dedicated servers hosted by either Sony or the company that is releasing a game. now to me this is a pretty good deal, you get pretty much better service from Sony when it comes to online gaming and you get it for free. you also get access to the playstation networks shop wich is a lot like the XBL marketplace but at the shop everyone gets the products at the same time if they wish, though there are some regional differences. it was also a pleasant surprise to see that my usually poorly supported Visa Electron card worked with the Playstation Networks shop, whereas when i tried to use the same card to pay a month of XBL Gold back in the release of the 360, my main account was treated with a permanent ban to XBL untill i could clarify my method of payment and i would also like to add that there was no way to backtrack from this so i was forced to create a new passport account after trying to contact the customer support via phone 3 times... but hey! atleast i got a new free month of XBL out from making that new passport account :p

with all this said, i still think the 360 is going strong at the moment, especially with upcoming titles like Bioshock and Mass Effect wich are titles that appeal to me and who could forget Halo 3 but with all the goodies the PS3 is offering combined with some quite impressive upcoming games, i think i'll be putting my money on the PS3, though when it comes to this whole console war thing... i already have declared myself as the winner since ive invested on all of the 3 consoles to make sure i wont miss out on the exclusive titles :p

sorry if this wall of text has caused any of you possible readers epileptic seizures as it sure was not my intention. i just felt like making a statement or 2 and i would like to point out that these are my personal thoughts and opinions and shouldnt be considered as undeniable facts. :)

20. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    well.... like every game console.... there's almost never a whole lot of worthwhile games right off the bat. Look at what's coming out soon for Wii though...... Heatseeker, Mario Party 8 i think, Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Bros., Super Mario Galaxy (which honestly looks a lot better than Super Mario Sunshine could have ever hoped to be). I'm sure there are others.... but those are just a couple off the top of my head that i'm really looking forward to getting my hands on in some way.

PS3.... now they have MotorStorm.... but before that? just about every time i saw someone asking for a PS3 (which was only like once), the people at GameStop recommended only one game to buy..... Resistance. Just like with Wii people recommended Zelda, and with 360's launch..... hell i don't even remember what was recommended then.

both the PS3 and Wii have some nice games coming out in the next few months. Granted some people think of "nice" differently than others.... but either way you look at it.... it's still going to be a race between Wii and PS3 no matter how much better one's graphics is than the others.