No SLI for GeForce GTX 1060 ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 4, 2016.

1. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    "Quadro SLI certification for workstation mobo" is very different than "CFX/SLI for Gaming certified PC gaming mobo".

Companies buying workstations with multiple professional GPUs for their employees can't expect software devs will (maybe) support mgpu setups it comes already supported in the software they use.

PC gaming enthusiasts can hope to have mgpu support, it's only an expensive hobby...Companies can't bet on that: it's a bussiness.

2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    So how many ppl rocking GTX 560/660/760/960 in SLI you see on this forum

Or for that matter HD7850/7870/270/380 CF?
    That's how big of an issue this will be, if it turns out to be true.

Many of us buy SLI/CF ready motherboards thinking we might go multi-GPU down the road.
    But comes Xmas and Vega gets released, regardless of how cheap I might get another 290, I'll be like
    Aloha Hawaii you did good, time to retire

because getting another 290 would be anything but sane :wanker:

3. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Well it just proves that they are working on SLi for workstations, so they are already invested in support for it.

4. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Exactly my thoughts as well.

5. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Well this is a very small demographic of Enthusiasts that just want good drivers full stop.

If i take my old WoW guild as an example a large % of them where rocking 660's or 7850's but then again a lot where still living with mom and not working full time.

All i'm saying is it would be a shame if SLi went the way of the dinosaurs for one group but not for another group.

Nvidia 2016: if you are buying a 1060 from us then you are too poor for SLi anyway so we never added it for cost cutting reasons. :)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  6. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX980ti
    Nvidia are annoying the heck out of me recently. I've been doing midrange SLI for years, first two 460, then two 660ti, before finally moving to 980ti tri-SLI because I finally could. And it has been great every single day (except for the 1500W PSU dying after a while, but that's another story). Now first they strip tri support from highend, after finally bring a new card generation that could run tri at less power consumption than previous generation dual, and then they even strip SLI from the midrange altogether ? Shame, shame, shame, shame.

7. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    can you confirm SLI working on the majority of the major titles you play?
    because i believe many people just argue: "yeah it's good SLI and crossfire are getting less love now because they didn't really work anyway..."
    while never having used such a system over a longer period seriously, let alone optimized it when they used it.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  10. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You never know, maybe SLI is actually there on the 3GB versions, and you just need to flash the 6GB BIOS to have the connectors appear :D

11. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Correct. But it is declining.

12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    [​IMG]

13. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Why? As with every technology as it advances, old tech gets dropped. How long are they supposed to support a tech used by less and less and customers and implemented in less and less games? I understand your POV, but tech evolves. Nvidia has at a certain product class always dropped SLI. It looks like they bumped that segment up a notch.

14. dean469

dean469 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480GTR @1385
    Moot point now.

Going to buy AIB RX480 instead.

15. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    lol :)

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    hehe made me laugh...

Fun fact: 1080 can't drive games at 1440p and all eye candy up to 144Hz. Still needs SLI until anything bigger is released. Same goes for Fury X so far. So how are we supposed to make use of our screens? Let along 4K screens with <60Hz. (Certainly not with SLI 1060s but...).

Multi GPU is in the dev's hands. Problem why I seriously doubt to go SLI anytime soon isn't the lack of 2way support or waiting for a driver profile. It's that I don't trust devs to implement it, it's as simple as that. They already could do more on average, and more work won't magically make them do that work if they haven't done so far. :rolleyes:

17. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    only way mid-low end SLI made sense was for people buying one today and another in 1-2 years, get the second for pennies, drivers already fixed, no need to swap the card for another mid range at about same perf

but even then, SLI just means more problems, i wonder though what happens now with DX12 taking care of multi gpu regardless of what nvidia or amd say they support or not, we'll see people with a 4 way GT1020 that happens to have good scaling on overwatch or something

18. FordLynx07

FordLynx07 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 FE
    With no SLi support, the card should be priced a lot lower/cheaper. Making its price close to 1070 will make no sense...

19. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX980ti
    Yes, I can confirm that. Minor issues on two titles that don't require that much graphics power anyway, none at all that refuse to work altogether. On games that don't have a SLI profile by default I just force AFR2 through the Nvidia CP, and it works.

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Assuming the majority of the titles you play are not new games?
    This is where the argument for SLI/CF gets complicated.

There are thousands of PC games, and we all play different stuff.

I'm enjoying SLI as i have a 4-5 year backlog so can run older games in 4k, i would never tell anyone to get a second card unless they were doing the same though.

I would feel bad if i recommended 2 1060's or 480's to someone who wanted to play new games.

RX480 performance for more than the price of a 1070....