No SLI for GeForce GTX 1060 ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Because they know people shelling out $1000+ for GPUs will also shell out an additional $50 for a connector. Lol

But in reality the 1060 just doesn't support SLI across anything. Only MDA, which afaik is only working in Ashes.

2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    SLI and CrossFire suck anyways, we have more than decade of proof.

3. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    I have more than a decade of both working 90% of the time - and when it works being well worth it.

Opinion vs Opinion as to whether either is worth having.

4. Hansel Hardcore

Hansel Hardcore Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GamingX 1080ti
    For anyone who thinks otherwise, this is not about Nvidia fanboys sticking up for Nvidias choice for the lack of sli on the 1060.
    Most people have been saying lately that multi-gpu in general is not as good as it used to be, regardless of it being an Nvidia or AMD card.

2x 1060's or 2x 480's just does not make any sense when a single 1070 is a better overall option, and will give you max framerates in 100% of games, instead of running sli/cfx and having to deal with patchy multi-gpu scaling or games that completely lack multi-gpu support!
    Multi-gpu's are only practical now for the high end enthusiast market running 4k or multiple screens, and this requires high end gpu's and lots of cash.
    Using multi-gpu on any budget card is not the greatest idea, so the lack of sli on the 1060 is not an issue, again just buy yourself a 1070 and save the hassle, same advice goes to anyone thinking of buying Xfire 480's.

Also this talk of DX12 giving better multi-gpu support in the future, i wouldn't hold your breath for it, so far DX12 multi-gpu support is almost non existent in most DX12 games released so far.
    And if DX12 multi-gpu support relies more on the game devs to implement it rather then the gpu vendors, then that is something that i certainly don't expect to happen much.

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Nvidia not pushing SLI is a good thing, I have yet to see evidence multi GPU has a future and the fact Nvidia and AMD have kept pushing it has always struck me as dishonest.

6. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    Another nail in the coffin for SLI but honestly don't know why people defend practises like this it's not like Nvidia don't have billions of dollars to invest in improving multi gpu support but they don't care about that they just care about the bottom line.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    .1~.5 now now "much faster" I would say that, that grahics are deceiving do to there scale...

None the less look like my next cards, 120 watts and power for 980 sound good, still want to see real specs and performance reviews, could also care less about SLI never ran it never will to many issue behind it that and I still use 60hz only monitor

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  8. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    It might be, to some extent.

But again, I wouldn't SLI anymore unless I were at 4K or 1440p with 144Hz + (and actually getting those 140 FPS), and I seriously doubt 2x1060 would work for that, especially given how crap Pascal is in SLI so far. Not to mention DX12 game like the new Tomb Raider don't support it at all. And there is no indication that the future will get any better so far for SLI/Xfire.

9. intellimoo

intellimoo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 SUPER GamX
    +1 love, brother!

10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    If a game studio writes a turd of a Game Engine then NVIDIA can't do anything either.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    People here talk about Multi GPU worthless. Other about it having point.

Did not one person notice that DX12 is capable to use AMD + nV GPUs at same time? There is no AMD to nV bridge.
    As DX12 game implements this feature, it will use any GPU in system it wants regardless of manufacturer enabling their internal multi GPU support.

Then PCIe has a lot of bandwidth available for multi-GPU anyway. Difference between AMD's PCIe 1.0 x16 and 2.0 x16 is damn small.
    So, nVidia using PCIe on card targeted for 1080p for SLi is not and issue.

12. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    The only practical case where we see this agnostic mgpu implementation working in a game is in the AMD showcase AOTS.

Don't hold your breath waiting for a massive DX12 game dev support of this option...or even "classic" mgpu support.

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Nvidia and AMD have had limited control over multi GPU support, and that is with api's of the past.

Now that we have DX12 and Vulkan, they pretty much have no control, which is why i agree with them phasing it out completely, or at the very least downplaying it.

14. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    At least you will get decent drivers.

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Drivers are decent from both sides.

16. dean469

dean469 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480GTR @1385
    It should be my decision whether or not to SLI my video cards, not Nvidias. Not happy about this. Now if I want to extend the life of my rig in a couple of years by going SLI, I can't. Don't like that at all.

17. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    And yet they release an NVIDIA Quadro SLI certification for workstation mobos.

Makes no sense to me. I get it people have being down playing SLI just recently but the whole idea is not to buy two cheaper cards to beat a more expensive one.

The whole upside of it was that you could add a second card much later when prices had hit rock bottom and the card was becoming EoL. That way you could match the very top end card in performance for very little money.

While gaining top end performance with two cheap cards then there has to be some drawbacks to it, which we all know there is.

It's a shame i think if Nvidia doesn't allow SLi anymore for it's budget range of cards.

When it works two cheap cards can be the only way for someone who is a bit less well off to experience high frame rates with ultra or highest settings and NEARLY all the people i know are set in there ways and only play a few games hardcore.

These popular games i talk of ARE SLi supported and will continue to be.

If AMD can do it with software then why not Nvidia? Maybe a bridge is not needed with such a low bandwidth card.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    So, how long is Nvidia supposed to use up resources on what is becoming less and less part of their market? It's a small fraction already. I used SLI from GTX 8800's up to SLI TITAN. Then lo and behold a singe GTX 980Ti pretty much performed the same...goodbye, SLI. SLI had it's golden age where odds were that the game you played would scale well. That is no longer the case especially with newer game engines which use techniques such as deferred rendering that break SLI. As some have pointed out it is up to the developer to build or use and engine that supports SLI. There will be mGPU support in the future, it just won't be SLI/CFX.

19. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Why wouldn't they? Maxwell based Quadro cards will be around for awhile yet.

20. dean469

dean469 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480GTR @1385
    Don't care. It should still be my choice.

+1 Reddoguk.