No Signal over DVI

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by dawumyster, Aug 30, 2008.

1. dawumyster

dawumyster New Member

GPU:
    eVGA/Geforce 6200/256
    Hi

I just bought a 22" Envision g218A1 (HDCP enabled) and am trying to set up a dual monitor setup with my new evga geforce 6200 (bought just for this monitor). I can't get a picture on the monitor over the DVI cable. (no signal) Here's a sequential list of things I've done:

*uninstall ATI catalyst/drivers using "The Catalyst Uninstaller" (my old card was an ATI) http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1275
    *download and install the latest geforce software - driver v6.14.11.7519
    *download and install the latest Envision drivers
    *Manually set the monitor source to digital
    *followed this solution: http://www.munky.net/hardware/viewsonic-dvi/

but somehow, my LCD monitor is still not recognized over DVI. Since my secondary monitor (VGA) work, I fired up nvidia's control panel and discovered that the system is recognizing the Envision (it lists the brand and the native resolution of the LCD). However, it lists that it's using an analog interface; the driver seems like it wants to push an analog output over the DVI port. I've read that this could be a pixel clock problem but I have no idea what that means.

As of now, I'm able to use the DVI to VGA adapter that came with my graphics card as a temporary solution, with my Envision using VGA and my secondary monitor using the DVI to VGA adapter. In this configuration, the driver lists the monitor as just "analog display" but I'd much rather use DVI as I plan on plugging my VGA-output-only laptop into the LCD when I get home and the envision runs a little blurry even on native res. The display blanks for a few seconds out every time I click on the nvidia control panel in the notification area also.

My specs:
    AMD Athlon 1200+
    1.75 GB Ram
    120 and 80 GB HDs
    EVGA e-GeForce 6200 (AGP 8x, 256 MB DDR2)
    PC Chips M484a motherboard
    Envision g218A1 (HDCP over DVI, VGA) and Compaq MV700 (VGA only)
    Win XP Pro SP3

Thanks a ton guys!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  2. tattool

tattool Active Member

GPU:
    Asus HD4870
    Try unplugging the power cord from your monitor for a minute and see if this helps. Possible corrupt edid....

3. dawumyster

dawumyster New Member

GPU:
    eVGA/Geforce 6200/256
    Thanks for the suggestion.

I pulled the power and VGA cables from the monitor, waited 2-3 minutes and fired it back up with the DVI cable in, but still get "no signal" :/

4. tattool

tattool Active Member

GPU:
    Asus HD4870
    I know I didn't mention it but did you reboot the pc by chance also?

5. dawumyster

dawumyster New Member

GPU:
    eVGA/Geforce 6200/256
    Yep. I actually did it first without rebooting the PC, and when then didn't work, I pulled the power, waited another 2 min, and did it again with a reboot.

I was also able to borrow my friends computer today (ATI X800, Vista Business) and try my luck on his. Using DVI, the monitor detected a signal at boot and I was able to navigate the bios just fine. When booting up Vista, however, the display showed the windows logo and the green vista loading bars but couldn't detect a signal once the PC hit the log-on screen (missing drivers, perhaps?) Anyway, I think (hopefully) that the solution lies somewhere in my graphics card.

I guess I should also mention that when I ran the catalyst uninstaller for the first time, windows threw an "illegal operation and need to close" error on me. It still wanted a restart though, which I gave it, and then ran the uninstaller again, with no error this time. I don't if that's significant or not.

*edit*
    I did some more fiddling and found that the graphics card thinks the Envision LCD is actually a CRT. Anyway I can force the driver to LCD? Also I've been getting some strange flickering on my LCD about an hour into its operation, where the top 1/10 of the screen will kinda flicker. This only affects any text that's displayed up there (file, edit, bookmarks, ect) that's displayed up there though, and the LCD doesn't allow me to change the refresh rate from 60 Hz.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008