No POST, Plz Help, Lost...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sykozis, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I found the P67 Extreme 4 debug codes here
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/50174663/12/Dr-Debug
    Its not the same mobo but the codes should be the same.
    There doesnt appear to be a code 62, so its down to trial and error.

Unplug everything (power and data cables) except what you need to get a display on the screen.
    That includes all USB devices as some can mess with booting.
    Reset the CMOS then set the voltage for memory correctly.
    Use a single memory stick, try different sticks and slots.

If it posts successfully, work from there to find if anything was causing the fault.

If still no luck, take the machine apart and rebuild it, give it a good clean.

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^What he said...

Also, Code 62 is Installation of the PCH Runtime Services (whatever that is lol).

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  3. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    if your troubleshooting with the mb in the case. try removing the mb and placing it on a test bench or a piece of cardboard. sounds like your mbs may be shorting. check all of the mb mounts. one may have backed out when you installed the mb or maybe wasnt screwed in all the way. try eyeballing the mb tray for bends or warps that may be causing a short. also check your cpu back plate for your hsf(if there is one).
    good luck!

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Is it completing post? I mean do you hear the all clear beep or does it hang half way through?

If it does complete you may want to try booting into safe mode, if that works it may be software related....

btw can u get into the bios?

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    ASrock boards hey,does this problem only happen with Asrock?

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Guys, changing bios settings isn't an option. You generally have to be able to SEE the bios to change any settings.

Currently, I get no display from any graphics card. It will be another fun day...

It appears code 62 is displayed when the system halts to allow time to select boot options. On the P67 board, after roughly 2sec, the code clears indicated that POST has completed successfully.

It was tested on an MSI motherboard yesterday at a local computer shop and appeared functional. All I have are ASRock motherboards that I'm willing to test with. I have a Foxconn ELA, but I don't have a heatsink to install on it....nor do I want to go back to a Core 2 Quad....

7. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    I didn't have time to read through the whole topic as I'm in a hurry, but I thought I'd answer nonetheless.
    Sometimes the problem can be very simple, like a lose power cable, or one of those manufacturer specific motherboard features messing things up, what I'd do after I check those, is to disconnect everything non-essential for posting (disconnect SSDs, sound cards and whatnot), and see if it works that way.
    Also try swapping components if you can (like your old GFX card).
    Hope you get it figured out soon.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Ok, my desktop has display again, though not on a display I can use long-term. I'd like to thank everyone that posted in this thread for their help.

The solution, though rather puzzling, came in a PM. I was told to put my P67 and i5 2400 back in and "troubleshoot it". Well, I spent some time this morning after my 560Ti wouldn't post reinstalling my P67 Pro3 and i5 2400. I decided to go straight to the 7870 for the first boot attempt, connected via DVI->HDMI cable to my bedroom TV (23" Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD). Using the DVI->HDMI cable allows for display on this screen but my SyncMaster EX2220 does not have an HDMI port and using my current DVI->DVI cable is not working. I will be picking up a new DVI cable this afternoon.

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Troubleshooting is always the cheapest route. Can you plug your monitor into the laptop to eansure nothing is wrong with it. Should have a connector in the back

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Tried with DVI->DVI, DVI->HDMI (also with HDMI plugged into DVI->HDMI adapter to have DVI on both ends). Don't really need the TV in the bedroom, so it will stay connected to the computer for now. Besides, I get a bigger monitor this way. Laptop only has D-Sub output....for which I own no cables...lol

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    This is what you get for buying an AMD card *trollface*

Seriously though, good to see you figured it out.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    lol, it's Tommy's fault it's working....I just put my i5 2400 and P67 Pro3 back in like he suggested and everything has worked since....except my 21" monitor.

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I wonder if it the monitor that's bad or what is it the dvi on the card itself. What connector are you using for the TV?

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I'm using a DVI->HDMI cable right now. Doesn't matter how I connect it to the TV....it works. First hour or so, I was using the DVI port on the graphics card and HDMI on the TV. Now I'm using HDMI on the graphics card and DVI on the TV.

My DVI cable is "DVI-I"....as is the 21" monitor and the graphics card.....could that possibly cause an issue? Maybe the monitor got confused? Found a DVI-D cable at OfficeDepot earlier.....but I don't exactly want a 10ft cable....the 6ft DVI-I cable is already 2ft too long.